Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2020, 03:55 AM   #21
Jetfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yup that was painful. Watched it a couple days ago and have been thinking about it since. :P Well made video, but it definitely hurts.
Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 08:02 AM   #22
BigT112
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I refuse to ever watch Game 6 or any related materials therein. No reason to tear open and then pour salt into old wounds.
Old 06-12-2020, 09:27 AM   #23
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Although this memory is painful... but man, those few months in 2004 were some of the best in my entire life. I was 19 at the time, I had gone to my very first Flames game that year(I moved to Calgary at 13) - a tie vs. Nashville. The city was absolutely electric. Flags on every car. Every game had such weight, such excitement to it. The red mile was incredible - I was able to go to the series clinching win against San Jose... that was the best live sports event I have ever experienced... sorry for the stream of consciousness, but what a time that was.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VilleN For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2020, 09:42 AM   #24
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I got chills watching the part with Iggy's bucketless shift. Love it
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 09:44 AM   #25
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's ok, we'll get there again!
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 09:46 AM   #26
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwd View Post
The puck hopped and the angle is forcing perspective. No goal.
Ban!

looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 09:52 AM   #27
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

Someone remind me, but I was really upset about this because there did not appear to be any response from the NHL in Toronto to the goal, besides a brief moment. How long did the NHL actually spend analyzing if this was a goal? If my memory is correct, the NHL quickly brushed this off and the game continued.
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 10:30 AM   #28
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nage Waza View Post
Someone remind me, but I was really upset about this because there did not appear to be any response from the NHL in Toronto to the goal, besides a brief moment. How long did the NHL actually spend analyzing if this was a goal? If my memory is correct, the NHL quickly brushed this off and the game continued.
As I can recall, the play happened so quickly that no one even suspected it might have been a goal in the moment. You can see in the play-calls that neither the NBC nor the CBC crew thought anything different than that Khabibuklin made a great save; the players clearly didn't think it was a goal either. Speculation did not occur until the NBC crew went to see the replay, and I suspect it was around that point that the NHL also went back to look at their camera views.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 10:36 AM   #29
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
As I can recall, the play happened so quickly that no one even suspected it might have been a goal in the moment. You can see in the play-calls that neither the NBC nor the CBC crew thought anything different than that Khabibuklin made a great save; the players clearly didn't think it was a goal either. Speculation did not occur until the NBC crew went to see the replay, and I suspect it was around that point that the NHL also went back to look at their camera views.
I was at the game and sitting behind (and to the side) of the Tampa net (not right behind- in the upper deck)

dude next to me had a camera with him, and was for some reason shooting pics as the play got close to the net, I actually remember thinking to myself right away- did that go in? of course buddy and I tried to make sense of his Zapruder quality film footage, but no dice- we were miles away and obscured by Khabibulin

Nevertheless other than a few oooos in the audience nothing to note (this is of course well before widespread smart phones) so those of us in the rink were none the wiser about what ultimately was shown on TV...until the intermission, where I recall enjoying a nervous moment or two with Bingo et al in the concourse and the cell phones started ringing with friends from home saying 'you won't believe what they just showed..'
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to looooob For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2020, 10:48 AM   #30
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 11:53 AM   #31
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

nm
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 11:57 AM   #32
wookster
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Steve's Dang Its is a pretty good show. The one where he goes off on the leafs for losing to the Zamboni driver emergency backup goalie is pretty hilarious.

oh...and it was in!
wookster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 02:31 PM   #33
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hate you.

I needed to feel despair and hopelessness during a pandemic.

Yes....this is home.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 05:13 PM   #34
BigErnSalute_16
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

The thing that hurts my soul the most about this is that we were robbed of the very thing why sports are so important to many of us. That feeling of hope and destiny, that something bigger is going on regardless of your views on the afterlife or religion.

Thinking back on this now my mind immediately goes to Dee Gordon hitting a homerun in the first game after Jose Fernandez died in that boating accident. That was his only home run of the season... it was like it was meant to be.

These are the kinds of things you see so often in sports. Whether it is just a straight up coincidence or not, its why we love sports.

I can't help but feel that the Flames winning, on yet another goal by Martin Gelinas, was what was meant to happen that year. And it was stolen from us.

still hurts

Last edited by BigErnSalute_16; 06-12-2020 at 05:43 PM.
BigErnSalute_16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigErnSalute_16 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2020, 06:10 PM   #35
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigErnSalute_16 View Post
The thing that hurts my soul the most about this is that we were robbed of the very thing why sports are so important to many of us. That feeling of hope and destiny, that something bigger is going on regardless of your views on the afterlife or religion.

Thinking back on this now my mind immediately goes to Dee Gordon hitting a homerun in the first game after Jose Fernandez died in that boating accident. That was his only home run of the season... it was like it was meant to be.

These are the kinds of things you see so often in sports. Whether it is just a straight up coincidence or not, its why we love sports.

I can't help but feel that the Flames winning, on yet another goal by Martin Gelinas, was what was meant to happen that year. And it was stolen from us.

still hurts
Just like we were meant to be the first team to beat 4 division champs en route to a cup victory.

It was a team of destiny.

SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeanCharles For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2020, 06:21 PM   #36
Redrum
First Line Centre

Exp:

Shouldn't we be the ones desperately reaching? That little graphic was terrible, though not that it matters. It was nestled about as tightly as you can get to his pad, in which case it's a goal. If it was magically floating half a foot in the air like they say, there would've been nothing to stop it from going in, in which case it's a goal. I WISH it was where they're saying it was, because it would be undisputed. Sorry haters. No way to spin it.

EDIT: Now that I'm looking at it, parallax could only help it. The further up and left it goes, the more room it has to go in as long as it has forward momentum, which it does. So... it couldn't have NOT been a goal...

Last edited by Redrum; 06-12-2020 at 06:35 PM.
Redrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 01:51 AM   #37
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nobody in a million years will ever convince me that the Sam Bennett shot against the Ducks stayed out of the net. The 2004 one is close enough that it could go either way, but Bennett scored for sure.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2020, 04:34 AM   #38
jessnuts
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

View inconclusive
Parallax breaks all our hearts
We say, “it was in”

I meant no offence
When I stole a posters shtick
Credit to haiku
jessnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 07:20 AM   #39
BrennyBaller
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
Nobody in a million years will ever convince me that the Sam Bennett shot against the Ducks stayed out of the net. The 2004 one is close enough that it could go either way, but Bennett scored for sure.
The Flames made a video after that goal using the same camera and placing the puck in the same location then moving the other cameras and proved it was in and sent it to the league to pretty much be like “you need to figure this stuff out”. It was never released to the public though unfortunately. Was a cool video.
BrennyBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 09:03 AM   #40
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's a question someone may have figured 9ut at some point- is the frame we all look at from before the puck hits the pad, or after? That is, is the puck on its way in, or out, at that point?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2004 , gelinas , stanley cup