Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 06-19-2017, 08:42 AM   #21
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Listening to Johnson on 960 this morning, I think it's unlikely he signs with the Flames. It sounds like he wants to be at least a 1B. He thinks he was last season and IMO he really wasn't. He played a tad more than a backup usually does but not by a long ways, and that was mainly because of Elliott's poor play off the hop and because he got on such a roll. Otherwise, it was clear he was a backup in the eyes of management and coaching.

This year, it's clear Smith is brought in because Treliving thinks there needs to be an established starting goalie - he wasn't interested messing with former backups or 1Bs that want more work. So that doesn't really fit with what Johnson says he wants.

Smith has only played more than 65 games once in his career and that was over 6 years ago now. With his age and current trajectory of playing 55-60 games, I would image the Flames now need to ensure they a backup in place that can play 25 -30 games. We haven't exactly just landed a workhorse number one here people. The situation isn't much different than last year with Elliot.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:45 AM   #22
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
Smith has only played more than 65 games once in his career and that was over 6 years ago now. With his age and current trajectory of playing 55-60 games, I would image the Flames now need to ensure they a backup in place that can play 25 -30 games. We haven't exactly just landed a workhorse number one here people. The situation isn't much different than last year with Elliot.
I don't disagree, but I suspect Treliving does. And maybe so might Johnson. Anyway, I think Johnson is looking at playing 30-40 games, not 25-30. If nothing changes in Phoenix, that's what he would be looking at. Plus, there's the money aspect.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:52 AM   #23
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I don't disagree, but I suspect Treliving does. And maybe so might Johnson. Anyway, I think Johnson is looking at playing 30-40 games, not 25-30. If nothing changes in Phoenix, that's what he would be looking at. Plus, there's the money aspect.

Without having heard him (and based on your report) I think you are misinterpreting what Johnson wants from what he said. He will be very hard pressed to find a situation next year in which he will get +30 starts. As for Smith, I think ideally a team does not want their goalie playing more than 60-65 games in the regular season. Goalies who play heavy workloads have a tendency to wear down in later playoff rounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:25 PM   #24
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Without having heard him (and based on your report) I think you are misinterpreting what Johnson wants from what he said. He will be very hard pressed to find a situation next year in which he will get +30 starts. As for Smith, I think ideally a team does not want their goalie playing more than 60-65 games in the regular season. Goalies who play heavy workloads have a tendency to wear down in later playoff rounds.
He specifically said he wants to be a 1b at least (which he figured he was last season). However you define it, I kinda doubt that would describe what the Flames expect the goalie other than Smith to be.

It's not so much that Johnson wouldn't get enough games (though he also said more of less that he needs several games in a row to feel good) but rather what a team trying to sign him will be able to tell him about his role. For example, the Yotes right now have him and Domingue (who is exposed). They may well go and get a goalie but if not, he is going to play a lot.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:36 PM   #25
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The only person that thinks Johnson is a starting goaltender is Chad Johnson. He will accept a backup role or be playing in Europe or the KHL. I don't really want him back anyways. He had a great stretch and helped save our season, but as soon as teams figured him out, he was done like dinner.

Last edited by TheAlpineOracle; 06-19-2017 at 03:19 PM.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 01:20 PM   #26
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Would love Johnson back at reasonable dollars he is a great backup
Yes and no. I wont argue that hes a great backup, he saved our season last year, without Chad there was no playoffs while Elliott off off rediscovering his 'Zen' or whatever the hell ever.

But again, at the moment this organization has 3 goalies that we have to do something with.

I like him and wish him the best, and I would not at all be averse to having him back, but bringing him back kind of indicates an organizational problem in not having someone ready right now to cover 20 or so games for Smith.

I'd like to think that management feels that one of our 3 guys is ready to play those games.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 02:58 PM   #27
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you're looking to define "backup money", Petr Budaj just re-signed in Tampa for two years, $1.025M AAV.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 03:01 PM   #28
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I kind of hope they grab Anders Nilsson for the back up.

The guy is huge and athletic, and seems to be gradually improving. He's only 27 and played 70+ AHL games, and 70+ NHL games now, kind of right at the point where a lot of good European goalies start to take off.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 03:05 PM   #29
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Gillies (or Rittich) have to play in the NHL at some point and starting behind an established starter, meaning they get maybe 18 games, is probably the best circumstance. Otherwise, when do you get them in there? How do you know if they can play at this level?
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 03:28 PM   #30
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Gillies (or Rittich) have to play in the NHL at some point and starting behind an established starter, meaning they get maybe 18 games, is probably the best circumstance. Otherwise, when do you get them in there? How do you know if they can play at this level?
Rittich is probably ready for a long look. Gillies has only played 40-something games in the AHL. Goalies coming from college usually play closer to 100 in the AHL before they get a look in the NHL. At this stage in his career, Gillies needs to be playing, not sitting on the bench.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 03:32 PM   #31
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
How do you know? You watch them, scout them at the minor league level. It'll be obvious when they're ready, they'll be consistently dominating. I think it's probably premature to promote either of them. Being one Smith injury away from two rookie goalies would be a complete disaster. Treliving is more prepared than that, he knows the value of depth. Expect us to acquire an experienced NHL backup

Last edited by Flames Draft Watcher; 06-19-2017 at 03:36 PM.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 03:49 PM   #32
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Francis on 960 now saying that he doesn't think Johnson will come back. Citing people close to Johnson, he says Johnson feels like he deserved more leeway with the organization after his play early in the season.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2017, 03:51 PM   #33
Racki
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think that Johnson sees himself as a starter that just hasn't been given the chance. I can't say I agree.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:52 PM   #34
TurdFerguson
Franchise Player

Exp:

probably not ideal timing to be looking for more net time around the league. No shortage of options for teams
Old 06-23-2017, 03:52 PM   #35
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

He'd be better off elsewhere anyway. Much like Elliott. He had his huge ups. His downs weren't as drastic as Elliott's but he certainly didn't earn any leeway imo.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 03:53 PM   #36
sempuki
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Francis on 960 now saying that he doesn't think Johnson will come back. Citing people close to Johnson, he says Johnson feels like he deserved more leeway with the organization after his play early in the season.
Johnson *should* have faith in himself. I hope it works out for him. He had lots of chances to steal that job.
sempuki is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sempuki For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2017, 03:55 PM   #37
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

If I made close to $2 million for a backup job . . . something something stones in glass houses.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 03:57 PM   #38
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Frankly he did deserve more leeway. He saves our season and then it seemed like he had 1 bad game and then they turned to Elliott and never turned back. I understand why GG did it but it struck me as unfair to him at the time. Guess we'll see if he's still bitter about it come July 1st
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2017, 04:02 PM   #39
ignite09
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

That's alright. I think Rittich is ready for a backup position anyways.
ignite09 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ignite09 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2017, 04:05 PM   #40
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Rittich is ready
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to savardandjokinen For This Useful Post: