Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2022, 02:40 PM   #761
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashartus View Post
Credit cards are at least as bad. I had a purchase declined so had to call the company to get it go through. I called the number on my card, waited on hold for an hour only to get told that person can't help me and needs to transfer me to another department, leaving me on hold for another hour and a half. Same thing happened to my wife with a different company, she was on hold for an hour, transferred to another department and left on hold for over 2 hours.
Its a nightmare. Actually trying to speak to a human is nearly impossible.

And the Callback option isnt much better. The first time my wife tried it selecting the callback option just instantly disconnected her and the second time she input all the information and then days and days went by with no callback.

Back on hold she went...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 02:44 PM   #762
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
Was it green bin day?

With all the rain I cut mine to 5 on Tuesday before green bin day and then today to proper length
Nope, that’s Tuesday. It’s not a one-off either; this is a regular occurrence.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 02:56 PM   #763
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

It constantly amazes me how a simple honk will throw a dude into a rage. If my ego bruised so easily I’d be embarrassed.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 02:58 PM   #764
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Lol...I have to laugh at people who I now dub 'Homers.'

People who adamantly want to work from home as much as possible, but dont want to acknowledge the realities that comes with that.

For instance, I said I'd get back to a client tomorrow and he says:

"Oh? You dont have tomorrow off? Um...I probably dont get tomorrow off either. We usually get Parade Day off but I'm scheduled to work tomorrow."

Well...yeah. Many office workers would get Parade Day off because getting in and out of Downtown on Parade Day is a nightmare and lots of people are off...but when you're working in a basement in Bonavista its just...Friday.
You shut up!

We get tomorrow off because the parade goes right past our office, even though most of us are still working from home, and even those who go into the office regularly usually work from home on Fridays.
Old 07-07-2022, 03:04 PM   #765
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
You shut up!

We get tomorrow off because the parade goes right past our office, even though most of us are still working from home, and even those who go into the office regularly usually work from home on Fridays.
Whatever you say Homer...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 07-07-2022, 03:05 PM   #766
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Its a nightmare. Actually trying to speak to a human is nearly impossible.

And the Callback option isnt much better. The first time my wife tried it selecting the callback option just instantly disconnected her and the second time she input all the information and then days and days went by with no callback.

Back on hold she went...

Your bank sucks.

RBC has been dece. I recently had my credit card compromised, and had a dozen or so charges in ontario. Got ‘em on the phone, charges wiped, and new credit card expedited within the hour.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 03:07 PM   #767
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashartus View Post
Credit cards are at least as bad. I had a purchase declined so had to call the company to get it go through. I called the number on my card, waited on hold for an hour only to get told that person can't help me and needs to transfer me to another department, leaving me on hold for another hour and a half. Same thing happened to my wife with a different company, she was on hold for an hour, transferred to another department and left on hold for over 2 hours.
Wife and I just received new cards in the mail the other day. I'm the primary card holder, she is secondary. I can activate my new card online as the primary cardholder, she had to call in to activate hers. She also has to reset her PIN (which apparently needs to done at a branch/ATM), my card is good to go. WTF is with that?
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 03:09 PM   #768
Misterpants
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Wife and I just received new cards in the mail the other day. I'm the primary card holder, she is secondary. I can activate my new card online as the primary cardholder, she had to call in to activate hers. She also has to reset her PIN (which apparently needs to done at a branch/ATM), my card is good to go. WTF is with that?
What's the number and expiry? I'll look into it.
Misterpants is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Misterpants For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2022, 03:13 PM   #769
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

People who adamantly want to work from home as much as possible, but dont want to acknowledge the realities that comes with that.

"Oh? You dont have tomorrow off? Um...I probably dont get tomorrow off either. We usually get Parade Day off but I'm scheduled to work tomorrow."

Well...yeah. Many office workers would get Parade Day off because getting in and out of Downtown on Parade Day is a nightmare and lots of people are off...but when you're working in a basement in Bonavista its just...Friday.
1 day a year vs the other 300+ of not having a commute? We 'homers' still win.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 03:20 PM   #770
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
1 day a year vs the other 300+ of not having a commute? We 'homers' still win.
Its not even a matter of 'Winning or Losing' although that does tell me a bit about how you identify your employer as an adversary.

WFH is still in its infancy, there are going to be growing pains as everyone gets more accustomed to it.

Old 07-07-2022, 03:23 PM   #771
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Its not even a matter of 'Winning or Losing' although that does tell me a bit about how you identify your employer as an adversary.

