Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2022, 09:58 AM   #21
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mull View Post
I honestly have no idea what the Bennett trade has to do with my post.

As I said - I saw hockey player news posted it to the hockey sub forum. If that’s wrong .. ok? Not arguing over that just saying it’s in the mods hands now.
There you go again!!! Bennett trade was a mistake and Treliving should be fired and Kylington is nothing without Tanev. Way to go Mull. Way to go.
Old 08-07-2022, 09:59 AM   #22
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
There you go again!!! Bennett trade was a mistake and Treliving should be fired and Kylington is nothing without Tanev. Way to go Mull. Way to go.

I admit I don’t understand this reply at all and it’s way over my head
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 10:11 AM   #23
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

WTF I thought there was a new Bennett trade. Are we still talking about the old one where we traded a free agent on an expiring contract that didn't want to be here?
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 10:18 AM   #24
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

I had no idea I lost my liberty here. What day did that happen? Nobody told me. Darn.

Anyways, this thread is more political than hockey news so I'll move it to the OT Forum.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2022, 10:20 AM   #25
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

The truckers in Ottawa were actually taking away the liberty of people who live in Ottawa when the occupied the city.
Old 08-07-2022, 10:32 AM   #26
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
The truckers in Ottawa were actually taking away the liberty of people who live in Ottawa when the occupied the city.
Good luck ever getting those truckers to admit it.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 10:40 AM   #27
Sec214
First Line Centre

Exp:

Freedumb
Old 08-07-2022, 10:42 AM   #28
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fisher is more outspoken than most, but I expect his opinions are privately shared by many NHLers. Around 20 per cent of Canadians and over a third of Americans believe pandemic measures = tyranny, and there’s no reason to believe professional hockey players differ from the general public in that respect.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 10:44 AM   #29
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJolg View Post
He feels how he feels what’s the big deal, lots of people feel similar in Canada now over what’s gone on the last few years. It’s a exaggeration on his part in my opinion but I can see where he’s coming from, if you think things were handled/are being handled well in Canada I’d likely call you a wack job if I met you
The big deal is that there is a significant difference between general dissatisfaction with authorities' handling of a once in a lifetime pandemic and the belief that Canada is entering tyrannical dictatorship. If you spend any small part of your day studying what these people believe you can quickly figure out this had very little to do with mandates and COVID protocols.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2022, 11:23 AM   #30
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Fisher is more outspoken than most, but I expect his opinions are privately shared by many NHLers. Around 20 per cent of Canadians and over a third of Americans believe pandemic measures = tyranny, and there’s no reason to believe professional hockey players differ from the general public in that respect.
Even if the 20/30% figures are true, that doesn’t make Fishers’s comments any less irredeemably stupid.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Fighting Banana Slug For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2022, 11:29 AM   #31
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

The whole tyranny and loss of liberty thing is a massive eye-rolling exaggeration, but looking at it from an NHLers point of view, they travel all over the continent, got to live life normally in some places but were pretty much restricted to the hotel in other places.

Still completely idiotic comments
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 03:22 PM   #32
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
The whole tyranny and loss of liberty thing is a massive eye-rolling exaggeration, but looking at it from an NHLers point of view, they travel all over the continent, got to live life normally in some places but were pretty much restricted to the hotel in other places.

Still completely idiotic comments
Mike Fisher is not a NHL hockey player, he is just some guy who married a rich lady.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 04:14 PM   #33
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
Mike has been a constant fighter for freedom, not just white male grievance liberty either. When Kaepernick was fighting injustice and violations of liberty against black males in the USA, Mike Fisher was there for the fight. When indigenous Canadians were fighting for liberty through Idle No More, Mike Fisher fought for their liberty. Freedom and liberty is not just a cause du jour for these people, it crosses all cultural and ethnic lines.
First, I haven't heard anything about Mike Fisher being an ally for the black or the indigenous community. He could be but I couldn't find anything with a quick google search.

Second, the comparison between being made to wear a mask or whatever people are concerned about anymore and the oppression experienced by marginalized populations is maddening.
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mean Mr. Mustard For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2022, 04:25 PM   #34
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
Mike Fisher is not a NHL hockey player, he is just some guy who married a rich lady.
Are we talking about completely different Mike Fishers?
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 04:27 PM   #35
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Are we talking about completely different Mike Fishers?
When push comes to shove it's all about silly, useless semantics, or the classic "define _____?"

Tiresome rhetoric.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 04:31 PM   #36
TherapyforGlencross
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
First, I haven't heard anything about Mike Fisher being an ally for the black or the indigenous community. He could be but I couldn't find anything with a quick google search.

Second, the comparison between being made to wear a mask or whatever people are concerned about anymore and the oppression experienced by marginalized populations is maddening.
A false equivalency for sure. I too tried to look it up, but all I could find was an article saying “Jeff Fisher” refuses to criticize Kaepernick’s kneeling.

Regardless, people are people. I like to think that I understand everyone has emotions and the pandemic was certainly a difficult time for many. However, I have trouble empathizing with professional athletes in their “freedoms” being taken away. Staying in expensive hotels while unable to grab a bite to eat at their favourite restaurant for two or three seasons while still earning millions, give me a break. Players only go to the rink, grab a bite to eat at restaurant (Brad Treliving’s word as per his most recent discussion regarding Huberdeau) and stay in their hotel room during normal times. And I don’t think Fisher was into the partying scene. Regardless, he’s been retired. So, I’d have to think he had the opportunity to enhance his lifestyle during the pandemic if he so desired, unlike the usual folks. Low and behold, we’re back doing the regular stuff.

Last edited by TherapyforGlencross; 08-07-2022 at 04:34 PM.
TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 04:37 PM   #37
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fisher hasn't played an NHL game since 2018, so COVID restrictions wouldn't have had any impact on him as a professional athlete.
Old 08-07-2022, 04:39 PM   #38
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post

I think he was being facetious since Mike Fisher, like many of those suddenly passionate about “freedom” in relation to the pandemic, have spoken up about literally nothing else.

In other words, Fisher is just a selfish loser like the rest of the freedom convoy types. They don’t care about freedom for everyone, they care about being inconvenienced like adult toddlers.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 06:21 PM   #39
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I think he was being facetious since Mike Fisher, like many of those suddenly passionate about “freedom” in relation to the pandemic, have spoken up about literally nothing else.

In other words, Fisher is just a selfish loser like the rest of the freedom convoy types. They don’t care about freedom for everyone, they care about being inconvenienced like adult toddlers.
I'm usually pretty apt at picking up on sarcasm so I feel foolish if that is the case. The sad thing is that I have heard people who do compare the plight of people who have been actually oppressed to their own... Ie "the my body my choice" false equivalency.
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 06:43 PM   #40
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
Even if the 20/30% figures are true, that doesn’t make Fishers’s comments any less irredeemably stupid.
I didn’t mean to suggest they aren’t stupid. Just pointing out that in all likelihood dozens of NHLers feel the same way he does, they just keep those feelings to themselves.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote