Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 06-05-2017, 06:30 PM   #421
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Pedro View Post
Does Vegas have an AHL affiliate next year or are they splitting a team with another NHL club?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
They bought the Chicago Wolves. I think sureloss made a thread about that in the AHL forum.
The Wolves will be Vegas's farm team, but for this coming season, St. Louis will still be sending some players there. The Golden Knights won't have an AHL team entirely to themselves until 2018-19.
Old 06-05-2017, 06:50 PM   #422
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

With teams that stand to lose one of 2-3 good players exposed, do we really expect them to be active in trades? Trading away one of those players ensures they'll lose two of them (one to trade, one to expansion) so it seems like if they are active, it'll have to be value coming back and value that they're actually able to protect.

Anaheim example: I've been thinking about it and I don't know why they would make a trade. It makes more sense to just lose whoever they lose.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2017, 07:19 PM   #423
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
With teams that stand to lose one of 2-3 good players exposed, do we really expect them to be active in trades? Trading away one of those players ensures they'll lose two of them (one to trade, one to expansion) so it seems like if they are active, it'll have to be value coming back and value that they're actually able to protect.

Anaheim example: I've been thinking about it and I don't know why they would make a trade. It makes more sense to just lose whoever they lose.
The Anaheim example is a bad one for your premise. Of course the key is Bieksa though, because if he is willing to waive his NMC they only stand to lose Vatanen.

In that case they might as well trade him for a return as opposed to lose him for nothing.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 07:17 AM   #424
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
Would be really funny if LV took 4 or 5 goalies as some ppl have speculated and the rest of the gm's collectivly refuse to trade for them.
No way they do something like that without prior to the draft having deals in place to trade two of them after. Even at that are the returns for these backup goaltenders going to be any better than players they could just pick off team's rosters in the draft?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 07:30 AM   #425
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agreed, considering goalies are generally not worth much in a trade, I don't see the point in taking any extra goalies unless you already have a deal in place for them.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 04:37 PM   #426
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm a little confused about pending unprotected RFAs. I know that, like pending UFAs, Vegas has an exclusive window to talk to them. But is there a matching ability from the home club - like an offer sheet in other words? LeBrun says no (and no compensation).
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 04:41 PM   #427
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
Agreed, considering goalies are generally not worth much in a trade, I don't see the point in taking any extra goalies unless you already have a deal in place for them.
They do have to stock the farm as well. I guess they could store a couple there and trade them later.

ETA: subject to waiver eligibility I guess.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 04:43 PM   #428
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I'm a little confused about pending unprotected RFAs. I know that, like pending UFAs, Vegas has an exclusive window to talk to them. But is there a matching ability from the home club - like an offer sheet in other words? LeBrun says no (and no compensation).
Yes they can sign RFAs with no chance to match and no compensation. they can be protected though.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 04:46 PM   #429
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
There is no option to match or receive compensation for the team if Vegas signs an RFA during the window. All that happens is that if Vegas signs an unprotected RFA during the window, it will count as their pick from that team for the expansion draft and they won't be able to select another player.

If it wasn't the case it would give the other teams an advantage over Vegas with unprotected RFAs. If they don't want to risk losing an unsigned RFA for nothing they have to use a slot on their protection list for the expansion draft.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2017, 05:14 PM   #430
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

There should be no worries for Calgary. On the big team we have 4 RFAs, Chaisson, Lazar, Bennett, and Ferland and only Chaisson probably won't be protected.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 06:36 PM   #431
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

If a pending RFA is unprotected, Vegas signing them is their pick from that team.

If a pending RFA is protected, Vegas can't talk to them early, because the teams don't have to have given them their qualifying offer yet.
Old 06-10-2017, 12:58 PM   #432
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Just a reminder that Monday June 12 5pm ET is the deadline for players to waive NMC for the expansion draft.

If they don't sign off before then, teams will be forced to use a protection slot on them.
Old 06-10-2017, 02:19 PM   #433
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Just a reminder that Monday June 12 5pm ET is the deadline for players to waive NMC for the expansion draft.

If they don't sign off before then, teams will be forced to use a protection slot on them.
Is there a buyout window after that deadline for desperate teams?
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 02:24 PM   #434
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Yeap

Quote:
The NHL buyout period will open on the latter of June 15 or 48 hours after the Stanley Cup Final. Those bought out will become unrestricted free agents and will not be able to sign with the team that paid them to go away.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 02:25 PM   #435
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Yes the buyout window still exists. Starts on June 15th or 48 hours after the cup is awarded, whichever is later.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:27 AM   #436
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

CapFriendly @CapFriendly
Note on Expansion Draft: Players official positions in regards expansion, are designated according to the leagues official Reserve lists.

CapFriendly @CapFriendly
Meaning a team like #NHLJets, who have Dustin Byfuglien officially listed as a D-man, cannot submit a list with him as a protected Forward.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:32 AM   #437
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Friedman noted that Today is the deadline for teams to ask players to waive their NMC, they have till Sunday June 18 to decide.

Can someone else confirm this?
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 11:34 AM   #438
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
Friedman noted that Today is the deadline for teams to ask players to waive their NMC, they have till Sunday June 18 to decide.

Can someone else confirm this?
Yes today is the deadline to ask. Players have until Friday June 16 to decide. They can't decide on June 18, as the protected lists must be submitted on 5pm June 17.
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2017, 12:31 PM   #439
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes today is the deadline to ask. Players have until Friday June 16 to decide. They can't decide on June 18, as the protected lists must be submitted on 5pm June 17.
Hope this list leaks today beyond just the obvious Phaneuf, Bieksa, Fleury
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 05:59 PM   #440
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

oh man... could you imagine a D pairing of Phanuef/Bieksa.... Poor Fleury
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote