Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2023, 12:04 AM   #201
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saqe View Post
Huby was their second worst player in the playoffs though, did nothing.
I just want to say that I was skeptical reading your posts about Huberdeau after the trade was made but you were completely right. Props to you.
Burning Beard is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Burning Beard For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2023, 12:11 AM   #202
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I really don't see why people are harping on Huberdeau tonight. Even if you weren't thrilled with him, he was far better than Lindholm, Mangiapane, and Toffoli. He got a big assist on a second effort and I thought made a few other good plays. Other guys did nothing at all.

The fourth line played well. Great shot by Looch and an excellent pass by Duehr... But you don't have that line out at the end because with the game on the line with the goalie pulled and the puck on Lewis's stick after some nice passes he double clutched and blew it. I don't blame him, not his role. Shouldn't have been in that spot.

Tough game... Had all the typical characteristics of this crap season... Goals called back, early deficit, lots of shots but outchanced, post at a critical moment, etc. Brutal year.

Team has no identity, no stars, no captain, and now no hope. I'm at a loss for what they can even do.

Rhett and Boomer were good tonight I thought (first time I've watched After Burner). Boomer had a good question... If Treliving is gone, what GM with any pedigree or resume is going to come here and have Darryl be their boss?
Savvy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 12:13 AM   #203
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Kadri was for sure. Huby was awesome last year on the Panthers.

Thing is they were awesome secondary/complementary players. In both cases, they were playing behind absolutely elite top lines.
Then maybe the GM should not have brought them in to be elite players.

I'm tired of the merry go ground blame game. Sutter is to blame oh wait no the players suck. But we won't blame Tre because reasons or something.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 12:14 AM   #204
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Beard View Post
Did you read my post? I said I'm all for it but don't expect to land a generational player as only one team every few years does and the Flames franchise doesn't get that kind of luck.

I honestly see people assuming that 5 years is all it takes and that would be lovely but it's not always the way it goes and I'm not sure that a lot of this fanbase (CP posters included who are pushing for it) are prepared for the fact it might drag on a lot longer or be u successful.

I watch the game against the Ducks last week and the Ducks were boring as hell. It's not fun to watch a bad team like that and I wonder if people will still go to games and support the team with how fickle and hostile this market has been this year with a team right in the mix receiving some very questionable goaltending.
Wasn’t directed at your post.
howard_the_duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 12:17 AM   #205
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have to try a coach with a philosophy that meshes with how Kadri and Huberdeau have been used in the past. Then we'll know for sure what kind of ceiling the group has.

Whatever that is, they weren't reaching it under this coaching staff (well not with Darryl at the head of it)

Yes, we shouldn't cater to players who need special treatment, but we've signed these guys forever so what else are you going to do.

I think we can all agree that this style of hockey is awful to watch anyways.

Any change is likely an improvement, as the players being less miserable alone should provide for a better output.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2023, 12:18 AM   #206
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
oh god, now you have gone too far

they won FOUR draft lotteries including the best player in years...they tried to win and ####ing fluked out

even then they are a 3 seed in a bad division despite McDavid's historic year. Success?

I bet the Kings beat them pretty easily in round one TBH
ahem. "success".

As in, more success than us.

They're doing better than us while being one of the worst run organizations in the league strictly because they have two elite talents that we don't.

The power of rebuilding through the top of the draft affords bad organizations the opportunity to be middling (the Oilers), and good organizations the opportunity to win everything (the Avalanche, Lightning).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Flames would totally end up with a Buffalo rebuild or worse
If you really believe that then you believe this organization isn't capable of winning anything, ever.

Buffalo was terribly managed. Edmonton was terribly managed. Buffalo is now well managed and turning a corner. Edmonton is finding middling "success" (and kicked our teeth in).

Tampa was well managed. Colorado was well managed.

I guess I'm the optimist in hoping that the Flames would fall into the "well managed" group, and not the "terribly managed" group.

Also, both of these terribly managed teams are better positioned than the Flames are...so, even if we ended up with the Buffalo or Edmonton rebuild - we'd still be better off.

Last edited by ComixZone; 03-24-2023 at 12:23 AM.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2023, 12:22 AM   #207
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I just want to say that I was skeptical reading your posts about Huberdeau after the trade was made but you were completely right. Props to you.

It's not that I hate the player, he has amazing hands, vision and IQ. But he shows up when he wants to and is a perimeter player. And what I truly loathe is his over passing. You can bet money on this guy passing the puck if there is anyone else in his vicinity. It drove me crazy for years with the Panthers.

And obviously he's going to be overpaid now, it's ridiculous that he gets paid more than Barkov who was always the main guy on their team. But good for Huby, I just hope he finds that feistiness that he had earlier on in his career when he seemed to care more.
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 12:45 AM   #208
FlatLandFlamesFan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

What a year it has been

Just about everything that could go wrong has .

FlatLandFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlatLandFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2023, 01:05 AM   #209
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

In the last 3 games the Flames go 1-2 when it mattered most.

Nice one game winning streak dudes.

