Default Red Deer Walmart Shooting

Hearing awful rumours

RCMP to update shortly
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 08:54 PM   #2
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Sounds to be a targeted shooting. Pretty crazy day here in Central alberta, This shooting, Alix Bank Robbery and Stettler School lockdown for a potential school shooting.
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spetch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2019, 09:03 PM   #3
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetch View Post
Sounds to be a targeted shooting. Pretty crazy day here in Central alberta, This shooting, Alix Bank Robbery and Stettler School lockdown for a potential school shooting.
Yikes
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 09:45 AM   #4
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

a 69 year old man was killed in a targeted attack. The location just re-opened to the public.

https://rdnewsnow.com/2019/12/20/now...outh-red-deer/

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 10:08 AM   #5
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

The report I read suggested that the victim was a 69 yr old man who was targeted?

Will be interesting to get the details here
Old 12-21-2019, 10:46 AM   #6
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

I was curious because it just seems like shootings are way up this year.

I went to Stats Can to take a look and I could only find 2014 to 2018 stats.

Since 2014 firearm homicides have grown from 155 to 249, 2017 was a banner year with 269, last year was 249.

In terms of the firearms used, the main weapon of choice was handguns with the majority of last year being 143.

As a testiment to the questionable talk about "Assault style weapons" ban, in 2018 fully automatic weapons accounted to 2 rifles and shotguns were 56. Of course its likely that the fully auto's were already on the banned list. The stat I have is what percentage of the guns used were illegal.

In Toronto this year there have been 20 firearms related deaths but they set a record in terms of shootings as it hit 267 shootings by August up 15 on the total of Toronto shootings of the year before.

In Calgary there have been 60 shootings between Jan and Aug. that was double the year before in the same time frame.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 11:14 AM   #7
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I was curious because it just seems like shootings are way up this year.

I went to Stats Can to take a look and I could only find 2014 to 2018 stats.

Since 2014 firearm homicides have grown from 155 to 249, 2017 was a banner year with 269, last year was 249.

In terms of the firearms used, the main weapon of choice was handguns with the majority of last year being 143.

As a testiment to the questionable talk about "Assault style weapons" ban, in 2018 fully automatic weapons accounted to 2 rifles and shotguns were 56. Of course its likely that the fully auto's were already on the banned list. The stat I have is what percentage of the guns used were illegal.

In Toronto this year there have been 20 firearms related deaths but they set a record in terms of shootings as it hit 267 shootings by August up 15 on the total of Toronto shootings of the year before.

In Calgary there have been 60 shootings between Jan and Aug. that was double the year before in the same time frame.
Makes you wonder what could be the main factor for the increase? easy of guns (stolen or not) availbilty? increased drug crime? economy turndown? who knows but it does make me wonder why the jump. I would say its probably a mix of everything. I know out here in rural alberta theft seems on the way up big time. Criminals know that response time is slower out here and that the crown just doesn't have to time to deal with cases unless they are major ones. The deadline for trial law seems to have made smaller crimes easier for criminals to get away with. .
Old 12-21-2019, 11:47 AM   #8
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I think its all three to be honest, plus add in a rise of organized gangs especially in Toronto fueled by the easy profits of opioids. I know people in rural areas of Alberta feel like they're under siege and not being listened to in terms of the robberies that are happening where you see long response times.

I think in terms of guns, its less about gun thefts and the huge profit to be made by gun smuggling with the approval of the Chinese government for example. We need to do a better job of defending our borders from smuggling.

I know that with the economic slump in Alberta that there are lots of angry and depressed people as well.

I'm also going to say this, the Chinese government is a major part of the problem in terms of opioids and firearms they're elbows deep into the hard currency profit of drugs and gun smuggling.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2019, 10:25 AM   #9
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Now police are confident that it was NOT a targeted attack. 2 suspects arrested and a murder charge laid.

Quote:
Police say the victim, Charles (Jim) Williams, 69, and his wife were leaving the south-end Walmart when Williams was approached by an individual unknown to them. There was an altercation and Williams was fatally shot.

The suspect then fled the scene in a stolen vehicle being operated by a female.
https://rdnewsnow.com/2019/12/22/bre...medium=twitter

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Old 12-22-2019, 10:51 AM   #10
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I look forward to learning more about the reason for this tragic incident.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 10:58 AM   #11
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

I work in the criminal justice system in Winnipeg. There are tons of guns on the streets. "Zip" guns, which are "home made" pistols assembled from various sources are everywhere here this year. People would be shocked if they knew how many people walking down the street had these guns on them. That's not including the usual sawed off shotguns, in addition to legal guns that are stolen or acquired through straw buyers.

We like to to look south at the U.S and turn our noses up, but we have a serious gun problem now in this country.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny199r For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2019, 11:56 AM   #12
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Police believe the motivation was robbery.

Quote:
EDMONTON -- Police say a fatal shooting at a Walmart in Red Deer on Friday was likely a robbery gone wrong.

The information was revealed in a press conference on Monday morning.

RCMP initially reported that the fatal altercation had taken place outside the door of the Walmart, but they now say it happened about 200 feet away in the parking lot.
https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/it-looks...ting-1.4741878

-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Old 12-23-2019, 11:58 AM   #13
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

And for what? For a little bit of money. There's more to life than a little money, you know. Don'tcha know that? And here ya are, and it's a beautiful day. Well. I just don't understand it. - Marge Gunderson
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2019, 12:00 PM   #14
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just heard the news confer nice on Ryan Jespersen’s show and the officer said it’s not certain but they suspect robbery was the likely motive.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 12:02 PM   #15
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

So after all the charges these 2 are being hit with we can only assume they will be back on the streets in 5-10 years
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 12:15 PM   #16
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
So after all the charges these 2 are being hit with we can only assume they will be back on the streets in 5-10 years

Looking at the accused Facebook it looks like he just got out of jail a month ago
Old 12-23-2019, 02:00 PM   #17
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Looking at the accused Facebook it looks like he just got out of jail a month ago

Yeah, looks like a solid citizen.