Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2023, 12:17 PM   #4481
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you're waiting for one, appointments can be booked at the Calgary Airport for Nexus interviews starting on April 12! I'd get in there pretty quick...
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2023, 05:10 PM   #4482
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
If you're waiting for one, appointments can be booked at the Calgary Airport for Nexus interviews starting on April 12! I'd get in there pretty quick...
Thank you for this! Been waiting 3 full years, booked in at the end of May
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CofR For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2023, 09:11 PM   #4483
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone stayed in Carmel by the Sea, Pebble Beach or Monterey?
Probably going to be in that area for just one night in April with my wife and 10 month old son.
Looking for recommendation of which of those areas to stay and any good hotels? We like at least 4-5*, something pretty nice as it's only 1 night and want to make the most of it.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 10:11 AM   #4484
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Probably going to be in that area for just one night in April with my wife and 10 month old son.
Looking for recommendation of which of those areas to stay and any good hotels? We like at least 4-5*, something pretty nice as it's only 1 night and want to make the most of it.
Are you going to hit up the Aquarium? One of the best I've been to. I was going to recommend the Best Western Beach Resort Monterey which is where I stayed some many years ago, but I see it's now a 3 star hotel called Monterey Tides, so probably a skip for you guys.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 10:13 AM   #4485
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hyatt Carmel Highlands is pretty nice, it's out of town to the south (Big Sur side) more on a hillside/rocky area. If you want something directly on the beach you could hit up Sanctuary Beach Resort, which is on the other side of town on the beach (it's a bit out of town, map to make sure the distance works for you).
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2023, 12:17 PM   #4486
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

I stayed at the Portola Hotel in Monterey which was nice, and a decent price for the area; but I would 100% recommend staying in Carmel.

Monterey wasn't a nice town, and seemed too touristy. Carmel is beautiful with much better restaurants and a nice beach.

Hotels in Carmel were much more expensive though (at least when we were there). In hindsight, i wouldve the extra price to stay in Carmel
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2023, 02:28 PM   #4487
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
I stayed at the Portola Hotel in Monterey which was nice, and a decent price for the area; but I would 100% recommend staying in Carmel.

Monterey wasn't a nice town, and seemed too touristy. Carmel is beautiful with much better restaurants and a nice beach.

Hotels in Carmel were much more expensive though (at least when we were there). In hindsight, i wouldve the extra price to stay in Carmel
Oh man I have great memories of Carmel.

When I was in Fort Ord for training it rained every ####ing day except for the 1 we got off to go to Carmel.

What an amazing day, hammered as #### and the lovely people of Carmel didn't deserve what they got.

Carmel holds a special place in my heart.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2023, 05:20 PM   #4488
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Are you going to hit up the Aquarium? One of the best I've been to. I was going to recommend the Best Western Beach Resort Monterey which is where I stayed some many years ago, but I see it's now a 3 star hotel called Monterey Tides, so probably a skip for you guys.
After looking a little more, its seems most places are 3* which is fine.
I wasn't taking into the account the vibe of the place, which is a lot more quaint than fancy 5*; so a good clean place with decent staff will do.
The aquarium could be fun; my son is 10 months so he'd be gobsmacked.

Good recommendation, though I think we're leaning towards Carmel if we overnight.

We have free accommodation in Cambria which is about 2.5 hours South of Carmel.
Now would a day trip to Carmel and back to Cambria be good enough? or is staying a night in Carmel definitely worth it?
Old 03-23-2023, 06:05 PM   #4489
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I wasn't taking into the account the vibe of the place, which is a lot more quaint than fancy 5*; so a good clean place with decent staff will do.

Good recommendation, though I think we're leaning towards Carmel if we overnight.

Now would a day trip to Carmel and back to Cambria be good enough? or is staying a night in Carmel definitely worth it?
If you’re travelling between Carmel and Cambria 100% don’t miss three must dos. Pfeiffer Beach near Big Sur, a walk in the redwoods, and Nepenthe store/cafe/restaurant on the coast.

Edit: looks like major flooding in the Monterey area so certain things and roads are closed. Keep tabs on that.

Last edited by topfiverecords; 03-23-2023 at 06:10 PM.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2023, 07:41 PM   #4490
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

I’m going with my family to tofino next week. Kids 4 and 7.

I’ve been a few times in the past but I’d like to explore a bit more. Tell me where to go, anybody have any experience with florencia beach? Any hikes you’d recommend? Decent eats? What is off the beaten path that I don’t know about?

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 08:10 PM   #4491
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Recommendations for hikes from Palm Springs/Bermuda Dunes?
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 08:15 PM   #4492
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Recommendations for hikes from Palm Springs/Bermuda Dunes?
There's a tram outside Palm Springs.
Not serious hiking but you go to top and can hike around up there a bit; get some great views.
If you do that, bring warm clothes. It's shocking how much the temperature drops up there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2023, 09:43 PM   #4493
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for the tip. We’re doing that tram.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 01:32 PM   #4494
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I would stay the night in Carmel rather than day trip
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 09:27 AM   #4495
Guest1

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post

I’ve been a few times in the past but I’d like to explore a bit more. Tell me where to go, anybody have any experience with florencia beach? Any hikes you’d recommend? Decent eats? What is off the beaten path that I don’t know about?
You hike to see a downed plane: https://www.tofinohiking.com/hikes/c...ne-crash-site/

I always like to do the Bog loop. Quick/easy! Or Radar hill has a great view!!!! https://www.tofinohiking.com/hikes/bog-trail/

Uculet is a little drive and a bit more populated than Tofino… a good day trip. The coast is more rocky than the northern part. There’s a few neat beaches for looking at tide pools and a lighthouse. https://www.wildpacifictrail.com/lighthouse.html

I love to go into Roy Vickers gallery in Tofino! I have a few of his prints. Being from the island, I dig West Coast Indigenous art.
https://royhenryvickers.com/

http://www.tacofino.com/ I don’t need to say anything more.

It’s been awhile since I visited, so there are bazillions of restaurants that are new and I haven’t eaten at. Wickaninnish is nice, but over rated.

Beaches: they are like someone’s kids. They are all beautiful in their own way. You could make a day of it and beach hop them all and figure out which one you dig more.

A guy I went to school with does fishing charters out of Ukee… If you’re into that, I can send him a message and get contact info?

I’m a few years removed from the island, so my info may be a bit outdated Have fun and know I’m jealous!
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2023, 09:50 AM   #4496
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post

Big Daddy's Fish Fry. I can't really comment on how it compares to other food places in the area but the food was good and the place was packed with a really long wait so it is obviously popular among the tourists.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2023, 10:11 AM   #4497
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puxlut View Post
You hike to see a downed plane: https://www.tofinohiking.com/hikes/c...ne-crash-site/

I always like to do the Bog loop. Quick/easy! Or Radar hill has a great view!!!! https://www.tofinohiking.com/hikes/bog-trail/

Uculet is a little drive and a bit more populated than Tofino… a good day trip. The coast is more rocky than the northern part. There’s a few neat beaches for looking at tide pools and a lighthouse. https://www.wildpacifictrail.com/lighthouse.html

I love to go into Roy Vickers gallery in Tofino! I have a few of his prints. Being from the island, I dig West Coast Indigenous art.
https://royhenryvickers.com/

http://www.tacofino.com/ I don’t need to say anything more.

It’s been awhile since I visited, so there are bazillions of restaurants that are new and I haven’t eaten at. Wickaninnish is nice, but over rated.

Beaches: they are like someone’s kids. They are all beautiful in their own way. You could make a day of it and beach hop them all and figure out which one you dig more.

A guy I went to school with does fishing charters out of Ukee… If you’re into that, I can send him a message and get contact info?

I’m a few years removed from the island, so my info may be a bit outdated Have fun and know I’m jealous!

Ohhh! I didn’t know about the plane! That sounds cool! We plan on a day in Ucue so I’m looking fwd to tromping around in the tide pools.

Thanks for the suggestions, the downed plane is exactly the type of thing I was hoping for when reaching out.

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 10:50 AM   #4498
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Any idea if/when the Westjet strike vote will impact operations at YYC? Planning a trip in a couple weeks so not sure if its a good idea to book it or wait
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 11:01 AM   #4499
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
Any idea if/when the Westjet strike vote will impact operations at YYC? Planning a trip in a couple weeks so not sure if its a good idea to book it or wait
On the weekend I heard that the timeline sets up for an impact starting on the May long weekend.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2023, 07:34 AM   #4500
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

They haven't been operating YYC-YYZ for a while now, but the news is getting hold of Canada Jetlines pulling out of the route now.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...gary-1.6800153

Quote:
After announcing an optimistic launch last September, with its inaugural flight landing in Calgary, Canada's newest discount airline has temporarily pulled out of the Calgary market and will focus on leasing its aircraft to another carrier.
With so many carriers and flights on YYC-YYZ this is hardly surprising.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote