Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2023, 01:53 AM   #1181
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinL_NHL View Post
If you're firing Sutter, you're only firing him to hire a nicer guy behind the bench. You're sure as hell not replacing him with a better coach.

Umm… Seen the standings?
DeluxeMoustache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 01:54 AM   #1182
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
More "smoke" "it'll be a story to come out in the offseason" from Francis in the intermission all directly related to Kadri/Sutter.

I'm thinking Kadri is the one that was saying he's not coming back if Sutter stays. Let's see how this plays out.

It was Looch
DeluxeMoustache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 04:21 AM   #1183
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
Honestly. Whatever your opinion on Sutter is, the bigger problem and concern is Huberdeau.

No matter the system, he should not be this unproductive. That's on him, not Sutter. This is why he's not on the ice for key moments. He doesn't deserve it since he doesn't deliver.
I fully agree that a Hubie needs to take some responsibility for his play on the ice. However when you have a player and a system that doesn't match your style of play, it's not surprising to see a dramatic drop in Hubie's numbers this season.
Old 03-24-2023, 05:42 AM   #1184
wretched34
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post
This likely explains Sutter's use of the 4th line. Sutter is waiting for someone to step up and take that spot.
But Sutter isn't giving anyone the opportunity to take that spot playing the 4th line more frequently to punish who should be our best playmaker.
Huberdeau is having an abysmal season by his standards, but is still more productive than anyone playing on the 4th line, in fact he's individually produced 8 more points than last night's 4th line combined.
Add into it the 2 other top 9 forwards who have reduced ice time because Sutter is trying to punish Huberdeau, and it just adds to the poor line management and player usage that seems to be one of Sutters biggest issues this season.

If the top guys aren't clicking, more Lucic and Lewis is not the answer.
wretched34 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wretched34 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2023, 05:53 AM   #1185
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
I fully agree that a Hubie needs to take some responsibility for his play on the ice. However when you have a player and a system that doesn't match your style of play, it's not surprising to see a dramatic drop in Hubie's numbers this season.
It’s probably the first time in history, a star player lost 1/2 his production due to style.
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 07:40 AM   #1186
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames committed a lot of money to a bunch of unmovable contracts and Sutter.

If they are going to change seems like there is only one candidate.

Not including BT as he is out of contract and given the results, should not be back.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 07:48 AM   #1187
BurningSteel
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

But what about the unfinished business??
BurningSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 07:53 AM   #1188
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
Flames committed a lot of money to a bunch of unmovable contracts and Sutter.

If they are going to change seems like there is only one candidate.

Not including BT as he is out of contract and given the results, should not be back.
But this is what ownership wanted?

I hated this direction of the team, but if you're asking a team to be competitve after you've lost Gaudreau and after Tkachuk requests a trade, did ownership or fans really expect anything close to Huberdeau, Weegar, and Kadri?

Literally what else could Treliving have done after being given such a moronic, short-term mandate?

There are maybe a couple GMs in the league that could have come out better. If the Flames replace Treliving, I guarantee it will be for a worse candidate.

And if I'm Treliving, I don't even want to be back when the dinosaur owners prevent you from actually doing your job.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2023, 07:57 AM   #1189
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post
It’s probably the first time in history, a star player lost 1/2 his production due to style.

We don't realy have the ability to run and gun with teams who have elite players. In the playoffs there is going to be less time and space so if the Flames key players can't contribute that is something Huberdeau is going to ha e to figure out. That's why he gets paid the big bucks to be the leader and difference maker on the ice. Huberdeau's inability, to contribute reflects more on the player than the style of play.

The Flames got into trouble in the playoffs trying to be too creative and fancy. If they can play a team game and get contributions from key players that would be ideal; But to change the style of play for one player makes little sense. Johnny G could do it and he was a small player, why can't Huberdeau?
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 08:08 AM   #1190
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
More "smoke" "it'll be a story to come out in the offseason" from Francis in the intermission all directly related to Kadri/Sutter.

I'm thinking Kadri is the one that was saying he's not coming back if Sutter stays. Let's see how this plays out.
I bet in hindsight the Flames wouldn’t mind getting his $7 million back.

No goals in 15 games? Upset when your ice time is reduced?

Look in the mirror.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Goriders For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2023, 08:13 AM   #1191
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I usually defend Francis since I enjoy the different perspectives. Can always choose to ignore the takes that seem stupid.

And I didn’t see the intermission but if he is really running around saying he knows something and will report it later, that is bush league journalism. If you can’t report something, keep it to yourself until you can. That’s just being an adult really.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 08:13 AM   #1192
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Huberdeau gets plenty of ice time and chances, i would say more time than he deserves based on his play. Sutter is not a perfect coach but this team cant keep getting new coaches every couple years, this script is getting old.
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 08:19 AM   #1193
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I usually defend Francis since I enjoy the different perspectives. Can always choose to ignore the takes that seem stupid.

And I didn’t see the intermission but if he is really running around saying he knows something and will report it later, that is bush league journalism. If you can’t report something, keep it to yourself until you can. That’s just being an adult really.
I like the juicy stuff and I'm fine with waiting until the end of the season which is approaching quickly. He better deliver the goods though. I expect it's going to be regarding possibly the names of several players at odds with Darryl and his dysfunctional relationship with the GM as it's kind of what Francis has hinted. Somewhat similar to what happened with the Bruins last season when it was revealed that Pastrnak wouldn't re-sign with the Bruins if Cassidy was retained as well as other Bruins coming to the GM advocating for change.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 03-24-2023 at 08:22 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 08:24 AM   #1194
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

What a season ...

You have a crusty coach actively mocking someone (GM, fans, media), taken to a new level last night.

A star player that doesn't play like a star player because his confidence is shot (feeling hurt?)

Another star player that is supposed to be a warrior but spends more time taking bad penalties, going off side, or blowing the zone.

A star goaltender (was fine last night), that had a 20% reduction in ability from one season to the next.

A defenseman that just went missing and never came back.

Anyone trying to blame this entirely on one thing is missing the armageddon that's going on here.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 08:26 AM   #1195
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
What a season ...

You have a crusty coach actively mocking someone (GM, fans, media), taken to a new level last night.
I missed this and haven't caught up on the entire thread.
What's this about? What happened last night?
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 08:28 AM   #1196
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
What a season ...

A star player that doesn't play like a star player because his confidence is shot (feeling hurt?)

Another star player that is supposed to be a warrior but spends more time taking bad penalties, going off side, or blowing the zone.

A star goaltender (was fine last night), that had a 20% reduction in ability from one season to the next.

A defenseman that just went missing and never came back.

Anyone trying to blame this entirely on one thing is missing the armageddon that's going on here.
The "C" on the jersey may as well stood for Chernobyl this season.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 08:28 AM   #1197
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I missed this and haven't caught up on the entire thread.
What's this about? What happened last night?
4th line two key shifts in the last 5 minutes including with the goalie pulled.

Huberdeau on the bench.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2023, 08:29 AM   #1198
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
The "C" on the jersey may as well stood for Chernobyl this season.
And if you add in the Gaudreau last second head fake and Tkachuk trade request at the front of the timeline ...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2023, 08:30 AM   #1199
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

When Bingo is not seeing a bright side, you KNOW this team is in some deep trouble.

My kids team had a team wrap up at Launch Pad golf on the weekend and guess who is there working on his game? F'in Huberdeau.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 08:33 AM   #1200
SmoggyFlamesFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Everything you pointed out Bingo has been directly following the nightmare of the Edmonton series last year.

The curses against the stars worked to win us a series, but we played with dark forces beyond our control and are now realizing the cost. It is easily the darkest of timelines.
SmoggyFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote