Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-11-2022, 08:24 PM   #981
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

What are the chances of him looking at CN or CP yards for railway work. They’re always struggling to keep cars and engines going and have massive service backlogs. Odds are pretty good he could do Some on the job re training.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 08:19 AM   #982
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Ageism is very real at this point, I've counseled several companies against it, because its gotten pretty blatant by the hiring managers I've worked with.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 07:05 PM   #983
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Got an email today. Asking me to participate in a paid survey. Yet it somehow seems possibly maybe to be legit? thoughts? experience?

Ivy Exec Research Study with Professionals

I'm reaching out on behalf of Ivy Exec and our Expert Network Division.

Currently, in partnership with B2B International, we are conducting a study with Professionals in the Energy sector. The study is conducted in order to better understand the future shape of the Energy Sector in response to the increasing focus on sustainability and renewables and the drive towards Net Zero CO2.

This will be conducted via a 60-minute interview.For your time we will compensate you at least $300
If you are interested in participating please complete this 5-minute survey so that we can make sure you are a good fit for the research.
[removed hyperlink]
To protect your data, please do not share this link with anyone else. It is unique to you.
If you would like to share this survey with someone in your network, please use [removed]

Please be assured that no one is trying to sell you anything and that no one will contact you as a result of your participation in this study. We’re only interested in your opinions.

Thank you so much for your time thus far! We hope to continue giving professionals like you the opportunity to contribute and showcase your expertise.

If you wish to contact us, please do not reply to this message but instead reach us at [removed]
Old 02-12-2022, 08:10 PM   #984
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I have zero trust for unsolicited emails like that.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2022, 01:43 PM   #985
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I feel like I do very well in interviews, been offered every job I've interviewed for. Now I have some virtual interviews coming up, with which my confidence is much lower. I can't read the room, can pickup on body language etc. Wish me luck.

Also, I ####ed up on the pre-interview question with one...undercut my salary expectation by about 5% for the actual role. Rookie.
Old 03-18-2022, 10:05 AM   #986
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Had an interview this morning, thought it went well.

It’s good to have a job while looking for a job, and I’m ready for the next opportunity.
Old 03-18-2022, 03:17 PM   #987
skudr248
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone do follow up 'thank you' email's anymore for positions they really want? Is that still a thing?
skudr248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 03:29 PM   #988
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
Got an email today. Asking me to participate in a paid survey. Yet it somehow seems possibly maybe to be legit? thoughts? experience?

Ivy Exec Research Study with Professionals

I'm reaching out on behalf of Ivy Exec and our Expert Network Division.

Currently, in partnership with B2B International, we are conducting a study with Professionals in the Energy sector. The study is conducted in order to better understand the future shape of the Energy Sector in response to the increasing focus on sustainability and renewables and the drive towards Net Zero CO2.

This will be conducted via a 60-minute interview.For your time we will compensate you at least $300
If you are interested in participating please complete this 5-minute survey so that we can make sure you are a good fit for the research.
[removed hyperlink]
To protect your data, please do not share this link with anyone else. It is unique to you.
If you would like to share this survey with someone in your network, please use [removed]

Please be assured that no one is trying to sell you anything and that no one will contact you as a result of your participation in this study. We’re only interested in your opinions.

Thank you so much for your time thus far! We hope to continue giving professionals like you the opportunity to contribute and showcase your expertise.

If you wish to contact us, please do not reply to this message but instead reach us at [removed]
That's probably legit, if the domains match their actual website. They are a recruitment and expert network company. So they executive recruiting and also ask people questions about their industry for investors/competitor research.

Likely the goal is to add you to their database for future recruitment or expert interview purposes.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2022, 03:43 PM   #989
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skudr248 View Post
Anyone do follow up 'thank you' email's anymore for positions they really want? Is that still a thing?
I still do if it is a position that I am very interested in and if I thought the interview went well.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2022, 11:42 AM   #990
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
You should be doing a thank you regardless as they did give up their time for you, and you likely were selected for a good reason over others. So if nothing else to express gratitude for time and not burn any bridges. People remember manners and professionalism.
Old 03-19-2022, 12:10 PM   #991
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I hire people on a yearly basis. Those emails annoy me and seem pushy to me like people think it will help them get the job. It turns me off the candidate. However, I've been told I'm rude before, so I'm not sure this will help.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny199r For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2022, 01:20 PM   #992
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Its a differentiator to me when I hire, if two people are pretty equivalent through the process and one shows the interest in an email, they do get points.

Old 03-19-2022, 05:54 PM   #993
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Back in the day I used to hand deliver my thank you notes and make sure to politely charm the receptionist (without bugging them, creeping them out, etc...).

Years ago I had someone tell me that after they were hired they asked their boss what set them apart and paraphrased answer was that after shortlisting and interviewing they were all pretty equally awesome EXCEPT she had made the effort to send a polite Thank you letter that also clarified something. The follow-up gave them their job.
Old 03-22-2022, 04:30 PM   #994
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Had an interview this morning, thought it went well.

It’s good to have a job while looking for a job, and I’m ready for the next opportunity.
99% sure I’m getting an offer, but don’t have it yet.

So hard to be motivated at my current job.

Had another good interview at a different place this morning too.
Old 03-22-2022, 05:27 PM   #995
skudr248
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
99% sure I’m getting an offer, but don’t have it yet.

So hard to be motivated at my current job.

Had another good interview at a different place this morning too.
I am in the exact same situation as you, hopefully we're not hoping for the same job haha.

Goodluck to us both.
skudr248 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skudr248 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2022, 08:14 PM   #996
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
I feel like I do very well in interviews, been offered every job I've interviewed for. Now I have some virtual interviews coming up, with which my confidence is much lower. I can't read the room, can pickup on body language etc. Wish me luck.

Also, I ####ed up on the pre-interview question with one...undercut my salary expectation by about 5% for the actual role. Rookie.
I found virtual interviews great as I could have notes available. I used the built in MS postit app and had my opening, all my example stories, reminders for anything technical, how to answer the money question or similar, and a list of questions I have for them. This was just enough for me to cue from but not read word for word so it was obvious.

Quote:
You’ve got the answers already but I’d say it’s a differentiator. It also gives you a chance to drive home your strengths and why you are the right fit.

Last year when I was searching for my next gig I found this guy’s YouTube channel. I found many of his videos useful.

https://youtube.com/c/TheCompaniesExpert

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 04:44 PM   #997
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had my first in person interview in over two years. Every interview I've done during Covid has been virtual and I'm not sure why but I feel more comfortable with in person interviews.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 08:23 PM   #998
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I had my first in person interview in over two years. Every interview I've done during Covid has been virtual and I'm not sure why but I feel more comfortable with in person interviews.

In person lets you "feel the vibe" which comes from seeing the entire body language, better idea of intonation, perhaps direct interactions amoungst multiple people, maybe even in-office cues of things to talk/ask about. In person can also be harder because you can't have those post-its around the camera like so many of us did!!
Old 03-24-2022, 12:55 PM   #999
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
I am in the exact same situation as you, hopefully we're not hoping for the same job haha.

Goodluck to us both.
My offer is being written up right now - hopefully you get yours soon!

Anyone have advice on giving notice to current employer? I’ll probably be doing that tomorrow.
Old 03-24-2022, 02:04 PM   #1000
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My offer is being written up right now - hopefully you get yours soon!

Anyone have advice on giving notice to current employer? I’ll probably be doing that tomorrow.
Don’t give notice till you have a full unconditional offer signed sealed and delivered.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote