Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2022, 02:11 PM   #21
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
5.5M AAV x 6 years is my bet.
That's reasonable so long as there are no NTC or NC clauses in the contract. Mangiapane is a support player and if you need to burn the place the ground is a guy that could get you some good assets in return. Don't throw up roadblocks in this likely scenario. Give him that money and give him that term but be prepared for all possible scenarios.

The $7M number? If he thinks he's worth $7M, move on. I don't see a 40-45 goal scorer there. I think he, like most Flames this season, will take a step backward. Hence the change in tactics from the agent. He was prepared to push him to immediate free agency by signing the qualifying offer, now he's going to arbitration to up the ante, or press for that long-term deal.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2022, 02:12 PM   #22
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Yeah I'm sure he's making a "pitch" at $7M+

I'd be on board with $5.5M x 5 though.

Burakovsky: 5 x $5.5M
Kempe: 4 x $5.5M

Both those guys numbers last year are pretty comparable and right in line with what you'd expect for Mangiapane.
I don't think it will go this way.

I think it'll be long term deal now with the premium attached projecting him at 35+ goals again, or he'll bet on himself and sign a one year deal and go to market.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 02:12 PM   #23
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Uh oh. I don't like this. An agent trying to get in front of the public conversation? Seems like a negotiating tactic when things aren't going well.

Just my opinion.
To be fair to Mangiapane's side he's probably been told without being told that they're sorting out what's happening with Tkachuk before they get too involved in discussions on his extension.

Gotta be a frustrating position to be in, though Gaudreau leaving definitely increased his chances for a bigger contract.
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 02:13 PM   #24
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

A long term deal would have to have some hedging on both sides. The Flames can't assume that the 35 goals this year were not a fluke, especially given that he seemed to cool off as the season went on. Despite cooling off, I feel that his overall game took strides.

Would a 6x6 deal be fair?
Old 07-18-2022, 02:15 PM   #25
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Would a 6x6 deal be fair?
That's what I wrote first on my first post this thread, but then decided to be optimistic that Brad could talk him into a $5mil AAV (maybe at the cost of a year).

I have a feeling this one turns into a "7x7 or 1yr arbitrator's ruling" type of negotiation though.
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 02:16 PM   #26
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon View Post
To be fair to Mangiapane's side he's probably been told without being told that they're sorting out what's happening with Tkachuk before they get too involved in discussions on his extension.

Gotta be a frustrating position to be in, though Gaudreau leaving definitely increased his chances for a bigger contract.
I suppose that may be true although now Gaudreau is gone and they haven't really used any of those cap savings in free agency I don't see anything really preventing a Mangiapane deal. Unless they are waiting on a player in free agency.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 02:16 PM   #27
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
I don't think it will go this way.

I think it'll be long term deal now with the premium attached projecting him at 35+ goals again, or he'll bet on himself and sign a one year deal and go to market.
I wonder if Mangiapane is looking at 2 long term deals and Calgary being his best bet to get that

5 x $6 mil he’s 31 and likely to get first line minutes and pp with Johnny gone

He might get a 6 year deal again if for even bigger money if he commits to Calgary
Macho0978 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 02:17 PM   #28
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really good interview with Winter. Talks about the problems facing Canadian teams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macho0978 View Post
I wonder if Mangiapane is looking at 2 long term deals and Calgary being his best bet to get that

5 x $6 mil he’s 31 and likely to get first line minutes and pp with Johnny gone

He might get a 6 year deal again if for even bigger money if he commits to Calgary
I'd think he'd want to go back to market in his 20s, not his 30s.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 02:18 PM   #29
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

His agent emphatically states that Mangiapane's goal is to score 40-45 goals this year.
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 02:19 PM   #30
SnipeShow
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mile View Post
His agent emphatically states that Mangiapane's goal is to score 40-45 goals this year.
That's my goal as well

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
SnipeShow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SnipeShow For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2022, 02:28 PM   #31
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah I'm sure he's making a "pitch" at around $7M.

Mangiapane: 35 goals - 55 points

Burakovsky: 5 x $5.5M: 22 goals - 61 points
Kempe: 4 x $5.5M: 35 goals - 54 points

Both those guys numbers last year are pretty comparable and right in line with what you'd expect for Mangiapane.
Yeah, and just a little higher than McCann, and some older guys like Rust and Rakell.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 02:28 PM   #32
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Had Gaudreau and Tkachuk both signed, Mangiapane would be the odd man out on any long term deals.

With Gaudreau out of the picture, and the Tkachuk situation up in the air, this is the perfect time for Mangiapane to step in to solidy not only himself as a top 6, but potentially even a top 3 and to ask for top 3 money. He's the obvious Gaudreau replacement on the first line right now if no other moves are made, he's not going to get a better opportunity then this one and he and his agent knows it.

I don't see a problem here with the play. And Flames are clearly in a weaker position to negotiate right now, and need to start to think of a longer term plan B.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 02:34 PM   #33
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah I'm sure he's making a "pitch" at around $7M.

Mangiapane: 35 goals - 55 points

Burakovsky: 5 x $5.5M: 22 goals - 61 points
Kempe: 4 x $5.5M: 35 goals - 54 points

I don't think the player and his agent would be, though. Not for 5 or more years.

I'd guess 5.5M would be the minimum you'd be paying, given the change in the Flames circumstances. maybe a bit higher and they'd settle for 6.25 x 5.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 02:37 PM   #34
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

He is still likely the second line lw, as Tkachuk moves yo his natural side and Pelletier slides into the third and lucid anchors the fourth.
Old 07-18-2022, 02:38 PM   #35
PuckSlap
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Now that’s what I call breaking bread
PuckSlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 02:39 PM   #36
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Really good interview with Winter. Talks about the problems facing Canadian teams.

I'd think he'd want to go back to market in his 20s, not his 30s.
But your ignoring the opportunity piece. You think Kadri was thinking 2 years ago that at age 32 he could get a long term deal at $7 to $8 mil? I bet he would have said no way

Mangiapane stays and he’s getting good ice in a situation he knows he can excel in. That opportunity is key to getting a 2nd big contract that he might not he would ever get before this past season
Macho0978 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 02:39 PM   #37
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really good interview with Winter. Very thoughtful responses from him. He had a ton of praise for Treliving and thinks very highly of his capabilities as a GM.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2022, 02:39 PM   #38
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Chucky will stay on the right, and I for one will gladly welcome back our new LW overlord Bread Eater.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 02:46 PM   #39
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Really good interview with Winter. Very thoughtful responses from him. He had a ton of praise for Treliving and thinks very highly of his capabilities as a GM.
Flattery gets your everywhere in life.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aarongavey For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2022, 02:55 PM   #40
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great interview with Rich Winter. Very informative and interesting.

One thing I noticed when he talks about factors that players consider when leaving or signing with a team, winning isn't really mentioned. It tends to come down to money, lifestyle, and opportunity to play with complementary players.

Reading between the lines, I think the third part is a huge priority for Mangiapane. Winter emphasizes this a lot with Mangiapane specifically. He wants to play with the best and he wants the first PP unit time. It sounds like more than anything, he wants to be a top guy and to play with other top guys so he can be productive, and sees the Flames as his chance to keep doing that. He probably doesn't want to leave and risk falling into depth on another team. I can respect that. Second of course is money. From the sound of it, Mangiapane isn't necessarily pining for lifestyle markets.

I have always suspected that winning wasn't as big of a deal to a lot of players as it is to fans, at least not until those players are closer to retirement. Up until then, it is money, lifestyle, and personal on-ice success/opportunity. Of course winning is nice, but I suspect it plays a much smaller role in where most players sign.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 07-18-2022 at 03:08 PM.
FlamesAddiction is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to FlamesAddiction For This Useful Post:

Tags
edmonton is no good