Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-15-2013, 12:17 PM   #81
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Lobo might actually be an intriguing villain.. maybe some how Luthor is responsible for him coming here, gets a hold of some of the Krypton tech to communicate outside the planet.. places a big bounty on Supermans head.

He has a big following despite seeing limited action in the comics over the years.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:18 PM   #82
rayne008
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesrule_kipper34 View Post
Random rant below:

That was a really crappy movie, and I'm one of the biggest Superman fans I know.

When in Clark Kent's life does he decide to start "testing" his powers and understanding the true limits? Was it really in his late 20's/early 30's right before Zod makes an appearance or was that just terrible flow in the film and it was in fact much earlier?

Life lesson, your father tells you with a stern hand gesture not to save him during a tornado so you watch him die? The world is not ready? Please.

Lois and Clark fall in love after 15 minutes together? Wow.

Absolutely no flow in that film, the constant random flashbacks were boring and confusing.

Henry Cavill was a better Superman than Brandon Routh and he looked the part better too...agree with photon he did channel Chrisopher Reeves at times both in looks and mannerisms.

The CGI was insanely good even though the fighting scenes were a bit overdone.

Superman goes through a Kryptonian ship and kills almost every last Kryptonian without so much as a care...but snapping Zod's neck makes him cry? Was this because he was the last one left? I just don't get it.

Amy Adams was a terrible Lois Lane, so was Kate Bosworth...at this rate just stop including Lois Lane in the films if these are the adapatations you come up with.

This is funny - I finally saw the movie this past weekend and had exactly the same feeling. The actor did a great job, but I really missed the part of him 'growing up' to become Superman and the part his parents play into that.

Now i may be bias because I was a fan of the smallville series, but I think the Jonathan Kent character was basically pointless, other than forcing Clark to become a drifter in his early adulthood.
rayne008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:16 AM   #83
flamesrule_kipper34
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayne008 View Post
This is funny - I finally saw the movie this past weekend and had exactly the same feeling. The actor did a great job, but I really missed the part of him 'growing up' to become Superman and the part his parents play into that.

Now i may be bias because I was a fan of the smallville series, but I think the Jonathan Kent character was basically pointless, other than forcing Clark to become a drifter in his early adulthood.
Loved the Smallville adaptation, and this was unbearable to watch.
flamesrule_kipper34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:57 AM   #84
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

How it should have ended... spoilers obviously.

Spoiler!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2013, 01:03 PM   #85
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
I'd love to see a fist fight between Luthor and Superman after Supes had his powers drained by exactly what photon said, a red sun ray gun.. which has happened before in the comics multiple times.
bwa? why take away the Super from the guy called Superman? I sure wouldn't be so interested in watching a Wolverine movie where he loses his claws, or a Batman movie where he gets hit with a stupidifier ray and forgets how to use his gadgets.

Lex is the smart one, how about he elevates himself to Supes' level? builds a hulkbuster (krypton buster?) suit and goes to town with all sorts of lazors and neutronium bullets and truck throwing strength? these movies are 100% CG anyways so might as well make use of it.

after the stupid inconsistent way kryptonite was used in Superman Returns, I never want to see those green shards of plot laziness ever again.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:02 PM   #86
Ark2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:41 PM   #87
macker
First Line Centre

Exp:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bx33F8GRSQU Sufjan Says
macker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:29 AM   #88
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finally got around to seeing this film. I won't go into the laundry list of things wrong with it as many of them have already been covered in this thread. I'll just echo the sentiments that this movie was just dreadful. For the love of god please do not let Zach Snyder anywhere near Batman.
J pold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:10 PM   #89
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I pretty much agree with all of the sentiments. I wasn't a big fan of Michael Shannon cast as "General Zod". For some reason, his entire look is better suited to "Non".

Also the Jesus/Christian suggestion tinged the way I viewed the movie the whole way through. I don't know if that was on purpose and highlighted more by Snyder, or if the Superman mythos can just be perceived that way.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:33 PM   #90
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J pold View Post
Finally got around to seeing this film. I won't go into the laundry list of things wrong with it as many of them have already been covered in this thread. I'll just echo the sentiments that this movie was just dreadful. For the love of god please do not let Zach Snyder anywhere near Batman.
Snyder did as good as a job as anyone with a boring character.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:12 AM   #91
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Snyder did as good as a job as anyone with a boring character.
Isn't that one of the central purposes of directing? To take characters and make them engaging and interesting to the audience. I agree that Superman is boring when compared to other superheros but a good director could have added depth to the character. I think that's what he was going for with all the Krypton back story but in Snyder like fashion that entire thread was unfocused, unnecessary, and poorly delivered. Not to mention well outside of the Superman mythos all together.
J pold is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to J pold For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2013, 10:43 AM   #92
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J pold View Post
Isn't that one of the central purposes of directing? To take characters and make them engaging and interesting to the audience. I agree that Superman is boring when compared to other superheros but a good director could have added depth to the character. I think that's what he was going for with all the Krypton back story but in Snyder like fashion that entire thread was unfocused, unnecessary, and poorly delivered. Not to mention well outside of the Superman mythos all together.
Actually much of it was in line of the Suoerman mythos, specifically the Man of Steel run written by John Byrne in the late 80's.

Quote:
In the issue, the planet Krypton is portrayed as a cold and emotionally sterile planet, an idea Byrne borrowed from the 1978 film Superman. Kal-El was not an infant sent from Krypton to Earth, rather, his fetus was placed in a "birthing matrix" equipped with a rocket engine and Jor-El's experimental warp drive, with Kal-El gestating during the trip to Earth. Once the rocket landed, Kal-El was fully "born" on Earth. This also made him "born" an American, a plot point that would be used in Armageddon 2001, a DC Comics storyline which explored possible futures, one of which featured Superman becoming President of the United States.[18]

The issue showed that Clark's abilities developed gradually in the yellow sun environment, starting with resistance to injury, with his ability to fly being the last to emerge. It took until his late teen years for all of his powers to develop, thus, Clark only adopted the Superman identity in adulthood, and never was Superboy.
Byrne also established that on Krypton there are no natural births, and that children are "born" to only serve one purpose in life. Much like how Zod's purpose was to ensure the survival of the race.

More here: http://comicbook.com/blog/2013/06/21...rnes-superman/

And other works here: http://thisisinfamous.com/forging-ma...rman-relaunch/

Last edited by trackercowe; 07-28-2013 at 10:59 AM.
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote