Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2022, 06:45 PM   #1521
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Canadian roads are so inferior to other countries - Europe/US. There should be a limited access route from ferry terminals near Vancouver to Sydney NS, with spur routes to Halifax and southern Ontario. In the west, a northern route via Edmonton and Saskatoon, and a southern route via Calgary and Regina.

There are areas between Whiteshell, MB and Nipigon, ON that have 1-lane roads in each direction that when shut down, cause a complete disconnection in Canadian infrastructure, where it isn't possible to get from one side of the country to the other without going through the US.
butterfly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 08:16 PM   #1522
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like all Calgary Herald archives have been moved behind some sort of a paywall access system. It needs registration etc. This explains why nothing pops up in Google search, I suppose.
Old 08-08-2022, 10:25 PM   #1523
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
Switzerland's taxes aren't that low. Federally they are, but the individual cantons also have income taxes which are normally significantly higher than the federal rate. And of course, Switzerland also has a wealth tax which collects up to 1% of a person's taxable net worth each year (depending on the canton), which allows them to have lower income tax rates.

Their tax-to-GDP ratio puts them 31st among the 38 OECD nations between Australia and the US (Canada is 21st).
What in the actual **** do you not know?
It's crazy.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 10:58 PM   #1524
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
What in the actual **** do you not know?
It's crazy.
It’s all probably Google-foo. Need to see his paycheque to confirm.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 11:40 PM   #1525
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
It’s all probably Google-foo. Need to see his paycheque to confirm.
He's probably just a professor of logic down at the University of Science, rather than the wonderful, life changing, **** you money teachers we get here on CP.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2022, 11:42 PM   #1526
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
Canadian roads are so inferior to other countries - Europe/US. There should be a limited access route from ferry terminals near Vancouver to Sydney NS, with spur routes to Halifax and southern Ontario. In the west, a northern route via Edmonton and Saskatoon, and a southern route via Calgary and Regina.

There are areas between Whiteshell, MB and Nipigon, ON that have 1-lane roads in each direction that when shut down, cause a complete disconnection in Canadian infrastructure, where it isn't possible to get from one side of the country to the other without going through the US.
Canadian roads and highways should be inferior to most of the world just looking at a map. I appreciate that we attempt to keep up with citizens travelling vast distances over the second largest country in the entire world with only 37mil tax payers, but I ain't complaining when they fall quite short, as I can see how absurd it is to attempt to keep up with.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2022, 08:15 AM   #1527
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Canadian roads and highways should be inferior to most of the world just looking at a map. I appreciate that we attempt to keep up with citizens travelling vast distances over the second largest country in the entire world with only 37mil tax payers, but I ain't complaining when they fall quite short, as I can see how absurd it is to attempt to keep up with.
Not even just the size, but the vast changes in geography and weather conditions.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 09:55 AM   #1528
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

103 countries in the world have 7.5M people. Canada ranks 102nd in population density, ahead of only Australia.

Of course most of the people live in a small portion of the land area (though this is true of most large land-area countries) - if we say only 10% of the land really matters, we can multiply our density by 10, which jumps us all the way up to 95th (though you could probably make a similar adjustment for the countries we would surpass: Kazakhstan, Russia, Bolivia, Chad, Saudi Arabia, Mali, and Argentina)
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 10:13 AM   #1529
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
F-that.

Canada is a large country, with the vast majority of its population (what is it, 90%? Maybe opendoor can google it for us) living in a relatively and conveniently linear portion. There is really no reason that we can't have a proper, divided highway connecting the major population centres, which are, again, in a conveniently linear path. The economic costs surely far outweigh the fiscal cost of fixing this mess.
you&me is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2022, 10:16 AM   #1530
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
F-that.

Canada is a large country, with the vast majority of its population (what is it, 90%? Maybe opendoor can google it for us) living in a relatively and conveniently linear portion. There is really no reason that we can't have a proper, divided highway connecting the major population centres, which are, again, in a conveniently linear path. The economic costs surely far outweigh the fiscal cost of fixing this mess.
The example in the post jayswin responded to is basically endless lakes.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2022, 10:25 AM   #1531
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Sure 90% is a linear portion but that linear portion is like 7,000 km. Are you really going to build a 4 lane highway from Kenora to Ottawa? Or from Quebec City to Sydney?

GirlySports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 10:44 AM   #1532
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Phase 4 of the Kicking Horse Canyon project is 4.8km and supposed to be around $601 million. I can't see how people would be fine with the expense of widening the entire thing. It would take 100 years.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 12:07 PM   #1533
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's the most challenging segment on the entire road.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 12:17 PM   #1534
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
That's the most challenging segment on the entire road.
Sure, but most of the remaining undivided parts are also very challenging. E.g.:

https://goo.gl/maps/4Ao7yRhWuRNYkaLE9

https://goo.gl/maps/Z4vs7PSTk96L4h2i6
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 03:23 PM   #1535
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He's probably just a professor of logic down at the University of Science, rather than the wonderful, life changing, **** you money teachers we get here on CP.
A question well posed is a question half answered. Some people know exactly the right questions to ask and thus can efficiently and effectively find the answer to a variety of questions.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2022, 05:22 PM   #1536
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Every Aug 9 like clockwork, the regurgitated Gretzky trade articles reappear. Only been 34 years guys.. move on.
The Fisher Account is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Fisher Account For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2022, 06:25 PM   #1537
jayswin

Exp:

How do you guys deal with one way conversation people? I've grown up super polite in conversation to the point of being that guy that will just sit there letting someone vent or ramble on about whatever bull**** is bothering them that day, with a smile and engaging facial expressions while wanting to jump off a bridge on the inside.

Why is there so many people that have zero ability to converse two ways? Like they just want to spew everything they've been thinking about all day and think other people actually enjoy that? It's crazy. Although I guess trying to be the nice guy that has time for literally any rant, issue or benign ramble anyone wants to toss against someone doesn't help matters.

Last edited by jayswin; 08-09-2022 at 06:29 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2022, 06:28 PM   #1538
jayswin

Exp:

I guess now I'm just getting old and don't have the energy to be there for anyone that wants to get things off their chest or speak one way. These days I actually get physically and emotionally drained if I stand there and listen to someone for a few minutes. Worse so if they're flustered or ranty.

I've started becoming a little more rude and I don't want to be that way, but I've found myself more and more with people like that where I eventually kind of go "alright man, I can't do this for too long, sorry". But because I've historically been so polite I think it's throwing some people off, especially at work.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2022, 06:46 PM   #1539
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
Looks like all Calgary Herald archives have been moved behind some sort of a paywall access system. It needs registration etc. This explains why nothing pops up in Google search, I suppose.
If you have a public library card you can access their archives from 1883 to 2010 here: https://www.proquest.com/hnpcalgaryh...countid=140093
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2022, 07:12 PM   #1540
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Not even just the size, but the vast changes in geography and weather conditions.
Europe and the US have similar varying geographies and weather conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
The example in the post jayswin responded to is basically endless lakes.
It's possible to build around them. I-94 in western Minnesota comes to mind. Alligator Alley in Florida is over 100 km of freeway through the Everglades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Sure 90% is a linear portion but that linear portion is like 7,000 km. Are you really going to build a 4 lane highway from Kenora to Ottawa? Or from Quebec City to Sydney?
Yes. There is heavy truck traffic on those routes, especially the first one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Phase 4 of the Kicking Horse Canyon project is 4.8km and supposed to be around $601 million. I can't see how people would be fine with the expense of widening the entire thing. It would take 100 years.
The Kicking Horse Canyon project looks great. I-70 through Glenwood Canyon (Colorado) was supposed to be impossible, too. And it did take many years. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYL1YK3c4rw
butterfly is online now   Reply With Quote