Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-30-2022, 07:17 AM   #901
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Skier View Post
We've somehow elevated Sutter himself to some weird infallible status. The record Markstrom had with the Oilers was clear over 14 games and yet Sutter insisted on playing him. Lots oif bad puck luck etc. however game 4 should have been Vladar.

I stopped believing when Markstrom coughed up a hairball and spotted them a lead in 20 seconds.

You have 2 goalies for a reason and it's not just for injuries. Sutter is sometimes just too stubborn.
You said it right. Sutter was in the minority in starting one goalie. The majority of playoff teams started their backups either through poor performance of their #1 or injury.
Old 05-30-2022, 08:29 AM   #902
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
An Oiler goal was also called back erroneously on a quick whistle in game 2, so it evens out.

The Coleman goal was erroneously called back, but even if the series goes to a game 6 it's far from a guarantee that the Flames force game 7.

The officiating in the series was bad, but it's not the main reason why they lost.

Lol. Yeah, we all remember Ron Maclean suggesting how the refs could improve their positioning so as to never miss another Edmonton goal again

Not sure why you select that goal as ‘evening out’ with the Coleman goal when there are other disallowed Flames goals to choose from

Last edited by DeluxeMoustache; 05-30-2022 at 08:32 AM.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 11:24 AM   #903
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apologies if already discussed, but am I the only one who thinks it's noteworthy that Calgary did not win a game after Zamler left CP? 4 straight losses.

tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 11:40 AM   #904
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Apologies if already discussed, but am I the only one who thinks it's noteworthy that Calgary did not win a game after Zamler left CP? 4 straight losses.

Zamler needs to be disciplined. Clearly this is all Zamler's fault. Down with Zamler! Y'all with me? Down with Zamler!
Buff is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2022, 02:36 PM   #905
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
I’m not sure what your point is in creating these straw men. Just agree the flames got completely screwed by a blown call in game 5 and move on.
Where's the straw man? I only posted facts, then concluded with an opinion.

I'm not going to sit here and pretend the officiating was the main reason why the Flames lost the series. They lost the series because they were outskated, outmuscled, outworked, outbattled.
Old 05-30-2022, 02:38 PM   #906
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:

I'm not going to sit here and pretend the officiating was the main reason why the Flames lost the series. They lost the series because they were outskated, outmuscled, outworked, outbattled.

Nobody has been saying game 7 was a guarantee or that officiating was the only reason the flames lost.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to heep223 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2022, 02:39 PM   #907
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:

Yeah I’m pretty pissed about the call. But I’m way more upset that it mattered.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2022, 02:39 PM   #908
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
An Oiler goal was also called back erroneously on a quick whistle in game 2, so it evens out.

The Coleman goal was erroneously called back, but even if the series goes to a game 6 it's far from a guarantee that the Flames force game 7.

The officiating in the series was bad, but it's not the main reason why they lost.
Did you forget the Flames tying goal that Toffoli scored the same game that was waived off for a quick whistle? Would have made the game 4-4. That is the even up
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 02:52 PM   #909
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Did you forget the Flames tying goal that Toffoli scored the same game that was waived off for a quick whistle? Would have made the game 4-4. That is the even up
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Not sure why you select that goal as ‘evening out’ with the Coleman goal when there are other disallowed Flames goals to choose from
In game 2, let's say the Oiler goal wasn't waved off, and the Flames goal wasn't waved off. Now it's 5-4 Oilers instead of 4-3 Oilers. What material difference does it make?

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
Nobody has been saying game 7 was a guarantee or that officiating was the only reason the flames lost.
Great. All I did was state my opinion... the officiating wasn't the main reason for the series loss. Was it a contributing factor? Yes. But it wasn't the main one.
Old 05-30-2022, 02:54 PM   #910
FunkMasterFlame
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post

What happened after game 1? Did somebody post a meme without attribution again?
FunkMasterFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 03:18 PM   #911
PuckDemon
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
In game 2, let's say the Oiler goal wasn't waved off, and the Flames goal wasn't waved off. Now it's 5-4 Oilers instead of 4-3 Oilers. What material difference does it make?
Exactly. It was evened out in Game 2 already, so there's no reason to say a call in Game 5 would even out a call made in Game 2.

Quote:
Great. All I did was state my opinion... the officiating wasn't the main reason for the series loss. Was it a contributing factor? Yes. But it wasn't the main one.
Why are you acting like your opinion isn't exactly the same as everyone else here? Absolutely no one thinks that officiating was the main reason for the series loss.

It's like if I was to say: "My boss is really annoying sometimes, but murdering him would go too far. We really shouldn't be killing anyone just because they're annoying. I'm not going to sit here and pretend that being annoying is enough reason to murder someone."

Last edited by PuckDemon; 05-30-2022 at 03:20 PM.
PuckDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 03:32 PM   #912
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkMasterFlame View Post
What happened after game 1? Did somebody post a meme without attribution again?
Not sure what exactly happened but he posted a thread in the OT Forum that kind of went off the rails.

I’ll post the link out of convenience but I don’t think the mods are interested in having that discussion continue in this thread: https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=188319
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 03:34 PM   #913
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I thought you were saying the Coleman goal called back in game 5 is okay because the Oilers goal called off in game 2? If not I am mistaken. I was simply saying the Flames had their own goal called off that game so the game 5 goal stands on its own
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 09:03 PM   #914
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames goal in Game 2 was another blatant whiff by the ref, in the wrong spot, thinking the puck was frozen becuase he was looking at Smith who was frozen becuase he had no idea where the puck was, and blew the whistle 1 second before Toffoli taps the loose puck in. Different then the Oilers goal called back completely.

Again, there no guarantee, but if the Flames rightfully got to Game 6 Saturday and pulled that out/the Oilers the ones to start beating themselves, we'd be in the middle of Game 7 right now where I am very confident the Flames complete the 3 game comeback.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 11:07 PM   #915
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckDemon View Post
Exactly. It was evened out in Game 2 already, so there's no reason to say a call in Game 5 would even out a call made in Game 2.

Why are you acting like your opinion isn't exactly the same as everyone else here? Absolutely no one thinks that officiating was the main reason for the series loss.

It's like if I was to say: "My boss is really annoying sometimes, but murdering him would go too far. We really shouldn't be killing anyone just because they're annoying. I'm not going to sit here and pretend that being annoying is enough reason to murder someone."
Go back and read the last page again. Hockey_Ninja made a perfectly reasonable post; it was replied to by browna who commented on the 2 Flames wrongfully disallowed goals, while leaving out the Oiler disallowed goal in game 2. The browna post (clearly hammering hard the importance of officiating in contributing to the series outcome) was thanked by a whole bunch of people, so I felt it worthwhile to mention the information that browna left out.

In reality, the disallowed goals in game 2 balanced out, only the disallowed goal in game 5 is worthy of mention from a screwed-the-Flames-over perspective. As I've always acknowledged, the Flames got robbed of the goahead goal with 6 minutes to go in the 3rd in game 5. At no point did I ever deny this.

Not sure what else you want me to say. Hopefully you can make your point next time without some bizarre "murder" analogy.

Quote:
Different then the Oilers goal called back completely.
No, not really.

Last edited by Mathgod; 05-30-2022 at 11:10 PM.
Mathgod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mathgod For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2022, 11:12 PM   #916
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
In reality, the disallowed goals in game 2 balanced out, only the disallowed goal in game 5 is worthy of mention from a screwed-the-Flames-over perspective.
Yeah, I wasn't as upset with the disallowed goal in game 2 as I would have been had the same thing not happened to the Oilers in the first. It was two horrible giveaways that led to breakaways that lost that game for the Flames.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 11:32 PM   #917
PuckDemon
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Go back and read the last page again. Hockey_Ninja made a perfectly reasonable post; it was replied to by browna who commented on the 2 Flames wrongfully disallowed goals, while leaving out the Oiler disallowed goal in game 2. The browna post (clearly hammering hard the importance of officiating in contributing to the series outcome) was thanked by a whole bunch of people, so I felt it worthwhile to mention the information that browna left out.

In reality, the disallowed goals in game 2 balanced out, only the disallowed goal in game 5 is worthy of mention from a screwed-the-Flames-over perspective. As I've always acknowledged, the Flames got robbed of the goahead goal with 6 minutes to go in the 3rd in game 5. At no point did I ever deny this.

Not sure what else you want me to say. Hopefully you can make your point next time without some bizarre "murder" analogy.
I re-read it and see what you mean now. Sorry.
PuckDemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e=ng , edmonton is no good