Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-21-2023, 08:05 AM   #81
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I see the reaction to this news is pretty negative. I get it, thats social media these days. Everyone needs to give their quick, eye catching response before they think something through, but as a big jersey fan there are a few reasons I’m not worried about this at all:

- They will be using the same factory that the current Adidas jerseys are produced. The Fanatics version will be “almost indiscernible” from the current Adidas jersey.

- We won’t see major design changes until 26-27. Even then they are just hoping to update materials to include better protection against skate lacerations.

- Fanatics has been producing on field MLB jerseys since 2017

- Fanatics produces authentic NFL jerseys (although sold with a nike logo)

- Fanatics was originally brought on to create a cheaper (worse) version of the authentic jerseys to give fans more options for purchasing.

I have no worries about them taking over.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2023, 09:08 AM   #82
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

The thing that concerns me is the way they talk about having a vertical that allows for instant jerseys to be sold once a trade is made. Only way to do that is heat pressing, not sewing, the numbers etc. Which triggers my 'fanatics quality' alarm.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 09:09 AM   #83
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Something interesting mentioned in the ESPN story on this that I wasn't aware of is Fanatics has owned Majestic since 2017 and even though the on-field jerseys for MLB and NFL are branded as Nike, they're still manufactured by Majestic (the wording of the article is strange, so I'm unclear if they make the player uniforms for the NFL or just the in-store "authentics").

Also, the on-ice jerseys will still be made at the same factory in Quebec where the Adidas (and Reebok and CCM) jerseys have been made for decades.

This seems more like a rebranding of what we already get than any kind of radical departure.
I'm not 100% sure but I believe NFL game jerseys are still manufactured at the same factory in Berlin, Wisconsin regardless of whether there is a Starter, Reebok or Adidas logo is on the sleeve (just like NHL game jerseys are still manufactured at Saint-Hyacinthe, Quebec).
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 10:08 AM   #84
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
I see the reaction to this news is pretty negative. I get it, thats social media these days. Everyone needs to give their quick, eye catching response before they think something through, but as a big jersey fan there are a few reasons I’m not worried about this at all:

- They will be using the same factory that the current Adidas jerseys are produced. The Fanatics version will be “almost indiscernible” from the current Adidas jersey.

- We won’t see major design changes until 26-27. Even then they are just hoping to update materials to include better protection against skate lacerations.

- Fanatics was originally brought on to create a cheaper (worse) version of the authentic jerseys to give fans more options for purchasing.

All of those products you listed have had major issues. Fanatics is absolutely a terrible move for the NHL. Their quality control is beyond awful and their customer service is some of the worst I’ve ever experienced.

I vowed never to order from their garbage site ever again and will continue that. What a brutal company and an embarrassing move for the NHL.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2023, 10:27 AM   #85
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I'm glad you are totally fine with it but the reality is that a lot of their products don't meet the expectations of customers. I don't think the wave of negativity towards their products is unfounded as there are lots of examples out there of pretty shoddy quality.

https://www.sitejabber.com/reviews/fanatics.com
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2023, 10:28 AM   #86
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

More paper ball caps. Cool.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 10:37 AM   #87
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Well… this makes me care less about the ads. Absolute garbage product. The glory days or jerseys are over, and I’m fine with that financially.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 08:34 AM   #88
SutterBrother
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Bought a jersey, such bad quality I tried to return it. It was a 1 click order Iginla.

They told me I couldn’t return it because it was “customized”. I told them I bought it from them without customization.

They said “you can send it back, but we won’t guarantee a refund”. I was gobsmacked.

Only time I’ve ever reversed the charges on a credit card.

NHL is chasing the easy bucks with the digital board ads, the SN deal, the gambling promotion, and now this. They look so bush league and cheap.
SutterBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SutterBrother For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2023, 08:57 AM   #89
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was shocked to see that Fanatics has 3.4 billion in annual revenue. They are a big company, but I agree with most here that they have a reputation of #### quality.

I can't beleive one of the European sportswear companies didn't step up like Macron, Hummel or even Umbro or Lotto.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 09:38 AM   #90
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I'm glad you are totally fine with it but the reality is that a lot of their products don't meet the expectations of customers. I don't think the wave of negativity towards their products is unfounded as there are lots of examples out there of pretty shoddy quality.

https://www.sitejabber.com/reviews/fanatics.com

Maybe I’m just too optimistic.

I can’t see the NHL letting them not match adidas quality at a minimum. Their current NHL offerings are irrelevant imo.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 10:19 AM   #91
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Doesn't Fanatics already do the majority of the fan apparel (shirts, hats etc) for the NHL?

