Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2022, 11:50 AM   #4441
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
If they don't keep him the money will be spent elsewhere
If Johnny leaves, I don't think it will have anything to do with not being offered enough by Calgary.
It will be because he wants to live and play elsewhere.
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 11:50 AM   #4442
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Losing Johnny because you won't go to 11 because you're stuck at 9.5 would be idiocy of the highest order. Calgary is not doing any damage without Gaudreau. They need Gaudreau. Now is not the time for strong arm tactics haha
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 11:51 AM   #4443
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
If Johnny leaves, I don't think it will have anything to do with not being offered enough by Calgary.
It will be because he wants to live and play elsewhere.
People keep saying this but it's based on what exactly? Disagree. We don't really know but money will be a factor. Almost guaranteed it will.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 11:52 AM   #4444
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
We wouldn’t, but some owners might not want to spend the additional 14-16m in a 7/8 year span. I most certainly hope we aren’t lowballing our superstar winger.
Do we really think this is about money at this point, for either side? No one knows for sure, but I'm guessing the Flames are willing to pay, and Johnny knows he's getting paid regardless.

This is about WHERE Johnny wants to be. And it's likely a where conversation around where he'd like to play out the rest of his years (location) AND where does he think is most likely a winner can be built around / with him. Johnny's likely weighing Calgary out against other places he realistically thinks (or might know) will come to the table with a monetary offer that will be good enough. And if those are the factors left to decide for Johnny, makes sense he'll take as much time as is afforded to him to figure it out. Meaning, if we want a decision from him before the last minute, the Flames will have to impose their own internal deadline if we need to know sooner, because why wouldn't you take as much time as you can to make a huge life decision for yourself?
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 11:58 AM   #4445
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutuu View Post
It's actually July 13th. I made the same mistake when I said he's got a month, it's two weeks.
Oops, was thinking about last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Yep. Seravalli on 960 this morning saying the Flames made their pitch and the Gaudreau side has gone silent. He equated it to asking someone to marry you and when there is no answer, just a long pause, you already know the answer. Sounds like he's going to test free agency.
Weird analogy. If a negotiation goes: 'Proposal --> Proposal Accepted' then somebody screwed up big time.

Silence is a legitimate and potentially effective negotiating tactic
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2022, 12:00 PM   #4446
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Did you hear the interview? He's not stirring the pot as they went over a lot of other offseason trade rumours and at the end of the segment Boomer asked him about Gaudreau. His answer is exactly what he's heard through his channels so hardly stirring the pot. I think he was trying to be as nice as possible while saying he thinks Gaudreau is gone.
Come on. What channels? I wasn't being dick about it. He's saying something when there isn't much info, he gets clicks and gets on the radio. Tedious much?
Old 06-28-2022, 12:01 PM   #4447
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You were dismissive of Seravalli and I informed you he's the premier NHL insider. Overreact much?
Thank you your excellency.
Old 06-28-2022, 12:09 PM   #4448
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
Come on. What channels? I wasn't being dick about it. He's saying something when there isn't much info, he gets clicks and gets on the radio. Tedious much?
Quote:
Thank you your excellency.
Man some of you are not handling this situation well at all. There's nothing on my reply to you implying you were being a dick.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 12:22 PM   #4449
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well if in fact the Flames made their offer and Johnny’s side went radio silence that really sucks. Still hold out some hope he’ll re-sign but things don’t appear to be going that smoothly.
Zulu29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 12:26 PM   #4450
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
People keep saying this but it's based on what exactly? Disagree. We don't really know but money will be a factor. Almost guaranteed it will.
I'm just saying it as my opinion based on what the Flames have said and how I feel they value Johnny.
I don't see them coming up short on their offering to him, they know he's that important to the team.

If money is the only factor in his decision, I don't see a scenario in which he's leaving, so good.
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 12:29 PM   #4451
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu29 View Post
Well if in fact the Flames made their offer and Johnny’s side went radio silence that really sucks. Still hold out some hope he’ll re-sign but things don’t appear to be going that smoothly.
Don’t be too upset, the GM allowing his star player to go unsigned into a contract year and then having him have a career year on top of that could happen to anyone. Feels like it’s going to be one hefty price tag wherever he signs
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 12:29 PM   #4452
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think things may pick up come the draft. I wonder if the Flames decide to let Johnny talk to other teams before the window opens so they maintain the 8 year offer? Let him talk to NJ or Philly and see if there is a deal the Flames can make while still offering the 8 years.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 12:29 PM   #4453
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
Do we really think this is about money at this point, for either side? No one knows for sure, but I'm guessing the Flames are willing to pay, and Johnny knows he's getting paid regardless.

This is about WHERE Johnny wants to be. And it's likely a where conversation around where he'd like to play out the rest of his years (location) AND where does he think is most likely a winner can be built around / with him. Johnny's likely weighing Calgary out against other places he realistically thinks (or might know) will come to the table with a monetary offer that will be good enough. And if those are the factors left to decide for Johnny, makes sense he'll take as much time as is afforded to him to figure it out. Meaning, if we want a decision from him before the last minute, the Flames will have to impose their own internal deadline if we need to know sooner, because why wouldn't you take as much time as you can to make a huge life decision for yourself?
I was only responding to the supposed rumor. I don’t think money’s an issue. It’s more of what you said, where does Johnny want to play for the next 7/8 seasons of his career? He has a wife and a newborn coming. Those almost always take priority over anything else. It’s a huuuge life decision I don’t envy. Because no choice is wrong if he’s doing what’s best for his family.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 12:44 PM   #4454
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Major View Post
I think the AAV for the flames will be higher. Unfortunate, but I think the offers out east will be in the 10 range and the flames price will be 11-12. Plus the 8th year, it could be a pretty significant difference.
Weird assumption - I think it's plausible the AAVs are the nearly the same on 7vs.8 year offers, but unlikely 7 years will be less. It's a question of whether you're buying his age 36 year or not - I don't think teams will have any issue paying a slightly higher AAV for the 'not'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
Apparently Forsberg is asking for something in the low-8 mills?

https://twitter.com/user/status/1541809549539086336

Can't see the Preds letting him walk if that's the case.
I wonder how about NMC and bonus structure. NAS has never given any kind of NTC/NMC to anyone but Josi (and Weber via offer sheet). Duchene and Josi each got about 50% in SB. Actually Duchene has a 7team NTC for the last 3 years of his deal, too.

Quote:
Agents. Players. Executives. Coaches.

A quick search of my own contacts reminds me that I don't have any of those phone numbers or relationships.

Every piece of info they get involves some degree of spin and/or mutual back-scratching - good reporters will piece together a picture from multiple sources. As readers, we can paint our assemble our own puzzle knowing that any reporting is inherently flawed, but usually includes some kernels of truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Flames should offer more than they did. Thought it when it happened and still think it now if Seravalli is right. Johnny wants and deserves an AAV in the double digits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Losing Johnny because you won't go to 11 because you're stuck at 9.5 would be idiocy of the highest order. Calgary is not doing any damage without Gaudreau. They need Gaudreau. Now is not the time for strong arm tactics haha
None of us have any idea how these negotiations actually go. It's probably standard practice for each side to come in 10-15% less/more from where they expect to end up. I wouldn't be surprised if the rumoured 9.5AAV included max signing bonus and NMC...Flames are willing to go higher, but might try to ease back on those other items a bit in the process.

Another aspect is managing competing offers; if you set your anchor point high, then competing offers may rise with that tide. We actually have no idea what the competitive marketplace is at this point...most benchmark UFA deals we compare were pre-COVID; there are only two since then:

Hamilton - 7x9M - had just turned 28
Pietrangelo - 7x8.8M - was about to turn 31

I don't have a particular point - we just don't know where GMs/owners heads are really at, nor how true the rosy financial picture the league is promoting actually is.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2022, 01:14 PM   #4455
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I think things may pick up come the draft. I wonder if the Flames decide to let Johnny talk to other teams before the window opens so they maintain the 8 year offer? Let him talk to NJ or Philly and see if there is a deal the Flames can make while still offering the 8 years.
No chance.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2022, 01:33 PM   #4456
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post

Who cares, would people really lose this guy over 2M?
People seem to enjoy playing Flames in-house accountant.

For fun last night I watched a number of Johnny's goals (mostly from from last year) as well as goals he set up (mostly to Lindy).

Ya we are burnt toast if Johnny leaves. We go from contender to cellar dweller in an instant.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2022, 01:40 PM   #4457
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Don’t be too upset, the GM allowing his star player to go unsigned into a contract year and then having him have a career year on top of that could happen to anyone. Feels like it’s going to be one hefty price tag wherever he signs
It's a shame that Gaudreau has no agency in all of this and that Treliving forgot to sign him.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 01:48 PM   #4458
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Buyout window opens on July 1. One name that I've seen discussed is Sean Monahan, who has one year left at $6.375M (they'd get $4M in relief this year, with $2M added to next year). Obviously buying out Johnny's best friend on the team isn't a great way to get him to re-sign, but what if he subsequently agreed to a multi-year extension (kind of like Michael Stone)? Probably pretty risky for the Flames given Monahan's health, but it could also pay off if he regains some of his old form.

The only problem is that he'd have to go on waivers first; however, I can't see any team picking him up unless they think he'll be healthy to start the season.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 01:48 PM   #4459
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1541814151873531913
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoho For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2022, 01:56 PM   #4460
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Buyout window opens on July 1. One name that I've seen discussed is Sean Monahan, who has one year left at $6.375M (they'd get $4M in relief this year, with $2M added to next year). Obviously buying out Johnny's best friend on the team isn't a great way to get him to re-sign, but what if he subsequently agreed to a multi-year extension (kind of like Michael Stone)? Probably pretty risky for the Flames given Monahan's health, but it could also pay off if he regains some of his old form.

The only problem is that he'd have to go on waivers first; however, I can't see any team picking him up unless they think he'll be healthy to start the season.
Zero chance he'd get picked up on waivers, although we can dream.

Not sure you can place an injured player on waivers, I think he has to consent to it first.
The Cobra is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:

Tags
flames , stanley cup , win