Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which goaltender do you hope will be starting for the Flames in the 2017–18 Season?
Jonathan Bernier (UFA) 11 1.76%
Mike Condon (UFA) 5 0.80%
Brian Elliott (UFA) 51 8.16%
Marc Andre-Fleury (Trade) 219 35.04%
Jon Gillies 33 5.28%
Philipp Grubauer (Trade) 73 11.68%
Jaroslav Halak (Trade) 10 1.60%
Chad Johnson (UFA) 3 0.48%
Joonis Korpisalo (Trade) 25 4.00%
Steve Mason (UFA) 14 2.24%
Ryan Miller (UFA) 22 3.52%
Peter Mrazek (Trade) 19 3.04%
Micheal Neuvirth (Trade) 0 0%
Calvin Pickard (Trade) 18 2.88%
Antti Raanta (Trade) 78 12.48%
David Rittich 4 0.64%
Mike Smith (Trade) 35 5.60%
Cam Ward (Trade) 5 0.80%
Voters: 625. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-26-2017, 10:08 PM   #581
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
You're misremembering. Hamilton wasn't pie in the sky, he was rumoured to be on the block for any number of reasons and then we jumped in and got him. That wasn't a cold call about a future star defenseman that magically turned into a trade.

Schneider I could see potential for, but your Rask suggestion is basically "Hey playoff team, we want your starter" "Okay, but then we'd be on the market for a starter". RoofDaddy was right, if you're just suggesting any teams starter with no rumours they're available than you might as well just make a list of al the goalies in the league that are really good and say "let's at least try to get them".
I explained my reason for going after Rask but not very well. I think if Boston does trade him it will be because they have a deal on the table for a guy like Mrazek.

This is the who do you want the starter to be thread, not the trade rumour thread. I didn't suggest any other team's starter because:
1: price would be too high (pun intended)
2:contract/age
3: these are the only two guys who I see being available, based on last seasons performances and team history. Who are legitimate stars.
I have a good feeling about Parsons. If we can't get a legit star then I like the idea of Halak the most as he's put teams on His back before. Cost should be cheap, and we should be able to dump a salary back. This would free up room to fill other holes in the lineup for this season. Even moving Bouma would help.

Regardless I'm just sharing my point of view. Realistically every proposal on this page is pie in the sky until it happens.

Once again...my list is based on projected fit on the flames. In terms of contract, ability, and cost To aquire (as I see it in my mind).

To go a bit deeper into why a legitimate star goalie is who I want: I think we have a small window opening to be a contender right now. Approximately 3 years, where guys like Giordano, Backlund and Frolik are still big time players. Afterwards I think we suffer some pain as Gio regresses and eventually retires, and Backlund and Frolik slow down or move on. These are our 3 best two way players. I would like to have a goalie that can steal us some wins in the playoffs and hopefully win a cup. Once this window closes I see the flames going back to being a bubble team for a couple years until Gio and perhaps Backlund come off the books and we can replenish depth. Of course alot can happen in this time, but I would like to make use of Giordano's best years.

Disclaimer: all this is purely my opinion and in no way reflects the view of the Calgary Flames ownership/management. Please don't reply just to call my ideas and fantasies stupid. Stay thirsty my friends.
Kipper_3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 11:52 PM   #582
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone else think Rinne could be available? The Predators are very shrewd and with their young goalies, they might sell high on Rinne after the playoffs he had.

His contract is expensive and he is getting older, but I would take him in a second. I wonder what it would take.
Old 05-27-2017, 12:42 AM   #583
iloveicedhockey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My personal, likely incorrect, take on Rinne is that I don't really want him. I know he's been lights out this playoffs and good this season but since he signed the big contract he's been inconsistent playing in front of a great defence all the time. 2015/16 up until around February people were discussing him being an anchor.

It would depend on acquisition cost. Clearly he can do a good job but I wouldn't want us paying amazing playoff performance premium.

Last edited by iloveicedhockey; 05-27-2017 at 05:19 PM.
iloveicedhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 07:59 AM   #584
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Does anyone else think Rinne could be available? The Predators are very shrewd and with their young goalies, they might sell high on Rinne after the playoffs he had.

His contract is expensive and he is getting older, but I would take him in a second. I wonder what it would take.
I would be fine with Rinne but it would depend on the cost. He's been good in the playoffs but there's something about him now as he seems to be either really good or pretty bad. I don't think he's at a stage in his career where you would break the bank to trade for him.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 08:59 AM   #585
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I 100% do not expect Nashville to get rid of the goalie that played a large part in getting them to the Stanley Cup Finals. That's a player that still has plenty of tread on the tires, and while there are some promising goalie prospects in the Preds system, they aren't exposed in the expansion draft, as well as being far from a sure bet as a starting goalie.

Rinne will likely retire as a Predator.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 01:16 PM   #586
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
I 100% do not expect Nashville to get rid of the goalie that played a large part in getting them to the Stanley Cup Finals. That's a player that still has plenty of tread on the tires, and while there are some promising goalie prospects in the Preds system, they aren't exposed in the expansion draft, as well as being far from a sure bet as a starting goalie.

Rinne will likely retire as a Predator.
Maybe, but they need to be careful not to let sentimentality affect asset management. They have 2 young goalies that look like potential starters and they may lose one for nothing.

Poile is a shrewd guy, and as big as Rinne has been in this playoffs, the Preds are the epitome of a team is more than the sum of its parts and they could probably trade him for something awesome and not even miss a beat next season. Rinne's value will never be higher after this playoffs (NMC noted though).

Detroit was in a very similar position back when they won the Cup with Vernon in 1997. He won the Conn Smythe in fact, but they traded him to San Jose because they had too many goalies that would have to pass through waivers the next season.

Tampa did the same thing with Khabibulin after they won the Cup in 2004. Edit, never mind. He was a free agent.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 05-27-2017 at 01:21 PM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlamesAddiction For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2017, 07:48 PM   #587
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Maybe, but they need to be careful not to let sentimentality affect asset management. They have 2 young goalies that look like potential starters and they may lose one for nothing.
Who? The only goalie they'll be exposing isn't a potential starter.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 09:03 PM   #588
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think if Nashville believes that Saros is ready to become the starter next year, they trade Rinne after the playoffs. They have to be really sure, however.

The thing with Nashville is that they are a budget team, and they can definitely use a chunk of Rinne's salary redistributed to go to their offence.

Will they do it? Again, they have to be very sure that Saros is their guy moving forward. They don't HAVE to make a move for a while, but it could be very smart asset management to do so.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 09:28 PM   #589
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
I think if Nashville believes that Saros is ready to become the starter next year, they trade Rinne after the playoffs. They have to be really sure, however.

The thing with Nashville is that they are a budget team, and they can definitely use a chunk of Rinne's salary redistributed to go to their offence.

Will they do it? Again, they have to be very sure that Saros is their guy moving forward. They don't HAVE to make a move for a while, but it could be very smart asset management to do so.
They've historically been a budget team but have also never tasted playoff revenue on this level. I believe even first and second round games are around $1mil a game, with third and fourth round games being almost double that, if not more.

By going to the finals (where the cheapest tickets were $650) I wouldn't be surprised if they just added $16-$20mil to their profit margins. Maybe the taste of that plus seeing a team that looks like it could contend for years if properly managed and paid for changes their historical tendencies.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2017, 09:15 AM   #590
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can also add a boost to their season ticket revenues to that.

They always had a loyal ST base, but a run to the cup final will definitely give it a boost.

More season tickets + ability to raise prices + playoff revenue = whole new outlook
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 07:35 AM   #591
gunnner
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

The fact that the preds might turn to Saros tells me they see what I see in Saros in the games Ive watched. I think they want him to be the guy next year. If Saros plays and helps the preds win the cup, I bet Rinne could be had for cheap in the summer in the saturated goalie mkt. Seems crazy with what Rinne has done in these playoffs but Fleury has played well also and he was unofficially traded to Vegas 2 months ago. NTC/NMC not withstanding/
gunnner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 07:50 AM   #592
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnner View Post
The fact that the preds might turn to Saros tells me they see what I see in Saros in the games Ive watched. I think they want him to be the guy next year. If Saros plays and helps the preds win the cup, I bet Rinne could be had for cheap in the summer in the saturated goalie mkt. Seems crazy with what Rinne has done in these playoffs but Fleury has played well also and he was unofficially traded to Vegas 2 months ago. NTC/NMC not withstanding/
Fleury has to be moved due to protection where the Preds can keep both goalies
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 08:27 AM   #593
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnner View Post
As has been said Poile is a shrewd GM. I don't think he's going to let go of Rinne for pennies on the dollar. The cost would likely be a high draft pick or top prospect. I'm not sure if it would be worth it for the Flames given they are missing their 2nd and 3rd round picks this draft already but if they want a player from Abbotsford not named Andersson and a later round draft pick from the 2018 draft then I got no problem with that.
Old 06-02-2017, 08:37 AM   #594
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
As has been said Poile is a shrewd GM. I don't think he's going to let go of Rinne for pennies on the dollar. The cost would likely be a high draft pick or top prospect. I'm not sure if it would be worth it for the Flames given they are missing their 2nd and 3rd round picks this draft already but if they want a player from Abbotsford not named Andersson and a later round draft pick from the 2018 draft then I got no problem with that.
He will be 35 at the start of next season with 2 years at a $7M cap. He had a mediocre regular season. I wouldn't want the Flames spending much on him as he would truly be a 2 year stop gap. I wouldn't move Jankowski, Gillies, Kylington, Mangipane for him (in addition to Andersen who you mention)
Old 06-02-2017, 09:33 AM   #595
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
He will be 35 at the start of next season with 2 years at a $7M cap. He had a mediocre regular season. I wouldn't want the Flames spending much on him as he would truly be a 2 year stop gap. I wouldn't move Jankowski, Gillies, Kylington, Mangipane for him (in addition to Andersen who you mention)
If you go back up to post 584 I was lukewarm on him before he melted down in the finals because of consistency issues but I don't feel Kylington or Mangipane are good enough prospects that would prohibit me from bringing in a goaltender like Rinne. After all you still have to give up something to get something and Lance Bouma or Matt Stajan isn't going to get the job done.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 06-02-2017 at 09:37 AM.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:05 PM   #596
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Glancing at the rumor board on HF it appears the Sabres may move on from Lehner. He had a .924 and a .920 in his 2 seasons in Buffalo and is just turning 26. He and Johnson were a tandem 2 seasons ago. Could be a good option?
Old 06-05-2017, 08:22 PM   #597
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not interested in Lehner.

His overall high save % is propped up by an abnormally large % of low danger shots. His medium and high danger save percentages are really low compared to his peers.

If you subscribe to advanced goaltending stats, there are red flags with Lehner.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2017, 09:03 PM   #598
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

The more I think about it, the more I think I want Mason
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 09:13 PM   #599
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
The more I think about it, the more I think I want Mason
Yeah, I'm headed that way as well.

No acquisition cost, and other than an off season last year he's been pretty solid since going to Philly and he's been pretty healthy too.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 09:15 PM   #600
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mike Smith is old, average, overpaid, and apparently expensive to acquire.
At this point, I hope it's anyone but Smith.
I just don't think the gap between him and Elliott is large enough to justify the acquisition cost, age, and cap hit.

Mason makes more sense. Him, Elliott and Raanta seem like the most reasonable options at this point.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote