Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2017, 12:01 PM   #181
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
He's overrated anyways.
ok
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 12:06 PM   #182
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Agreed. If the Flames sign Stone in the offseason, chances are Hickey will not be a Flame next summer. Here's the minimum depth chart Hickey has to compare to when choosing other paths:

Giodano - Hamilton
Brodie - Stone
Kylington - Andersson
Fox

And chances are the Flames will congested the line-up with Bartowski, Engelland or whomever else.

So if Hickey only has to wait a few months to earn himself an NHL spot or top AHL minutes, I can't see him passing up on that
Why do you have 19-year-old Adam Fox who has just completed his rookie NCAA season ahead of Brendan Hickey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 12:07 PM   #183
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
I'd be less worried if the Flames weren't awful at giving young defencemen a legit shot at the NHL. Why would he sign with a team that will probably keep him in the AHL until he's waiver eligible and then trade him for future considerations?
Which Flames defensemen have not received a "legit shot"?

Quote:
Old 04-15-2017, 12:11 PM   #184
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Why do you have 19-year-old Adam Fox who has just completed his rookie NCAA season ahead of Brendan Hickey?
It's​ competition for ice time. I wouldn't have Fox ahead of him necessarily, but if the Flames sign Fox next year, Hickey would need to consider all the guys who could steal opportunity from him.
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 12:12 PM   #185
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If you look around the league plenty of teams are leaving their 6th and/or 7th spots open for rookie defensemen. Flames don't do that. They always have veteran players penciled in for those spots and a rookie has to be not as good but better in training camp or he's not getting a chance. It was a convenient excuse for Erixon but the team really hasn't changed the way it's operated this way since then. It's just an organizational belief that experience is more important than anything else on the blue line.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2017, 12:13 PM   #186
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

No team has more open spots on the back end next year than the Flames. I don't watch college hockey - maybe he's not close to ready?

As for Flames not developing defencemen - Fact is, they signed an AHLer to a contract near end of season, and he has been a fixture in the lineup since. And that's after making an acquisition of a dman during the year.

You can blame drafting, development or decisions made at the draft. Whatever makes you feel better but I'm relatively confident in saying that unless a team can churn out NHL defencemen with some degree of regularity it's going to be hard to be a consistent contender.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 12:14 PM   #187
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The easier question would be, other than Brodie, who has been given a real chance? The answer is nobody in the last five years or so. But at least Bartkowski/Diaz/Butler/Wideman/O'Brien/whatever other waiver/PTO garbage got their ice time!
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2017, 12:15 PM   #188
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
ok
I wasn't impressed with him at the World Juniors. He looked pretty average even compared to Wotherspoon at his World Juniors.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 12:15 PM   #189
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
No team has more open spots on the back end next year than the Flames. I don't watch college hockey - maybe he's not close to ready?

As for Flames not developing defencemen - Fact is, they signed an AHLer to a contract near end of season, and he has been a fixture in the lineup since. And that's after making an acquisition of a dman during the year.

You can blame drafting, development or decisions made at the draft. Whatever makes you feel better but I'm relatively confident in saying that unless a team can churn out NHL defencemen with some degree of regularity it's going to be hard to be a consistent contender.
Really even if the Flames drafted defensemen as well as the Ducks many of those young players wouldn't get the same opportunity in Calgary they get in Anaheim.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 12:16 PM   #190
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Andersson?

The Flames went into the year scratching Kulak for many games for Jokipakka, and then scratched Andersson for many games
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkGio For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2017, 12:19 PM   #191
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
If you look around the league plenty of teams are leaving their 6th and/or 7th spots open for rookie defensemen. Flames don't do that. They always have veteran players penciled in for those spots and a rookie has to be not as good but better in training camp or he's not getting a chance. It was a convenient excuse for Erixon but the team really hasn't changed the way it's operated this way since then. It's just an organizational belief that experience is more important than anything else on the blue line.
Well, I am far from convinced that this is an "organisational belief," and think it is much more readily attributed to the fact that the Flames have not drafted a lot of defensemen in the top-forty for quite a while. You can't argue that the lack of drafted defensemen in the bottom six has cost the team anything. The day a Flames drafted defenseman is lost by the organisation and finds success with another team is the day that I would agree with you, but that hasn't happened.

Quote:
Old 04-15-2017, 12:21 PM   #192
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Andersson?

The Flames went into the year scratching Kulak for many games for Jokipakka, and then scratched Andersson for many games
No. He is still with the organisation and the team seems to be pretty high on him. TJ Brodie had played all of three NHL games at the same age as Andersson who has played in one.

Quote:

Last edited by Textcritic; 04-15-2017 at 12:26 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2017, 12:24 PM   #193
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
The easier question would be, other than Brodie, who has been given a real chance? The answer is nobody in the last five years or so. But at least Bartkowski/Diaz/Butler/Wideman/O'Brien/whatever other waiver/PTO garbage got their ice time!
Show me a defenseman who was drafted by the Flames and is now finding success with another team after having been passed over and lost by this organisation. Again, one of the reasons for the low number of defensemen to have made an impact from their draft pool has a lot to do with where they are picking them at the draft.

Quote:
Old 04-15-2017, 12:27 PM   #194
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
No. He is still with the organisation and the team seems to be pretty high on him. TJ Brodie had played all of 3 NHL games at the same age as Andersson.
Not as high on him as Bartowski, otherwise Andersson would've played some more games
Old 04-15-2017, 12:30 PM   #195
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Not really. It's not uncommon that when a player takes Hickey's route he signs with a different team than the one that drafted him. We will have to see what the Flames depth on defense looks in a year but you can't fault him for looking for the best opportunity to play in the NHL and don't kid yourself that agents have a lot to say about where they sign as well. If the agent thinks there are teams that will give him a better shot he will be in the player's ear.
Actually, it is uncommon, so you're wrong.

The vast majority of players drafted out of US colleges play for the team that drafted them.

There are exceptions, but they are uncommon.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2017, 12:31 PM   #196
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Not as high on him as Bartowski, otherwise Andersson would've played some more games
This is ludicrous. Bartkowski is a bona fide NHL defenseman with over 200 NHL games played that the Flames acquired for depth in the thick of a playoff run. If you honestly believe that he is in the long term plans of the team ahead of 20-year-old Rasmus Andersson then I don't know what to tell you.

Quote:
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2017, 12:33 PM   #197
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

MarkGio using suspect logic again.

Leopold stayed all 4 years and we still signed him. But chicken littles gonna run around about the sky falling
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2017, 12:33 PM   #198
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Actually, it is uncommon, so you're wrong.

The vast majority of players drafted out of US colleges play for the team that drafted them.

There are exceptions, but they are uncommon.
I am not necessarily disagreeing with you, but I would be interested in seeing the differences in numbers between players signed by the team who drafted them after four years of college as opposed to those who made it to UFA.

Quote:
Old 04-15-2017, 12:37 PM   #199
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Show me a defenseman who was drafted by the Flames and is now finding success with another team after having been passed over and lost by this organisation. Again, one of the reasons for the low number of defensemen to have made an impact from their draft pool has a lot to do with where they are picking them at the draft.
That's a bad measurement. To measure a teams ability to draft and develop NHL defenseman should look at percentage of successes per draft or per periods of time (ie 5 years). By the time the Flames already failed at both drafting and development, a different team would have to be bloody exceptional in those areas to fix a reclamation project.

You're trying to compare repairing old products to manufacturing new ones.
Old 04-15-2017, 12:40 PM   #200
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Can someone let me know if I should panic? I feel like now would be a good time to start. I'm already nervous about the Flames game. May as well double down on the panic levels.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote