Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2022, 03:09 PM   #761
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah.I enjoyed the race too. I did expect a bit more, but was not disappointed overall
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 03:36 PM   #762
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

We were out for lunch so no audio but the last laps looked exciting as Sainz was coming on. I was envisioning him jumping out of the car and….

Last edited by speede5; 06-19-2022 at 03:39 PM.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 03:45 PM   #763
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good race. I was blown away at the lack of chaos at turns 1 and 2 on lap 1. Every Canadian GP I've watched there was always something. I suppose Hamilton and K Mag touching counts.

After that, kind of a ho hum race. Lots of different Tyre strategies which was cool.

Poor Lando today. Yeah the car wasn't great but that double stack pit was sheer failure on McLarens part.
Old 06-19-2022, 04:03 PM   #764
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

My first F1 in person and I quite enjoyed it (today, yesterday was miserable). Close right to the end and my whole section seemed to be rooting for Sainz who just messed up the last lap.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 05:20 PM   #765
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelVarnsen View Post
Alpine’s strategy is odd
ALO is my guy so I was dialed in on him and had his driver cam on 2nd screen most of the time. He just had awful luck on the 2nd VSC timing:

RUS was about 2 seconds behind him at the time and Merc called him in under yellow flags but before the VSC was officially deployed (it was deployed before George reached his pit so he still got most of the cheap stop benefit). ALO was literally braking for the chicane when the yellows came up - 10 seconds later it became VSC.

Alpine called on ALO to box next time around, but VSC ended while he was coming down the straight after the hairpin so they kept him out. So he literally didn't have an opportunity to box under VSC - his engineers might have known about the MSC incident about 5-10 seconds before that braking zone, but you wouldn't want to box until the VSC was actually deployed - he was just unlucky that it lasted for the 90% of his lap that didn't include the pit entrance.

Re-watching George's onboard it looks like it may have just been a scheduled stop. Radio messages must be very slightly delayed relative to the picture - the engineer seemed to always be talking in the braking zones. Engineer called "Strat 5" halfway through that lap (I think code for box, which they don't want to say until the last possible moment so competitors can't react), and then asked him about flap adjustment down the final straight. On this feed the engineer called box after George had slowed for pit entrance (and it was a particularly calm "box box box" which you wouldn't expect if it was a last second call).

We know VSC's don't work 100% perfectly as various drivers tend to gain/lose a few seconds each time, which I think simply owes to where they are on the track when it starts/ends...which makes me wonder if VSC should run for a more specified length of time (ie. full lap equivalent of the VSC delta time). It could be particularly impactful at a track like Spa - a car that goes through the slower speed sector 2 under VSC would benefit more than a car in sector 1 or 3 which have much faster race speeds. But it might also be lame to make a VSC last 3 mins at Spa if they only need 60 seconds to solve a problem.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 02:56 PM   #766
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

A couple final shots from the track after the race. To the other CPers that attended, I hope you had as much fun as I did (and froze less than me on Saturday)! CP meet up in 2023 lol.

Spoiler!
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2022, 07:06 PM   #767
STeeLy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sainz had a slow stop during the Safety Car... I almost wonder if he would have come out ahead of Verstappen if it had been a normal stop.

First Montreal GP I've been to in person, Friday was nice until leaving, Saturday was miserable, but Sunday, that was fun!
STeeLy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to STeeLy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2022, 10:36 AM   #768
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Canada results are in! Congrats to DFO for taking the top honours this with a solid 4/10 slotted and 6/10 Top 10 picks for a total of 22pts. Second place was me and TimSJ both with 3/10 and 6/10 for 18pts.

Woob was very prophetic with his lack of confidence... You still have a commanding 10pt lead over FurnaceFace for top spot, but he closed the gap by 5pts this weekend. DFO makes a big jump to push 3thirty for 3rd and closed that gap by 12pts.

Cecil I'm definitely down for a Montreal CalPuck get together in 2023! I'll bug my buddy at Alpha Tauri to make the trek over as well and see if he can pull some strings...maybe a prize for next years mid-season leader!

Spoiler!
FLAMESRULE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FLAMESRULE For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2022, 11:57 AM   #769
TimSJ
First Line Centre

Exp:

slowly climbing out of the basement of the standings, been a rough year for picks

TimSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 12:08 PM   #770
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESRULE View Post
Canada results are in! Congrats to DFO for taking the top honours this with a solid 4/10 slotted and 6/10 Top 10 picks for a total of 22pts. Second place was me and TimSJ both with 3/10 and 6/10 for 18pts.

Woob was very prophetic with his lack of confidence... You still have a commanding 10pt lead over FurnaceFace for top spot, but he closed the gap by 5pts this weekend. DFO makes a big jump to push 3thirty for 3rd and closed that gap by 12pts.

Cecil I'm definitely down for a Montreal CalPuck get together in 2023! I'll bug my buddy at Alpha Tauri to make the trek over as well and see if he can pull some strings...maybe a prize for next years mid-season leader!
Going to have to pick it up for Silverstone. I would also be down for a trip out to MTL for next year!
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 12:36 PM   #771
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

What's an honest budget for tickets and hotels in YUL?
Old 06-22-2022, 01:43 PM   #772
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by STeeLy View Post
Sainz had a slow stop during the Safety Car... I almost wonder if he would have come out ahead of Verstappen if it had been a normal stop.
I find it so strange that almost every team but RB has problems in the pits, and at all the wrong times. RB has had the odd incident but they must easily have the fastest average pit stop time, they rarely have a gun misfire. They have really done a good job identifying the need for quick stops and I'd be curious to know if they do more training or more equipment care. They seem faster than everyone else every year.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 06:04 PM   #773
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
What's an honest budget for tickets and hotels in YUL?
From YYC, $400-600 for flight, maybe more if you want a shorter time frame. I always do Wed-Mon so that I can do the open house on Thursday and then don’t have to rush on Sunday.

$400ish per person for tix, maybe more if you go secondary market. Mine are in grandstand 11. Obviously you could go full on paddock club and be well into the thousands per person. Or go a bit cheaper and only spend about $250 per for one of the cheaper grandstands.

Accommodations are the tricky one. We went for a place right near the main metro station so it was $600 (split 3 ways) a night and that was quite reasonable. Many are upwards of $1k a night. One year I stayed further in the suburbs in a private room and shared bathroom/kitchen with the condo owner for $39 a night. So yeah, accommodations can be all over the place.

All in I probably spent about $2500 this trip. $2k for tix/flight/Airbnb and another $500 for merch/food/Uber/metro etc. that’s very low for spending money though. We ate in our Airbnb multiple times, took the metro everywhere, I don’t drink or go to clubs, and bought very little merch. I also don’t spend a lot of money at the track, outside merch, because you can bring food. Even then, this was the least amount of merch I’ve ever bought because a) most of it is crazy low quality garbage (looking at you McLaren and Aston Martin) and b) the merch prices are out of control (and they’ve always been bad, but now they’re insane). And with the times being weird this year, I found I could eat an early lunch before I left for the track for the day and was home for supper.

We all agreed we’d like to do the Champions Club passes one year and sit at the wall of champions. That’s full on paddock club thru F1 Experiences and must be outrageously expensive. In the meantime, I’ll continue to budget travel solo most years. Now that F1 has exploded in popularity, I may be able to subsidize my own seat by selling my other two. Used to be I was happy to sell for just above cost.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 06-22-2022 at 06:09 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2022, 10:23 PM   #774
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sounds like we are similarly thrifty when it comes to these types of events. have some fun but don't get caught up and break the bank.

I feel so dumb cause for a few years a friend of mine was the track announcer and I could have had a easy trip out of it. He had met just about every driver you could name in the 90-2010 years before he retired.
Old 06-24-2022, 06:34 PM   #775
J epworth
Franchise Player

Exp:

My budget this year was very similar. Paid a little more for grandstand 12 (580 for my seats), flight was “free” using vouchers from Covid, but think it was like 750 for my Thursday to Monday flight, and stayed at McGill Residence for $190 per night shared with one other. Most of the money was spend going to Liverpool House and Lawrence for dinner, then just packed sandwiches for the track. Didn’t buy any mech, couldn’t believe how expensive that was, but beer and food at the track was actually pretty reasonable, definitely don’t need to pack your own food if you don’t want to.

Last edited by J epworth; 06-24-2022 at 06:40 PM.
J epworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 12:23 AM   #776
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ve been rewatching old F1 clips, everything from Senna/Schumacher to Hakinnen, Kimi, Alonso in his Renault days, and wondering why they look better and feel more exciting 15, 20, 30 years after the fact than a race that happened two weeks ago.

I think a large part of it comes down to where they’re putting the cameras and how long they hold on shots.

A duel between Schumacher and Senna at any given moment will have a shot that lasts 7-9 seconds. A modern race will be closer to 5-7 seconds per shot, and it’s zoomed all the way in. You have no sense of how much ground they’re covering, where they’re going, where they came from etc.

Comedy lives in the wide shot, and so does racing.
Old 06-28-2022, 01:37 AM   #777
STeeLy
Franchise Player

Exp:

My budget for F1 this year wasn't too bad. I have a buddy that lives in Laval within walking distance of the Metro, so I paid for his ticket and just stayed with him. Flights were Wednesday to Monday, roughly the $650 return range.

I got tickets in Grandstand 11, Section 3 in the upper rows at $480/seat (x2) for the entire weekend. Picked that Grandstand purely because it was likely the best value of any of the grandstands (at least in my opinion). It was between the higher sections of GS12 or the lower sections of GS11, and picked GS11.

$24.50 for the Metro ($10 for a day pass, then $14.50 for the weekend pass)

Brought in our own food and (non-alcoholic) drinks, ate out only a few times.

Didn't bother buying ANY merch (I am f-ing cheap, I can't EVER fathom forking out $80 for a team hat, $100 for a shirt, or $300 for a jacket)

All in all, for the entire trip, I think I paid just under $2k.

Last edited by STeeLy; 06-28-2022 at 01:39 AM.
STeeLy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to STeeLy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2022, 09:19 AM   #778
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nelson Piquet Sr is a POS

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...lton/10329527/
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2022, 11:18 AM   #779
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelVarnsen View Post

JFC.
GreenLantern2814 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 11:44 PM   #780
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Not to defend Piquet, he’s a racist piece of crap but did he did not say the n-word. That article is typical F1 sensationalist reporting.

The podcast was in Portuguese and he used a term to describe Lewis that would be described as belittling and racially charged but it could not be interpreted by anyone as the n word as that article claims. He also used every other driver’s name when talking about them but used the derogatory term to describe Lewis, further dehumanizing him.