Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2012, 08:29 AM   #1
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:
Default Roku Streaming Player

Does anyone have any experience with these? Reading on them they seem like they may be pretty good and they are fairly cheap.
If any one is familiar with them I want to know what kind of channels do they have? Can we get local news and such on them? They say they have HD but is this only a few channels, or most, or all of them.

There is not a lot of info on their website so that does not help.
http://www.roku.com/ca
Superflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:57 AM   #2
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

I meant to put this in the Tech area. Can someone please move it? But then again it kind of fits here as well.
Superflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:00 AM   #3
CKPThunder
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superflyer View Post
Does anyone have any experience with these? Reading on them they seem like they may be pretty good and they are fairly cheap.
If any one is familiar with them I want to know what kind of channels do they have? Can we get local news and such on them? They say they have HD but is this only a few channels, or most, or all of them.

There is not a lot of info on their website so that does not help.
http://www.roku.com/ca

I was looking into getting a Roku as well since the American version had a lot channels that I was interested in. However, the Canadian version is limited in the channels that they are going to offer at launch. Here is the list of channels that the Canadian version will have at launch (more arriving every day!) that the Roku guy told me and from what I have read online. I asked the guy why Roku wouldn't offer Plex at release or any other channel that will allow me to watch my own content. He didn't know when Plex would be available.

Movies & TV: Netflix, Crackle, Crunchyroll, Revision 3, Flixster, Chow, Movie Vault, Pub-D-Hub, HouseofHorrors, WealthTV (free and paid), Break, Classic Westerns, EWTN.

News & Weather: WSJ, CNBC, Fox, CNET, WeatherUnderground.

Music: Classical TV, Rdio, Tunein Radio, MP3Tunes, Radio Paradise, Soma fm.

Sports: UFC, MLB.TV, NHL, MLS.

Photos & Videos: Facebook, Vimeo, Flickr, Shutterfly, PicassaWeb, USB Media Player.

Games: Rovio Angry Birds, Rovio Angry Birds Seasons, Rovio Angry Birds Rio, Jellyvision – YDKJ, Jellyvision – YDKJ lite, CobraMobile Storm in a Tea Cup, Noodlecake SuperStickmanGolf, Sony Jeopardy, Fieldrunners, Wheel of Fortune, CastleWarriors, Frisbee Forever, Downhill Bowling 2, Mouse About.

Other: TEDtalks, TWiT TV, iFoodTV.
CKPThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:32 PM   #4
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was looking into Roku and noticed it was $50 in the US and $90 up n Canada.

Anyone know if I could buy the US one and use it in Canada, ie is it the same physical device and software? Alternately, if I bought the Canadian model, could I use a proxy to view US content (Hulu and/or US netflix).