Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2022, 09:59 PM   #1
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Let’s Talk About Op-Ed Writers/Columnists

Ok CP I know the dislike for Francis, Spector and now Lilly - but I am interested in hearing the names of OpEd writers you like.

I’d prefer to keep the list to writers whose stuff is not behind paywalls - but if you have to, go ahead.

I’d like to focus mostly on general/political op-Ed writers, but will take sports journalists as well
Old 08-07-2022, 10:10 PM   #2
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm definitely in the minority but I don't mind Francis.
Old 08-07-2022, 10:11 PM   #3
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
I'm definitely in the minority but I don't mind Francis.
Get him!!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2022, 10:16 PM   #4
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

What is the purpose of the op ed writer? Maybe I have only be exposed to the bad ones because they often come across as paid shills, eg) Francis and Corbella.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 10:31 PM   #5
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Corbella is the worst.

They are before my time (for when they actually wrote), but Tony Kornheiser and Dan Jenkins were great sports columnists.

For a 'generalist' columnist, I can't think of (m)any that are any could. I think you're far more likely to get a good thought provoker from a guest columnist writing about something they actually understand deeply than some schmoe who just pretends to know everything a little bit. Jen Gerson is the only good one that comes to mind at the moment.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2022, 10:32 PM   #6
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rex Murphy for when I need a good laugh and a reminder that money can buy the promotion any narrative no matter how absurd
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 11:05 PM   #7
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

My first thought is that there is no such thing as a good op-ed writer. I want journalists to help me understand an issue, not push me towards an agenda.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2022, 11:14 PM   #8
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I liked Andrew Coyne and Paul Wells when paper copies of Macleans were found in bathroom stalls. Now Coyne is behind a paywall at the Globe and Mail but is still a reasonable center right voice. His quality is down from what it used to be though.

Jen Gerson is pretty good. I enjoy that she gets called left by Conservative leaning voters in Alberta and right in her national work.

Jesse Brown of Canada Land - not quite op Ed and in podcast form only but I enjoy him and his guests because he provides Indigenous voices a platform and his general critique of the terrible state of news.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2022, 11:58 PM   #9
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

All of them are awful adverts. Almost all op ed writers are bought and paid for by some interest whether that be political or corporate. Evidence - anyone writing about the Edmonton Oilers, Rex Murphy, and Katie Telford telling the PM that she'll line up op eds to tell the country what tp think about things. You're mind will be better off not reading and ignoring and forming your own opinions on things from hard facts.
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 08:12 AM   #10
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know newspaper columnists. They aren’t paid by anyone except their publisher. If there was money to be made on the side as the mouthpiece of private interests, a lot more people would be going into journalism rather than leaving the profession in droves.

As for columnists I enjoy:

Robyn Urbach - Globe and Mail (paywalled). Mostly politics. Manages to have personality and a bit of bite without descending into snark.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/authors/robyn-urback/

Conor Friedersdorf - the Atlantic (paywalled, 3 free articles a month). Politics and culture. Big picture issues from a liberal perspective.

https://www.theatlantic.com/author/conor-friedersdorf/

Yascha Mounk - the Atlantic (paywalled, 3 free articles a month). International politics and global trends. Looks beyond the minutia of day-to-day politics.

https://www.theatlantic.com/author/yascha-mounk/

Caitlin Flanagan - the Atlantic (paywalled, 3 free articles a month). Social issues and culture. Insightful and often funny.

https://www.theatlantic.com/author/caitlin-flanagan/

David Mitchell - the Guardian (free). Culture and humour. One of the funniest people alive (ie “are we the baddies?”)

https://www.theguardian.com/profile/davidmitchell

Most major newspapers and magazines have returned to a subscription model because Facebook took their ad revenue lunch.

Interestingly, the Economist not only doesn’t have opinion columnists, it doesn’t even have bylines. One of the most prestigious english-language newspapers/magazines and its writers are pretty much anonymous.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 08-08-2022 at 08:49 AM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 08:32 AM   #11
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are very few good ones in Canadian newspapers these days. Like Cliff mentioned - the Global and Mail might be the only paper in Canada that doesn't have a obvious slant that rivals the worsts posts on CP - Postmedia will slag Trudeau/provincial lefties and Torstar will slag the Conservatives/provincials righties to the point where it's useless to read the op-eds because they will make a mountain of whatever molehill they can find and then move to the next molehill they can blow out of proportion.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2022, 08:51 AM   #12
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Corbella is the worst.

They are before my time (for when they actually wrote), but Tony Kornheiser and Dan Jenkins were great sports columnists.

For a 'generalist' columnist, I can't think of (m)any that are any could. I think you're far more likely to get a good thought provoker from a guest columnist writing about something they actually understand deeply than some schmoe who just pretends to know everything a little bit. Jen Gerson is the only good one that comes to mind at the moment.

I honestly would like to see a Corbella article posted that didn't misrepresent the facts and told the entire truth

She seems to think if she is presenting an view it has to be bullet proof and can't account for other perspectives. Given most things have levels of grey it would be amazing if she realized showing the entire true perspective, as best one could, would make her worthwhile.
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 09:03 AM   #13
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mull View Post
She seems to think if she is presenting an view it has to be bullet proof and can't account for other perspectives. Given most things have levels of grey it would be amazing if she realized showing the entire true perspective, as best one could, would make her worthwhile.
The marching orders most columnists get from their editors is to express a strong opinion and not be wishy-washy. Their job is to drive engagement, and readers who hate an opinion are as engaged (if not more engaged) as readers who agree with it.

Nobody should be looking to opinion pieces as their primary source of news. What’s far more concerning than columnists giving a one-sided perspective on an issue is news stories being one-sided.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2022, 09:08 AM   #14
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
The marching orders most columnists get from their editors is to express a strong opinion and not be wishy-washy. Their job is to drive engagement, and readers who hate an opinion are as engaged (if not more engaged) as readers who agree with it.

Nobody should be looking to opinion pieces as their primary source of news. What’s far more concerning than columnists giving a one-sided perspective on an issue is news stories being one-sided.
#### here I have been strictly reading the rebel and the Narwhal as my only news sources!

Joking aside, that's fair and I wasn't implying I anyone should read them as a primary news source. I just don't think it weakens ones argument by addressing the associated flaws up front, instead of ignoring them. For me, it strengthens their view as I feel they have actually thought through the issue.

But I hear you on engagement and the current purpose of columnist in our world today. Sucks but I guess its how we are wired.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mull For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2022, 10:01 AM   #15
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I know newspaper columnists. They aren’t paid by anyone except their publisher. If there was money to be made on the side as the mouthpiece of private interests, a lot more people would be going into journalism rather than leaving the profession in droves.
It doesn't have to be directly financial, there are other forms of graft. Corbella almost certainly gets an annual invite to the Scurfield's cabin in exchange for puff pieces on Sunshine Village. Of course she'd never disclose such a CoI.

Other times it can be a career security hedge - maintain good relationships for the Comms Directors at huge companies who give a wink that they'll hire you if you ever need the work.

Most people go into journalism with morals and principles...another reason people are fleeing is because they are ashamed of their company and/or don't want to be involved in shady unspecified advertorials, etc.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 11:27 AM   #16
karl262
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Rick Bell.

Instead of calling it City Hall he calls it Silly Hall. Genius!
karl262 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to karl262 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2022, 12:06 PM   #17
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl262 View Post
Rick Bell.

Instead of calling it City Hall he calls it Silly Hall. Genius!

Seems a little verbose for the Dinger. May I give it a go?

Rick Bell.

City Hall?

No.

Silly Hall.

A Big Blue Playpen.

Hear that sound?

Ding-a-ling.

Time's up!

Rick Bell.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2022, 01:10 PM   #18
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The writer must answer to a team of editors and the editors must answer to a board of directors, the directors are beholden to a complex web of business interests. How many media companies can you name that arent a part of a massive corporate conglomerate?
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 01:18 PM   #19
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
The writer must answer to a team of editors and the editors must answer to a board of directors, the directors are beholden to a complex web of business interests. How many media companies can you name that arent a part of a massive corporate conglomerate?
I don't think a massive corporates conglomerate are more or less trustworthy then an independent media company.

Independent media companies have their own BoD, and business interests.

Heck, lets go even smaller, less cooperate - independent bloggers without BoD can and are skewed

Each company gets rated on its on individual basis, I don't think it being owned by a corporates conglomerate impacts its rating.

Last edited by Mull; 08-08-2022 at 01:21 PM.
Old 08-08-2022, 02:44 PM   #20
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Andrew Coyne and Jen Gerson are my go-to's in Canadian politics. Their twitter accounts are hilarious in that people accuse them of being both in the pockets of conservatives and liberals over the same article.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post: