Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2010, 03:49 PM   #21
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
After reading some things about getting to retentions (customer relations at Rogers) I decided to give it a try for my i4 upgrade. I was being offered the 399 price for a 16g phone (bought a 3g just before the 3gs came out...doh). Still have almost 2 years left in my plan, and don't spend a lot. Decided to give it a try, figured I had nothing to lose, but wanted the $159 HUP price.

Call up, explain my situation a bit with the regular guy, and of course there is nothing he can do. Then (very nicely) asked what my contract buy out would be as I am thinking about moving to Bell. He tells me ($500, the max) and kind of dismisses the fact that it I would want to go that route. So then I just said that it is what I expected, and how do I go about doing that. That was the key I think, since now he had to move it to retentions.

Retentions guy was good, just explained my plight and said I am thinking about buying out my contract, and I was wondering if he had any flexibility on the price for the upgrade. After a few minutes of typing, he tells me he can offer me the 159 price.

Figured if they said they could do nothing for me, and that I was stuck with the $399 price, then I could've just said that I wanted to think a bit more about whether I wanted to do the buy out and gotten off the phone.

I'll definitely try to use this again in a year or so and see if I can work my plan a little more, but for now I am happy having saved $240 on the phone upgrade.

Edit---good info there silentsim, I'll have to remember that one.
Did he order it over the phone for you or just apply a pending credit for your next invoice?
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:29 PM   #22
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

So Telus did decide to do something for me:

13 months left in my contract. They are giving me an early renewal and a switch to their new HSPA system.

The plan:
150 minutes + free calling from anywhere in Canada to my 5 favorite numbers
Free after 6 PM and on weekends
500 mb data
Caller ID
$50 plus taxes

Seems reasonable.

They want to charge me 130 for upgrading my phone early though...not so sure about that.

Edit: Also getting voicemail.

Last edited by blankall; 08-06-2010 at 09:52 PM.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:16 PM   #23
Yellefan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I've got 2 years left on my contract with fido but thought I'd try retentions the other day anyways. Here's what I managed to get

$17.50 - 200 Minutes, Unlimited Evenings and Weekends @ 5
$10 - iPhone Value Pack (CID, VVM)
$5 - 2500 Texts
-$5 - Credit for 2500 texts
$10 - Flex data plan
$10 if I use less than 100 megs,
$15 for 100 to 150 megs
$20 for 150 to 500 megs
$25 for 500 to 1GB
$37.50 total before tax.

Last edited by Yellefan; 08-07-2010 at 12:41 AM.
Yellefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:25 PM   #24
angelus360
Lifetime Suspension

So I called and did 2 retention plans, 1 for myself on Fido and for a friend on Rogers, here is what i got:

Fido:

$17.50 - 200 Minutes, Unlimited Evenings and Weekends @ 5
$30 - iPhone Value Pack (CID, VVM, 2500 mms, 500mb data)
-$10 credit
Total: $37.50

I am extremely happy with it

For Rogers I got him:

300 Minutes, Unlimited Evenings and Weekends @ 6
iPhone Value pack (CID, VVM, 2500 mms, 500mb data)
Unlimited Incoming
My5
Total: $45

My friend is extremely happy with it as well.
angelus360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:39 PM   #25
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Hmmm.

350 Minutes
Unlimited Incoming Calls
6PM Evenings and Weekends
Unlimited text
Call/Name Display, etc etc
Visual Voicemail
6GB Data
iPad Sharing

$80 including taxes (no SAF)

I thought this was really good, but I'm starting to wonder if I could get better. Some of the plans you guys are posting are crazy. Is mine really as good as I think it is? Would I just look greedy trying to call back and ask for more?
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:04 PM   #26
angelus360
Lifetime Suspension

FanIn80, I would definitely call in and see if you can additional reductions, like maybe $5-10.

But, I guess it is the iPad sharing that makes it $80, as other than that, it is pretty good. It really just depends on who you get and the approach you take with the employee.
angelus360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:13 PM   #27
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^

ipad sharing, 6gb a month with 350 minutes isnt bad for 80 bucks.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:19 PM   #28
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Hmmm.

350 Minutes
Unlimited Incoming Calls
Unlimited text
Visual Voicemail
6GB Data
iPad Sharing

I thought this was really good, but I'm starting to wonder if I could get better. Some of the plans you guys are posting are crazy. Is mine really as good as I think it is? Would I just look greedy trying to call back and ask for more?
That's a fairly good plan, but you can prolly swing 10-15 off on a data discount. (or do you already have a data discount?, dunno how they've structured your discounts).
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:20 PM   #29
puckluck
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Reading this thread makes me feel like I've been ripped off my whole life.
puckluck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to puckluck For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2010, 01:26 AM   #30
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentsim View Post
Did he order it over the phone for you or just apply a pending credit for your next invoice?
He ordered it for me over the phone--why do you ask? He said I'd have it in 3-5 business days (this was on the 30th). Of course no sign of it and I've been in touch a few times this week. I was wondering if it was a supply issue, but kept getting told no. Then today buddy says it hasn't shipped because it is back ordered.

Who knows what the truth is, I might call someone else tomorrow and see what their answer is.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 07:53 AM   #31
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Key in all this is be prepared with what you need first, then want, then settle for, and know how much you want to spend (within reason). That way, you'll not get wowed by something you don't need (like LD minutes if you never use them) and not have to make multiple calls (each call you make lessens your chance of getting a good deal).

Then, call retentions directly.

As important as anything, don't be a dick on the phone or condescending. I started a call inquiring about updating the wife to an Iphone when they came out last year, with "I dont want to waste your time, but..." and the guy gave me $150 off on a phone (rare, as it was a non contract signing price) directly, saying that it was nice to hear that, because they do have so many guys trying to do whatever they can and call in 5 times a week looking for a deal.

Act nicely, state your case, and if they turn you down on one or all fronts, politely ask about porting numbers and maybe you'll get upgraded. Or, if not that serious, abandon ship, tell them you're just inquiring at the time anyway and may call back later when you're more serious and thank them for their time and hang up. Whatever you do, act rational, polite, and although you can be firm, don't be too threatening or bring up the "I've been a client for x number of years and I deserve a better deal" and go down that path (which ends up going nowhere except bad). They know how long you've been a client and know how much you spend a month and that's already factored into their decision.

They do make notes online...you call in and act like a jerk, the next CSR knows that...or if you play CSR roulette regularly, looking for one that gets you the best deal, they'll know that call history too and not bother with trying to help you out as the calls pile up.

Of course it helps in dealing your length of tenure, multiple lines, and how much you spend as well..but again, retentions are the best bet to talk to because they have more pull to make things happen.

Last edited by browna; 08-07-2010 at 07:55 AM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 08:12 AM   #32
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckluck View Post
Reading this thread makes me feel like I've been ripped off my whole life.
Exactly.

If you are taking what they give you and signing contracts you will always get screwed.

I firmly believe that if you spend up to $400 on an unlocked phone to buy it outright you easily will save enough money over a 3 year contract to more than cover that cost, simply with the ability to switch carriers at a whim and the bargaining power it gives you. That amount easily goes up as your plan size increases, ie easier to save 15 bucks a month off a $100/mo bill than a $50/mo bill.

Take into account that with a contract you can often upgrade after only 2 years, you need to save only $16 a month to cover that $400 and really it is a financial no brainer if you can swing the cost of the phone. Often this means not having the 'top of the line phone' (ie a iphone 3gs/ bold 9700 right now) as you start the process, but after a couple years the top of the line phones almost pay for themselves.

Last edited by Rathji; 08-07-2010 at 08:24 AM.
Rathji is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rathji For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2010, 10:18 AM   #33
kyuusei
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Last weekend I was having a hard time getting a straight answer on what my upgrade price would be for the 32GB iPhone 4. Rogers' website said $749, when I called Friday morning they said $500. A Rogers store Saturday said I couldn't at all.. so I called Rogers back on Monday and explained all the different answers. The girl looked up my info (I'm technically not allowed a smartphone upgrade yet, but after reading Rogers' site it sounded like the rules would be different if you last upgraded before June 7th *and* wanted the iPhone 4...) and said I wasn't eligible '...we lied... sorry ' She did sound like she felt bad, and was going to offer me one of the 16 or 32GB 3GSes but they're of course discontinued and didn't have any (I guess they still had some til recently). She offered me the 8gig 3GS though which, if you've seen my Samsung E316, is still a huge improvement..so I took it =P And it'll probably make things easier when it comes to upgrading to Apple's NEXT new iPhone...
kyuusei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:33 AM   #34
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelus360 View Post
FanIn80, I would definitely call in and see if you can additional reductions, like maybe $5-10.

But, I guess it is the iPad sharing that makes it $80, as other than that, it is pretty good. It really just depends on who you get and the approach you take with the employee.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
^^

ipad sharing, 6gb a month with 350 minutes isnt bad for 80 bucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentsim View Post
That's a fairly good plan, but you can prolly swing 10-15 off on a data discount. (or do you already have a data discount?, dunno how they've structured your discounts).
I'm due to call them back on the 15th to get the 100mins added on, so I'll talk to them about it then. I agree that it is a pretty good plan, and I was pleased with it until I read some of the plans in this thread! I'm just not sure if I'm undervaluing the 6GB data + iPad sharing.

I think I'll just play dumb. I've already re-signed for another 3 years and upgraded my phone, so I don't really have anything to bargain with. I'll just call for my minutes and start asking a few questions. See how willing the person is to discuss things.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 11:42 AM   #35
Deuce Bigalow
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Wow, that was easy! I just called fido and got my plan lowered in 10mins with no effort! hahaha. Here are the details. Have had the iPhone 3GS for 1 year on their contract, the first contract I have had with Fido.

Previously:
- 100anytime minutes
- unlimited evenings/weekends starting @7
- unlimited texts
- vvm etc.
- 6gigs data
- $70

I didn't want to go too nuts, so I told em my brother recently got:
- 6gigs
- 350 e/w starting @ 6
- 100 longdistance
- vvm etc
- $65

He immediatly said they could match it. After about 5 mins of checking w/ retentions I came out with:

- 250mins
- unlimited evening and weekends starting at 5
- free unlimited incoming calls
- 100 long distance
- 6gigs data
- vvm etc.
$58

now to be fair there is a $10 credit per month that runs out after a year, but by that time the new iPhone will be out, so I'll just renegotiate it then.

Was much easier than I thought
Deuce Bigalow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 12:11 PM   #36
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:24 PM   #37
DrJ
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Great info! Thanks so much.

I have a Telus plan which expires in November. Would it be wise to call now and renew or just continue using my current plan until I decide to get a new phone? My understanding is that once my plan expires, I continue to pay my same monthly fee but I can leave Telus if I want.

Ideas for a strategy to get a good deal?
DrJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:55 PM   #38
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Hmmm.

350 Minutes
Unlimited Incoming Calls
Unlimited text
Visual Voicemail
6GB Data
iPad Sharing

It is really good, compared to retail plans, but you should be able to do better. The real value comes in account credits.

I got this last week:
200 daytime
Unlm 5pm evenings & weekends
Call ID, VVM, 2500 sms
6GB data

$52.50/mo.

I'm happy with it, but it's not an outstanding plan. My friend (who's been a customer longer) got the same thing plus 1000 long distance minutes for $47.50 all-in.

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MickMcGeough For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2010, 06:01 PM   #39
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJ View Post
Great info! Thanks so much.

I have a Telus plan which expires in November. Would it be wise to call now and renew or just continue using my current plan until I decide to get a new phone? My understanding is that once my plan expires, I continue to pay my same monthly fee but I can leave Telus if I want.

Ideas for a strategy to get a good deal?
For Rogers & Fido, it's much easier to get account credits put on your bill if you are renewing/extending. If you're planning on getting a new phone soon, I'd negotiate when you're ready for a hardware upgrade. That way you have the extra bargaining power of signing up for a new contract and you'll get subsidized pricing on your new phone.

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:28 PM   #40
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I called Rogers and got a plan similar to the one posted above:

200 daytime minutes and unlimited evenings and weekends starting at 6pm
6 GB data plan
2500 sent text messages, visual voicemail, caller ID

$52.50 per month and that includes taxes and fees. As comparison I was paying $65 before for the same plan but with 250 daytime minutes rather than 200.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
c-life likes tags , cell phone , oilers suck , oilers suck. , retention plan