This contract is just for branding on the on-ice jerseys, and I agree the league is going to manage that and fix any quality issues. I remember when Reebok introduced the new "Edge" material for jerseys in 2007, and players complained about them not breathing and causing sweat to pool in their gloves. They fixed that right away by reverting back to the traditional air-knit material (aka Edge 2.0 jerseys).
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 10:26 AM   #92
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Doesn't Fanatics already do the majority of the fan apparel (shirts, hats etc) for the NHL?

This contract is just for branding on the on-ice jerseys, and I agree the league is going to manage that and fix any quality issues. I remember when Reebok introduced the new "Edge" material for jerseys in 2007, and players complained about them not breathing and causing sweat to pool in their gloves. They fixed that right away by reverting back to the traditional air-knit material (aka Edge 2.0 jerseys).
Yes… and everyone complains about the quality of the product. This isn’t at all similar to players having to adapt to waterproof materials…
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2023, 11:29 AM   #93
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

A few comments. This likely won't be positive or even status quo:

- The same factory will only be for on-ice jerseys which currently are not offered on retail. The current adidas retail 'authentic' prime green jerseys are manufactured in Indonesia. The MO for fanatics is to cheapen the crap out of their value chain in both design and materials. It's hard to imagine that the approach on the retail side will be any different for the NHL and that they will leave well enough alone here.

-Fanatics is the definition of fast fashion. Most of their hats, shirts, jerseys , etc. are designed with a quick turnaround from when teams win their championships, trade players etc., they have a product up and online very quickly for fans to buy. The time premium means a few things - they cost a lot for what they are, the designs are basic and unimaginative, and they are made very cheaply. The end product is disposable junk.

- The 'authentic' retail product is where NHL jersey buyers are most concerned and expect either lower quality vs. the current adidas prime green product or a massive price increase or a combination of both

-Customized authentic MLB jerseys are the exact same as the prior Majestic branded Flexbase jerseys and I can attest that the Nike version is the same in quality as the previous version, which is good. That said under the Nike brand they cost ~$500 Canadian for a customized authentic compared to ~$250-300 for a Majestic Flexbase authentic jersey before the switch in 2020 for literally the exact same product. If this is the NHL approach I will be pleased to see true 'made in Canada ("MIC") authentics for sale' but will obviously buy a whole lot less of them at the prices they will likely charge for a proper jersey. My worst fear is that they keep the MIC off retail shelves and force all fans to buy what will ultimately be a garbage retail product

-MLB customized replicas cost ~$150 - $250 Canadian and have glued on names and numbers that are absolute trash (That said Majestic Cool base replicas were trash before Nike too but were somewhat cheaper to reflect that lower quality). Also MLB & NFL replica and authentic jerseys are Nike branded, which means Nike has somewhat of a say on quality control at the end of the day since their name is on them. Fanatics clearly doesn't have any pride in their own name so I worry what that means for quality control.

Verdict - I'm a jersey collector and my plan is to buy adidas jerseys while they last and only buy MIC on-ice jerseys after the switchover which I hope will be made available to retail or failing that through team-issued sources. When it comes to customization I will only go through the Flames or third party customizers who use proper kits and materials (This isn't much of a difference from today because factory customization is already trash for even the adidas products).
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Cowboy89 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2023, 11:34 AM   #94
D as in David
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe I’m just too optimistic.

I can’t see the NHL letting them not match adidas quality at a minimum. Their current NHL offerings are irrelevant imo.
The NHL doesn't care about quality; otherwise, they wouldn't have given SN full Canadian TV rights. They've done nothing (apparently) to ensure that SN provide a quality broadcast.
D as in David is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2023, 12:13 PM   #95
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do we know how long this “contract” extends for?
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 12:15 PM   #96
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Fanatics deal is 10 years
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2023, 12:16 PM   #97
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
Do we know how long this “contract” extends for?
Three years longer than Huberdeau's extension!
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cowboy89 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2023, 12:36 PM   #98
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Fanatics deal is 10 years
Holy crap. Well that is just awful. Fanatics jerseys, sportsnet broadcasting, advertisements on every square inch, I really despise what has happened to the league.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2023, 01:52 PM   #99
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I think the on-ice gear under Fanatics won't be substantially different from what the players are wearing now. My concern is that Fanatics won't step up to bridge the gap between their Breakaway jerseys, which are of very low quality, and the on-ice jerseys, which are typically only available to fans through auctions.

The Adidas replicas are an excellent product. The bar has been set very high. If Fanatics is unable come up with a suitable replacement, fans will revolt.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2023, 10:38 AM   #100
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy View Post
Playing the game of hockey in comfort... I like it!
They should change them to a nice natural fiber, like cotton.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:

Tags
edmonton is no good.