What a sorry group. Just pathetic.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 01:06 AM   #210
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saqe View Post
It's not that I hate the player, he has amazing hands, vision and IQ. But he shows up when he wants to and is a perimeter player. And what I truly loathe is his over passing. You can bet money on this guy passing the puck if there is anyone else in his vicinity. It drove me crazy for years with the Panthers.

And obviously he's going to be overpaid now, it's ridiculous that he gets paid more than Barkov who was always the main guy on their team. But good for Huby, I just hope he finds that feistiness that he had earlier on in his career when he seemed to care more.
I hope he finds it somewhere else.

No respect for him at all.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2023, 04:11 AM   #211
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Well, I woke up Friday morning
With no way to hold my head that didn’t hurt
And the beer I had for breakfast wasn’t bad
So I'll have one more for dessert.

Then I fumbled through my closet for my clothes
And found my cleanest dirty shirt
And I washed my face and combed my hair
And stumbled down the stairs to meet the day.

Old 03-24-2023, 04:27 AM   #212
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not the result I wanted to see when I got up this morning. Ah, well
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 05:15 AM   #213
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Quote:
Do you think this franchise has the luck to land an elite franchise generational player in the draft? Honestly? We are all life long fans and know that luck and the Flames are not something that goes together. I'm all for a rebuild but I'm not expecting us to land a Bedard. We will end up with good players who demand trades or are made of glass.
The Flames did draft an elite franchise player high in the draft. He just sadly didn’t want to stay in Calgary (Tkachuk)
Old 03-24-2023, 05:43 AM   #214
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvy27 View Post
I really don't see why people are harping on Huberdeau tonight. Even if you weren't thrilled with him, he was far better than Lindholm, Mangiapane, and Toffoli. He got a big assist on a second effort and I thought made a few other good plays. Other guys did nothing at all.

The fourth line played well. Great shot by Looch and an excellent pass by Duehr... But you don't have that line out at the end because with the game on the line with the goalie pulled and the puck on Lewis's stick after some nice passes he double clutched and blew it. I don't blame him, not his role. Shouldn't have been in that spot.

Tough game... Had all the typical characteristics of this crap season... Goals called back, early deficit, lots of shots but outchanced, post at a critical moment, etc. Brutal year.

Team has no identity, no stars, no captain, and now no hope. I'm at a loss for what they can even do.

Rhett and Boomer were good tonight I thought (first time I've watched After Burner). Boomer had a good question... If Treliving is gone, what GM with any pedigree or resume is going to come here and have Darryl be their boss?
May have something to do with him being their highest paid player and about to get a franchise killing contract?
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 05:44 AM   #215
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey_Ninja View Post
The Flames did draft an elite franchise player high in the draft. He just sadly didn’t want to stay in Calgary (Tkachuk)
Two actually
Old 03-24-2023, 05:48 AM   #216
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Well, I woke up Friday morning
With no way to hold my head that didn’t hurt
And the beer I had for breakfast wasn’t bad
So I'll have one more for dessert.

Then I fumbled through my closet for my clothes
And found my cleanest dirty shirt
And I washed my face and combed my hair
And stumbled down the stairs to meet the day.

If you shower make sure to take 2 ice cold beers in there with you that's showing the day who's in charge!
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 05:48 AM   #217
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
ahem. "success".

As in, more success than us.

They're doing better than us while being one of the worst run organizations in the league strictly because they have two elite talents that we don't.

The power of rebuilding through the top of the draft affords bad organizations the opportunity to be middling (the Oilers), and good organizations the opportunity to win everything (the Avalanche, Lightning).

If you really believe that then you believe this organization isn't capable of winning anything, ever.

Buffalo was terribly managed. Edmonton was terribly managed. Buffalo is now well managed and turning a corner. Edmonton is finding middling "success" (and kicked our teeth in).

Tampa was well managed. Colorado was well managed.

I guess I'm the optimist in hoping that the Flames would fall into the "well managed" group, and not the "terribly managed" group.

Also, both of these terribly managed teams are better positioned than the Flames are...so, even if we ended up with the Buffalo or Edmonton rebuild - we'd still be better off.
The Flames is not a well managed team. Period.
Old 03-24-2023, 06:04 AM   #218
BigRed
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sch19lks View Post
Down by one with 2 and a half minutes left in a must win game and Darryl has the fourth line out there. What the hell?

This. This. All. Year.

L4 was out with the goalie pulled. WTAF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 06:05 AM   #219
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames drafted a potential franchise player, he just didn't want to stay in Calgary.

The thing is, they turned that bad situation into a worse one by trading him for an older player who isn't as good and then signed him to one of the worst deals ever in the NHL.

They could and should have went with a youth movement but gave us this.
Old 03-24-2023, 06:12 AM   #220
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Either way it’s almost over. One more loss should seal it.

I’ve tried resurrecting hope a couple of times over the last few weeks. There’s no point in hope anymore. This team is just not getting it done. Thet have proven that time and time again.

Start auditions and trying to figure out what to do for next season.

Really disappointing season. Extremely hard team to watch. Like banging your head against the wall.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote