Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2023, 01:42 PM   #5561
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1638985710974689280

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 01:44 PM   #5562
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Its not like the Liberal climate change plan shouldn't be put under a microscope either, its been a pretty big failure in terms of any reduction of gases, or strides forwards.

Right now I'd say none of the parties have any idea whatsoever on the Environment file.
I'd disagree a fair bit on that. There's a lot more that could be done for sure, but clean fuel standard, carbon tax, critical mineral exploration tax credit, Battery mineral supply chain expansions, etc.

They largely delivered on their plan which is pretty impressive in this era of politics. Pragmatic, reasonably funded solutions that don't destroy the economy in meantime. The plan is still up here if you want to see:

https://liberal.ca/our-platform/a-re...-creates-jobs/
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2023, 01:46 PM   #5563
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Han Dong voted for it and the Liberals didnt?

Oof...Justin...that is a new low.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 01:51 PM   #5564
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

The Liberals will no doubt brand him as difficult to work with and incompetent. Or do they just do that with the women who leave the liberal caucus?
Old 03-23-2023, 02:12 PM   #5565
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
Basically my thoughts are that if this happened once it can happen again. While people naturally want accountability for those who did wrong, which I don’t disagree with, I think the more pressing issue should be how do we avoid having this happen again.
"i don't disagree with" but yet won't outright agree to something which may be portrayed that you are criticizing 'your side'

Is it really that hard to just come out and say "There needs to be a public inquiry into Liberal actions, on Han Dong, and how Liberals handled CSIS's information, and on CSIS itself (your highest concern out of all this it seems)"? You can most certainly do both.

You can certainly at some point criticize and put some accountability on a party that you affiliate ideologies with, without betraying your ideologies. It won't make you a conservative you know?
Firebot is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Firebot For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2023, 03:29 PM   #5566
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

I am shocked that he voted at all, and that he voted for the motion.
Old 03-23-2023, 03:57 PM   #5567
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorfever View Post
I am shocked that he voted at all, and that he voted for the motion.
His CCP handler probably told him it would make China look better if he voted for it!
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 04:10 PM   #5568
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

The obvious best move for him to make is, "I not only want an investigation but I invite it and will answer any and all questions that result fully, no matter how long it takes, to demonstrate that these allegations are false". Then wait for the LPC to take all possible steps to prevent him from having to answer a single question.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 04:56 PM   #5569
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I guess since Liberal Dirty Laundry is being aired and they'd been pressed on the who stayed in the 6k per night hotel room for a while, they might as well put it out there now.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/trud...source=twitter

Quote:
OTTAWA - The Prime Minister's Office says Justin Trudeau and his wife, Sophie Grégoire Trudeau, stayed in a $6,000 per night hotel suite while attending the funeral for Queen Elizabeth II.
The stay at the Corinthia London hotel became the subject of public debate last fall when media honed in on the details of the $400,000 trip, after obtaining documents through access-to-information requests.
But Trudeau's office and Global Affairs Canada did not respond to questions last month about who stayed in the expensive river suite, which features a butler service.

Old 03-23-2023, 05:27 PM   #5570
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post
"Have you stopped beating your wife yet" and similar questions are examples of a loaded question, a fallacy where a question contains an unjustified assumption so the asker can try to seem like they're winning rhetorical points.
Old 03-23-2023, 05:29 PM   #5571
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
"Have you stopped beating your wife yet" and similar questions are examples of a loaded question, a fallacy where a question contains an unjustified assumption so the asker can try to seem like they're winning rhetorical points.
I note that Yoho still has not answered the question…….
Aarongavey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 05:34 PM   #5572
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:

Pretty sure he wouldn't have voted for it if he knew it would pass.
Azure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 05:43 PM   #5573
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post
"i don't disagree with" but yet won't outright agree to something which may be portrayed that you are criticizing 'your side'
Can you clarify what it is that you are saying I won’t agree to and what “my side” is?

Quote:
Is it really that hard to just come out and say "There needs to be a public inquiry into Liberal actions, on Han Dong, and how Liberals handled CSIS's information, and on CSIS itself (your highest concern out of all this it seems)"? You can most certainly do both.
Did I say that there shouldn’t be an inquiry? I made a comment based on my observation that people seem to be more concerned with who is currently being accused rather than how this could have happened in the first place. I’m not writing “hey look the articles mentioned conservatives were also involved in interference, rabble rabble rabble” or pretending that this isn’t a big deal.

Quote:
You can certainly at some point criticize and put some accountability on a party that you affiliate ideologies with, without betraying your ideologies. It won't make you a conservative you know?
Absolutely but there is a big difference between not holding people accountable for their actions and wanting to get the facts before assuming I know what is going to come out of an inquiry as you did by stating that(paraphrasing) “We’re almost certainly going to find out that the PMO was briefed on Dong’s conversations about the 2 Michaels”.

I think you’re getting pretty desperate in your attempts to frame my position as partisan when it clearly isn’t. I get that you don’t like my takes, but you trying to spin what I’m saying into something that I didn’t say by presenting a bunch of assumptions and hypothetical situations isn’t going to change them. Hopefully you’re not too disappointed by that.
iggy_oi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 10:06 PM   #5574
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I guess since Liberal Dirty Laundry is being aired and they'd been pressed on the who stayed in the 6k per night hotel room for a while, they might as well put it out there now.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/trud...source=twitter

This is a nothing burger. The guy is leader of a g7 country at the funeral for our head of state. Good lord we look like bush league losers.
Old 03-23-2023, 10:21 PM   #5575
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
This is a nothing burger. The guy is leader of a g7 country at the funeral for our head of state. Good lord we look like bush league losers.
Agreed, like, who cares about that type of stuff. There’s millions of dollars being wasted elsewhere, go dig for those stories.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 01:08 AM   #5576
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

New article from the Globe, latest on Dong including a defamation suit possibility.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/poli...medium=twitter

Quote:
The Trudeau government determined that there was no “actionable evidence” after it received a CSIS transcript of an early 2021 conversation between Liberal MP Han Dong and China’s top diplomat in Toronto, according to a senior government source – saying conclusions could not be drawn that Mr. Dong asked Beijing to keep two Canadians in prison for political reasons.
But when the allegations against Mr. Dong surfaced in a Global News report on Wednesday, the MP left the Liberal caucus to sit as an Independent.

On Thursday, he told The Globe and Mail that he intends to launch a defamation lawsuit against Global News, which, citing two unnamed national-security sources, reported the assertions related to Michael Spavor and Michael Kovrig. Mr. Dong said he would never advocate that the two Canadians should be kept in jail to benefit the Liberals.
Quote:
The Prime Minister’s Office and its National Security Office reached out to the Canadian Security Intelligence Service to provide a copy of the transcript after the PMO was first approached by The Globe on the matter 2½ weeks ago, the source said. The Globe is not identifying the source because they were not authorized to publicly discuss national-security matters.
The Globe contacted the PMO on March 3 to ask whether CSIS had alerted Prime Minister Justin Trudeau about a February, 2021, conversation where Mr. Dong allegedly made the suggestion about the fate of Mr. Spavor and Mr. Kovrig.

The Globe did not report on the alleged contents of this conversation because it was unable to obtain transcripts or a tape recording to authenticate what actually transpired.
Quote:
He said he is suing Global because, “This is for my family’s honour. The allegations are very serious. They are untrue,” he said of the media outlet. “That is not something that I would say.”

Global News did not specifically respond to the threat of a lawsuit when contacted by The Globe. “Global News is governed by a rigorous set of Journalistic Principles and Practices and we are very mindful of the public interest and legal responsibility of this important accountability reporting,” said Sonia Verma, editor in chief and VP of Global national news, in an e-mail.

Mr. Dong confirmed to The Globe on March 3 that he had a phone conversation with China’s then-top diplomat in Toronto, Han Tao, in February, 2021, that included discussion of Mr. Kovrig and Mr. Spavor but denied he advised Beijing to delay releasing the men.

“I was one of the two participants in the call,” Mr. Dong said in an e-mail. “On that call, I raised the status of Michael Spavor and Michael Kovrig and called for their immediate release. At every opportunity before they returned home, I adamantly demanded their release to Canada without delay.”

Mr. Trudeau’s press secretary Ann-Clara Vaillancourt told The Globe on March 3 that the PMO only became aware of Mr. Dong’s conversation with the Chinese consul-general after The Globe reached out for comment. Ms. Vaillancourt said Mr. Dong was not acting as a government back channel.
Quote:
A national-security source told The Globe in February that Mr. Dong at the time of the conversation with the consul-general was also under surveillance by CSIS because China’s Toronto consulate considered him one of Beijing’s strongest allies and lines of access into Parliament. CSIS’s code name for Mr. Dong is “Scarecrow,” according to the source. The Globe is not identifying the source because they risk prosecution under the Security of Information Act.

Old 03-24-2023, 06:05 AM   #5577
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

The hotel room was a nothing story and shouldn't have been a story - except Justin in his infinite wisdom decided to deflect and hide it.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 06:29 AM   #5578
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
New article from the Globe, latest on Dong including a defamation suit possibility.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/poli...medium=twitter
Jesus, the story did not even make Bob Fife of Maher Arar fame’s standard for what they could publish and Global published it anyway. Best of luck in the lawsuit Global, hopefully you have a large defamation fund.
Aarongavey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 06:54 AM   #5579
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
Jesus, the story did not even make Bob Fife of Maher Arar fame’s standard for what they could publish and Global published it anyway. Best of luck in the lawsuit Global, hopefully you have a large defamation fund.
Its only defamation if it isn't true.

We have no indication either way what exactly was said in that conversation.

What we do know is that Dong/Scarecrow was under surveillance by CSIS and Im guessing they may have been listening in on his conversations as such. Probably even recording them.

If so, Im guessing Global knows this and had no issue publishing what they wrote.

Doesn't matter though IMO....this is merely the proverbial tip of the iceberg.

As unfortunate as it is for this country, it sure is fascinating political theater. Something this Trudeau led Liberal party seems to be masters of creating.
Old 03-24-2023, 07:09 AM   #5580
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
I'm curious to see how Global defends the reporting.
If they published only on the word of an unnamed source and can't back it up with any evidence...

"The Globe did not report on the alleged contents of this conversation because it was unable to obtain transcripts or a tape recording to authenticate what actually transpired."

Let's see if Dong actually files a lawsuit. Wouldn't be the first time the Liberals hung an innocent person out to dry.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote