Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-16-2022, 07:41 PM   #3441
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
If Gaudreau signs elsewhere and the Flames get nothing that is BT's fault.
If Gaudreau told Treliving there was zero chance he was going to sign here everytime they asked him for the last calender year and a half, and proved it further over the months before the trade deadline, by going off and selling his condo, moved his things out, then it's Treliving's fault.

Outside of that, no.

There was a lot of this hand wringing about him like this when Conroy convinced him to sign and forego BC, and for his last deal which went to the wire. The longer it goes on, the more people needlessly get worked up into a lather about the whole situation.

This is Gaudreau's personal and life decision. He will never spend the money he would get from the Flames or any other team from this deal. It's strictly where he wants to spend the next 7+ years of his life playing hockey and starting a family. Full stop.

Last edited by browna; 06-16-2022 at 07:45 PM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2022, 07:51 PM   #3442
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
It's really not, because it is not always realistic to move every player for assets. Treliving could have done it last summer, but only at a massive risk, and in direct conflict with the first priority of both him and Gaudreau to sign him to a long term extension. The right circumstance to move a player is if the GM is fairly certain he cannot or should not re-sign him, and that is not something that ever happened for Gaudreau in Calgary. The problem last summer was accurately determining his value, which is why they could not come to terms in time.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2022, 07:55 PM   #3443
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t know why but I could have sworn that used to say ‘NJ/Calgary’ instead of ‘NJ/Boston’ … anyone recollect?
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 08:08 PM   #3444
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

No, it's always said NJ/Boston on his Twitter, he never bothered to change it. Here's a 2013 link: https://web.archive.org/web/20131018...johngaudreau03

Players are more active on Instagram anyways and his Instagram profile says NJ/Calgary
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mile For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2022, 08:17 PM   #3445
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I love when we get to the “Scooby Doo” phase of anxiety where people end up searching for the most random clues to try to get a read on what players will do.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 08:21 PM   #3446
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I love when we get to the “Scooby Doo” phase of anxiety where people end up searching for the most random clues to try to get a read on what players will do.
Zoinks!
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2022, 08:37 PM   #3447
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post

I don’t know why but I could have sworn that used to say ‘NJ/Calgary’ instead of ‘NJ/Boston’ … anyone recollect?
Yeah you’re reaching right now
Old 06-16-2022, 09:03 PM   #3448
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol not meaning to ‘reach’ just genuinely remembered ‘NJ/Calgary’ and it being on instagram is where I remembered it. I generally don’t follow twitter as it’s a cesspool but admittedly am following the Johnny Gaudreau feed and noticed that so questioned it. I mean if your not nervous about the Gaudreau situation then you’re not a diehard imo and that’s fine, to each their own. I’m hopeful that he still signs but it becomes more nerve racking with each passing day, really want more Gaudreau moments dammit!
The Following User Says Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2022, 09:04 PM   #3449
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Zoinks!
Soooo hoping there isn’t a ‘ruhhh rohhhh’ moment with this thread lol!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2022, 09:19 PM   #3450
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
I mean if your not nervous about the Gaudreau situation then you’re not a diehard imo and that’s fine, to each their own.
You're projecting. There are lots of fans who love the Flames as much as you or anyone else, but have also come to realize that the whole thing is completely out of our control, life will go on, and we will all be just fine. One's level of panic is not a measure of their commitment.

Quote:
I’m hopeful that he still signs but it becomes more nerve racking with each passing day, really want more Gaudreau moments dammit!
You should relax, because nothing is going to happen until the SCF is over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2022, 09:25 PM   #3451
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post

Teams seem to be kind of active right now. Why couldn't a deal get announced any day?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 09:30 PM   #3452
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You were probably the most vocal opponent anytime the notion of trading Gaudreau was raised...maybe instead of pointing fingers you should be looking in to where you could source a big helping of gourmet crow...
powderjunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 09:37 PM   #3453
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You're projecting. There are lots of fans who love the Flames as much as you or anyone else, but have also come to realize that the whole thing is completely out of our control, life will go on, and we will all be just fine. One's level of panic is not a measure of their commitment.

Hey man all in all I get it’s just a game and that no matter how I feel on it what will happen will happen, that’s life… I just really hope Johnny stays that’s all, more over just can’t wait for the off-season to start and the Johnny decision to come because he’s been ‘leaving’ here for years according to many, I’m just shocked that it’s that time already when the decision actually happens, feels like it was yesterday he signed the 6 year extension. I think you’re right though and nothing will happen until after the SCF thinking more on it… so I shall stall my nervousness!
Old 06-16-2022, 09:42 PM   #3454
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Teams seem to be kind of active right now. Why couldn't a deal get announced any day?
There is the belief that teams like to wait for major news during the SCFs so that they can have more media focus on them, as well as to respect the teams in the finals to not take any spotlight off them.

I don't know how true it is, but it does seem like teams sometimes wait until after the finals to make big announcements. Could just be a coincidence.
Old 06-16-2022, 10:27 PM   #3455
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's the classy thing to do IMO. Give these two teams their time to shine.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 11:30 PM   #3456
Trojan97
First Line Centre

Exp:

I get the sentiment but I feel like the days of the league shutting down during the finals are over. If you can get the deal done during the finals you do it (I doubt it's been a holdup regardless).
Trojan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 11:37 PM   #3457
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

And the days of keeping things secret are gone too. Trades are being made, coaches getting hired. If Gaudreau comes to an agreement, we will hear about it.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 11:48 PM   #3458
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
And the days of keeping things secret are gone too. Trades are being made, coaches getting hired. If Gaudreau comes to an agreement, we will hear about it.
Knights decide to leak that Cassidy info likely to chagrin of league. Someone's agent leaked the Torts stuff but Flyers likely not to confirm until post finals.

Flames have always been tightlipped in whatever they do, it doesn't get to the Dreger's or Weekes until it is imminently occuring and then it's usually Friedman. Of course Flames have been tighlipped, outside of the dark days of the former GM who never met a microphone or inside source that he didn't like.

JGs agent has been in lockstep with the Flames this entire time, and there has been no negotiating in the press or back and forth over the years. Hacks like Francis try and stir the pot and blur the line between opinion, speculation and facts, but that's outside noise. I don't see either side starting to get loose lips now.

I think outside of a the club announcing a presser in 2h time, will anything start to leak that he's signed.

Last edited by browna; 06-16-2022 at 11:51 PM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 12:06 AM   #3459
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
The Flames are not heading into a rebuild this summer if they lose Gaudreau. Potentially next year once Sutter's deal expires, but there is no way the pull the trigger now. If Gaudreau moves on, the Flames will fill holes via UFA and trades, and see how the season turns out. If there is a rebuild on the horizon, the earliest it happens is TD 2023.

That is so utterly, depressingly accurate to read that I really hope Johnny re-signs, based on the fact that this is not an ownership group that will make the right decision.

We'll end up re-signing Tkachuk and everyone still on the team that needs a contract for really close to the cap, and then we're the 2021/22 Flames minus their superstar best player.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 12:10 AM   #3460
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I'd be more okay with Johnny moving on if I thought we'd re-coup some assets and go for a mini rebuild/retool. But this franchise just doesn't do that unless punched in the face with a team that can no longer compete (Iginla trade era).

We would 100% flail around with a bubble team. Signing mediocre, middling bull**** free agents that decide they'll sign here because we're willing to pay more for not being a desired landing spot.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:

Tags
flames , stanley cup , win