WFH is still in its infancy, there are going to be growing pains as everyone gets more accustomed to it.
An adversary? lol. I'm amazing at what I do and we get this as a privilege. That said, they're lucky to have me, too. Most adults are quite capable of working from home.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2022, 03:24 PM   #772
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I like when people can get more time off.

Why the fata do we work so much, anyway? Like, in the 70s and 80s and before I get it. No computers. Waiting around for mail to send things. Driving around to customers' and clients' places more. With all our tech now we can get so much done. It's so lame it doesn't equate to more time off. Still putting in our 40 hours like sheep instead of enjoying the fruits of our collective increased efficiency.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2022, 03:24 PM   #773
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
An adversary? lol. I'm amazing at what I do and we get this as a privilege. That said, they're lucky to have me, too. Most adults are quite capable of working from home.
Oh absolutely, its just going to take some time to settle in.

Old 07-07-2022, 03:34 PM   #774
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post

Why the fata do we work so much, anyway? Like, in the 70s and 80s and before I get it. No computers. Waiting around for mail to send things. Driving around to customers' and clients' places more. With all our tech now we can get so much done. It's so lame it doesn't equate to more time off. Still putting in our 40 hours like sheep instead of enjoying the fruits of our collective increased efficiency.
Because bosses don't trust people being paid to do nothing. The perception of it. I know, I know, you did the work twice as fast but that means would can do double the work, not work half less.

You're right, why is it a 40 hour work week? Why are people still working 9-5? It's engrained in society. Bosses feel they need to be in control. WFH kills the middle manager.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 03:39 PM   #775
Misterpants
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My favourite Reddit posts are those people on r/antiwork who have found a way to automate their job through computer scripts or something and their antiquated bosses don't know the difference so they just kinda chill for 6.5 hrs a day after they are all done. I worked with a dude who did this for a lab and he was the raddest dude. Only guy who knew how to run some reports so he was basically invaluable but his day was done by 9am. Sales guys always wanted him to come on sales calls and give some shpiel but he refused because he hated most people. Half the time I'd roll up to him to chat he was asleep. Legend.
Misterpants is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Misterpants For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2022, 03:41 PM   #776
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post

Don't forget how some clients will complain you're overcharging them if they don't see you balls to the wall all the time.

"Heh, I guess your company isn't very busy or pretty lazy if I come here and most of you guys aren't working, eh?"

"... it's 12:30 and we are having lunch..."
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 03:45 PM   #777
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterpants View Post
My favourite Reddit posts are those people on r/antiwork who have found a way to automate their job through computer scripts or something and their antiquated bosses don't know the difference so they just kinda chill for 6.5 hrs a day after they are all done. I worked with a dude who did this for a lab and he was the raddest dude. Only guy who knew how to run some reports so he was basically invaluable but his day was done by 9am. Sales guys always wanted him to come on sales calls and give some shpiel but he refused because he hated most people. Half the time I'd roll up to him to chat he was asleep. Legend.
I think this is true. Worker-boss relationship in office jobs are equivalent to teenager-parent relationship. The younger generation is ahead and uses technology to their advantage.

The boss asks when you can get something done and you tell him it's complex and will take some time, maybe a couple days. You already have scripts and templates that you can set up and complete in an hour or two and bugger off the rest. The boss gets it in a day and a half instead of two and he's happy because you were fast.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2022, 04:10 PM   #778
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
What kind of card? Fee based cards I find the "concierge" is fast and effective. No fee cards are like this. It's almost like you get what you pay for.
CIBC Visa Infinite. I do pay a fee which made me doubly annoyed at the poor service.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 04:18 PM   #779
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterpants View Post
Early in my career I had to do menial work, like printing from this special software. It was slow, and took about 2 minutes to download each job. And there were no automated ways of printing 300 documents. I realized I was clicking in the exact same spots, but also had some key presses. I found an automated "replay" tool that would move the mouse, and replay your clicks and key presses. Took a little bit to setup, but once I had it...damn. So nice. The only problem was that once started, you couldn't tough a thing. So I'd have to commander an inactive machine to run it on.

I've also done some Excel vba scripts that saved weeks of dull work. Anything I can automate, I do. Sometimes writing the scripts takes as long as doing the job would have, but is far more enjoyable for the brain. Plus I can use it later.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 04:28 PM   #780
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

What has gotten me for a while are folks who simply can't acknowledge that any sort of work schedule outside of M-F, 9-5 exists and that the perks associated with that kind of schedule aren't just automagically shared by everyone who works.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post: