Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2023, 01:43 PM   #1
Rejean31
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default What is the deal with Elliotte Friedman?

The guy seems to love creating controversy around the Flames. Now he is trying to invent a feud between Sutter and Kadri. Really getting tired of his act. If ai recall he stirred something up big time last year, I just can’t remember what it was as all about.
Old 03-20-2023, 01:45 PM   #2
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

The extra "e" in his name. Like he's trying to mess with everyone....
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2023, 01:46 PM   #3
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not sure he's creating as much as reporting what he's heard or folks have alluded to him. You could make an argument he isn't helping in reporting things, ie the Canucks coaching debacle, but that's really not the business ecosystem the NHL Media is in.

It's sorta like Frank Seravalli I fully believe most of his Flames opinions this year have been filtered Alan Walsh opinions. But that's the ecosystem.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 01:46 PM   #4
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just be glad it's not a Friedman-Seravalli podcast.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 01:47 PM   #5
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Friedman will not put anything out in the world with out all the facts 100% straight and permission to do so. The guy is inert without the go ahead, but he won't make anything up and won't stir a pot that isn't already being stirred.

Edit- The Canucks coaching thing is a perfect example.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 01:48 PM   #6
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Which is more plausible, that Elliotte Friedman has some kind of personal vendetta against Calgary and wants to ruin them for unknown reasons,

OR

The Flames as an organization has been ran horribly for over 30 years and are still horribly managed?

I don't think Friedman has some anti-Flames agenda. We cheer for a poorly managed organization. The results speak for themselves.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 85 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
1qqaaz, 1_Flames_Fan, 442scotty, Art Vandelay, Ashasx, atb, Atodaso, Badgers Nose, Barnet Flame, bluejays, Boblobla, Bonded, bubbsy, bucksmasher, cam_wmh, CETokyo, Cole436, ComixZone, Cowboy89, darockwilder, Dion, Ducay, Erick Estrada, Fan in Exile, FLAMESRULE, flamestar16, flames_fan_down_under, ForeverFlameFan, Funkhouser, GirlySports, gonzo29, GreenHardHat, Hemi-Cuda, Hockey_Ninja, howard_the_duck, Huntingwhale, ignite09, Inferno099, InternationalVillager, jar_e, Jason14h, jayswin, Jetfire, jg13, Jiggy_12, Jiri Hrdina, Joborule, Kasi, Mass_nerder, Mightyfire89, Monahammer, Mr.Coffee, MrMike, Mustache, OGmudbone, Old Yeller, ozzy, peter12, Poe969, powderjunkie, Psytic, Reaper, redforever, ReinhartonD, renny, ResAlien, RoadGame, rohara66, Russic, saillias, SaskyFlamesFan, SeanCharles, Sheva #7, Simon96Taco, Snuffleupagus, SuperMatt18, SutterBrother, TheScorpion, Toonage, Trolleydodger, Two Fivenagame, Ullr, united, Yamer, Yeah_Baby
Old 03-20-2023, 01:49 PM   #7
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I mean, its his job.

There have been insiders doing this across all sports around the world for decades.

I doubt he has an axe to grind with the Flames.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 01:50 PM   #8
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

He still can't figure who Michael Phelps is....

That was one of the best calls in swimming history!
Old 03-20-2023, 01:50 PM   #9
redmile04
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Which is more plausible, that Elliotte Friedman has some kind of personal vendetta against Calgary and wants to ruin them for unknown reasons,

OR

The Flames as an organization has been ran horribly for over 30 years and are still horribly managed?

I don't think Friedman has some anti-Flames agenda. We cheer for a poorly managed organization. The results speak for themselves.
This

+

Whenever he is on the fan 960, has good discussions about the flames with the guys & never once has he said anything that makes you believe he has a personal vendetta against the flames, not on any of the times ive listened to him.
Old 03-20-2023, 01:52 PM   #10
Toonage

Exp:

Its funny. Whenever Friedman (or any insider) has something negative to say about the Flames they're a fraud or its personal. NEB sums it up well.
Old 03-20-2023, 01:53 PM   #11
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

A few years ago he stopped only reporting what he gets from his contacts and started 'thinking out loud' more and more often. That really confused people at the time because he was seen as Bob McKenzie lite. If I remember correctly he decided to stop doing radio in Calgary for a bit because people were getting upset at the stuff he was making up, and he wasn't clear enough that it wasn't insider info.

He still does that today but people have gotten used to it. Just remember that not everything he says is him reporting on something, but him saying "I wonder if....."

It doesn't mean he's a fraud or has an axe to grind. Just gotta listen between the lines a bit more now
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2023, 01:55 PM   #12
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

CP hates insiders.

First Seravalli, now Friedman.

Weird stuff.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2023, 01:57 PM   #13
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

How could anyone be shocked about this latest bit of news?

We have a typically high performing forward who's having a horrible season production wise. We have a well known for being acerbic coach. Coach has multiple times publicly stated that the team doesn't have adequate talent up front, or not putting in enough effort. Then the coach puts the player with two of the biggest plugs in the organization for a game.

Of course this player is mad.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2023, 01:58 PM   #14
jaginla
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Are we really going to not believe what he's saying after seeing the product on ice this year? I'd be more concerned if the reports coming out were all only positive.
jaginla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 01:59 PM   #15
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe the question should be what is the deal with Darryl Sutter and the organization.

In his first stint here it was the same thing at the end of his tenure. Not talking to his brother, dark cloud over the management team, not listening to others, etc etc

And now this time around there seems to be another story every passing week.

Where there is smoke there is fire and I don't think this is a Friedman, or Seravalli issue (although Servalli might make stuff up and I'm don't think he's super trustworthy).

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 03-20-2023 at 02:01 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2023, 01:59 PM   #16
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
CP hates insiders.

First Seravalli, now Friedman.

Weird stuff.

Frank Seravalli and Elliotte Friedman are not the same.

Seravalli will regularly report inaccurate information just to get it into the world first, even getting close to that line where extrapolates on incomplete information to make a story.

Elliotte Friedman won't say a word with out everything being 100% true. He will sit on stories, in his own words, for months until he's totally sure.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2023, 02:00 PM   #17
Toonage

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
A few years ago he stopped only reporting what he gets from his contacts and started 'thinking out loud' more and more often. That really confused people at the time because he was seen as Bob McKenzie lite. If I remember correctly he decided to stop doing radio in Calgary for a bit because people were getting upset at the stuff he was making up, and he wasn't clear enough that it wasn't insider info.

He still does that today but people have gotten used to it. Just remember that not everything he says is him reporting on something, but him saying "I wonder if....."

It doesn't mean he's a fraud or has an axe to grind. Just gotta listen between the lines a bit more now
People were taking what he was wondering and reporting it as fact so he stopped doing radio.

In other words he'd get some info from an agent, player etc and then add " I wonder if this means X is Y" and then it would get reported that X was in fact Y.
Old 03-20-2023, 02:03 PM   #18
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

What did he say exact? Can’t find it in the last podcast notes on Spotify.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 02:11 PM   #19
Rejean31
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
What did he say exact? Can’t find it in the last podcast notes on Spotify.
He speculated that Kadri didn’t play in OT against Dallas because he went off on Sutter. Claims it’s plausible because Kadri speaks his mind and as proof of this referenced the “kiss my ass” interview after he won the Stanley Cup.
Old 03-20-2023, 02:20 PM   #20
NegativeSpace
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Maybe the question should be what is the deal with Darryl Sutter and the organization.

In his first stint here it was the same thing at the end of his tenure. Not talking to his brother, dark cloud over the management team, not listening to others, etc etc

And now this time around there seems to be another story every passing week.

Where there is smoke there is fire and I don't think this is a Friedman, or Seravalli issue (although Servalli might make stuff up and I'm don't think he's super trustworthy).

Agreed. That seems to me to be the story. What is going on with Sutter? This isn't some small decline. He was praised by the players for clarity of communication last year. The team is still playing a successful style (in my opinion), but something appears to have changed internally. I know Bingo has wondered who Sutter is trying to send a message to with the lines and with each of these reports coming out about Sutter I wonder more and more about that speculation.

Last edited by NegativeSpace; 03-20-2023 at 02:23 PM.
NegativeSpace is offline   Reply With Quote