Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2022, 07:42 AM   #3781
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Waiting to cross memorial at 7th st with another cyclist. A third shows up on his townie with a latte(presumably) in the bottle holder. Well the light goes yellow, and townie bobbles off without a care in the world. Meanwhile, a Jeep decides a red light means keep going. The townie doesn't even seem to notice, not enough to take evasive action, and the Jeep finally hits the brakes hard. Then townie looks at him and does the "wtf" thing. WTF indeed. Other guy looks at me "thanks for giving us cyclists a bad name, eh?" Yup.

Townie is lucky he didn't become asphalt paint.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 10:35 AM   #3782
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

planning to take the day off tomorrow and will drive to banff and ride the spray loop and then goat creek tomorrow.

i really enjoy this ride as it is a chance to log some good smileage and not have to deal with any climbs that make a person question why they opt to do this sport.

Being on a bike means that i may have the easy option to stop at magpie and stump for some post ride tacos and not have to worry about looking for a parking spot in that area
Old 07-28-2022, 10:39 AM   #3783
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
planning to take the day off tomorrow and will drive to banff and ride the spray loop and then goat creek tomorrow.

i really enjoy this ride as it is a chance to log some good smileage and not have to deal with any climbs that make a person question why they opt to do this sport.

Being on a bike means that i may have the easy option to stop at magpie and stump for some post ride tacos and not have to worry about looking for a parking spot in that area
I really love Goat Creek to Banff, then back on the Legacy. The trick is to get a ride to the top, but if you can't, the slog up to the Spray isn't too bad if you do it early. Once there, the rest is just fun times.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2022, 04:18 PM   #3784
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

fuzz, i am doing a twist on this, as i will park at fenlands, ride one side of the spray loop to goat creek, then ride the goat creek trail to the parking lot, turn around and ride the whole thing back to banff, but cross over the river eventually and then come back by the golf course.

this way, most of the uphill work is on the way from banff to canmore. thre is one punchy uphill right at goat creek

i have very little desire to ride the legacy trail as who wants to be that clsoe to cars whizzing by at highway speeds. plus i will be riding my mtn bike which is not quite the right weapon for the legacy trail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I really love Goat Creek to Banff, then back on the Legacy. The trick is to get a ride to the top, but if you can't, the slog up to the Spray isn't too bad if you do it early. Once there, the rest is just fun times.
Old 07-28-2022, 04:25 PM   #3785
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't mind the legacy, particularly after a good ride. It's usually a tail wind to Canmore, so I pump the tires up a bit, lock the suspension, and the 29er eats up the miles pretty quick.

You definitely have some hills on the way to the goat creek parking lot!
Old 07-29-2022, 04:22 PM   #3786
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

As I set out to do today I rode from fenlands to the intersection of goat creek and high Rockies trail. It was bone dry and hot. Saw more bikers on goat creek than I expected to.

Final tally was 3hrs of moving time. 43.4km and 651m of up. Goat creek was fun coming back to Banff.

I stopped to rest, eat and hydrate and I put my gloves on my seat, and they blew off into a bit of a crevase and they were just beyond my reach. It seemed really odd riding with bare hands for 22km. Can’t recall the last time I did any real distance without gloves on. I also really liked those gloves.

I was thinking on the way back that I should have given my bike the once over the night before to ensure there were no loose bolts or anything. Fortunately I had no issues, but this would have been a crappy ride to have a mech issue
Old 07-29-2022, 04:24 PM   #3787
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

As I set out to do today I rode from fenlands to the intersection of goat creek and high Rockies trail. It was bone dry and hot. Saw more bikers on goat creek than I expected to.

Final tally was 3hrs of moving time. 43.4km and 651m of up. Goat creek was fun coming back to Banff.

I stopped to rest, eat and hydrate and I put my gloves on my seat, and they blew off into a bit of a crevase and they were just beyond my reach. It seemed really odd riding with bare hands for 22km. Can’t recall the last time I did any real distance without gloves on. I also really liked those gloves.

I was thinking on the way back that I should have given my bike the once over the night before to ensure there were no loose bolts or anything. Fortunately I had no issues, but this would have been a crappy ride to have a mech issue
Old 08-02-2022, 09:44 PM   #3788
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

I went to Idaho with a buddy this long weekend and we rode the Trail of the Coeur d'Alenes from Plummer to Wallace and then back the next day. It was my first day backpacking (though we stayed at a Hotel in Wallace) on a bike and it was an absolute blast. While we weren't setting off to make any PRs or any amazing time, it was nice to cruise on a paved trail with no car traffic and some pretty nice scenery, and Wallace is a great town if you like to have some fizzy pops after a ride. We would have went to Mullan a little past Wallace, but grinding the last KMs in 40 C was just a little much near the end. Hell, when we set off from Plummer it was 21 C at 7:12 AM in the morning.

Definitely a ride I'd like to go back and do in the fall when the weather is a bit less aggressive, and highly recommend it for those looking for a nice day out, though there aren't many climbs for those who like them (heh I do, my buddy not so much).

Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Deegee For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2022, 08:05 AM   #3789
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

what a great morning for a cycle commute
Old 08-03-2022, 08:30 AM   #3790
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I do enjoy the early morning humidity
Old 08-03-2022, 08:40 AM   #3791
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Absolutely perfect out there!
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 09:49 AM   #3792
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...nada-1.6538950

so many new riders out there these days. Including a LOT who see themselves as cyclists but really have zero clue about riding skill/etiquette on roads, paths, sidewalks, and trails. Scary how crappy some bikes are and how clueless so many are when it comes to things like wearing a helmet, direction of helmet, quick releases not tight or at some odd angle, too low/high seats, non or marginally functional brakes, low or too high tire pressures, etc…

In general I offer all friends and family a “once over” seasonally on their bikes. Sometimes I get their friends bikes too. It usually only takes me 5-10mins to fix/tune about 95% of the found issues but it’s well worth it. Plus I often get a beer or few ciders in exchange.

So my point here is to encourage y’all to do likewise and help keep these adults and kids safer through better working bikes and taking/making the opportunity to educate them too.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2022, 10:01 AM   #3793
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yesterday another cyclist, going the same direction as me, yelled at me because I stopped at a 4-way stop for traffic (i.e. followed the rules of the road). He said he didn't want to stop there and was upset he had to slam on the brakes .
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kybosh For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2022, 09:32 AM   #3794
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i was riding home yesterday SE along the bow. as i passed under the bridge for 17th ave i was forced to make an emergency stop as a fellow rider who was coming down from 17th decided that he needed to make a left turn in front of me. he should ahve yileded to me, as his path ended and he had to make a turn

hope he got his strava kom.......

my office is at 5th and 5th and i have to admit i really hate the commute home until i pass under the 17th ave bridge. dealing with traffic from my office and then going down either second or third to snake my way back to the bow river pathway, you then need to dodge all the pedestrians and other cyclists along the river until you get to inglewood.....then as you go further along the river, the path winds with obstructed views and inevitably you get a pair of cyclists coming around a blind corner riding side by side without a care in the world. part of my ride will improve once the pathway thru eau claire is open again as that will cut off a few painful blocks of navigating the downtown streets

of course all that being said, riding is still better than driving in my tin coffin.......
Old 08-04-2022, 11:19 AM   #3795
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
i was riding home yesterday SE along the bow. as i passed under the bridge for 17th ave i was forced to make an emergency stop as a fellow rider who was coming down from 17th decided that he needed to make a left turn in front of me. he should ahve yileded to me, as his path ended and he had to make a turn

hope he got his strava kom.......

my office is at 5th and 5th and i have to admit i really hate the commute home until i pass under the 17th ave bridge. dealing with traffic from my office and then going down either second or third to snake my way back to the bow river pathway, you then need to dodge all the pedestrians and other cyclists along the river until you get to inglewood.....then as you go further along the river, the path winds with obstructed views and inevitably you get a pair of cyclists coming around a blind corner riding side by side without a care in the world. part of my ride will improve once the pathway thru eau claire is open again as that will cut off a few painful blocks of navigating the downtown streets

of course all that being said, riding is still better than driving in my tin coffin.......
I rarely take the path east of Fort Calgary for that reason, just jump on 8th all the way to the end and then take 9th to the bird sanctuary, much more relaxing
Old 08-04-2022, 01:40 PM   #3796
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ I would do that; however, it then reduces my total commute to a rather wimpy 24 point something kms while staying on the pathway pushed me to a more manly 25 point something kms
Old 08-08-2022, 09:12 AM   #3797
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

A buddy of mine is selling is 2016 Pinarello Dogma F8. He babies this thing so it's in great condition and it's fast.

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/3407093/
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 12:44 PM   #3798
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ as I have noted in the past, I am not a road bike guy, but geez, that thing looks fast just sitting there. And it is listed at $5,750 in case anyone is wondering.

My wife and I did our annual ride to red’s in Ramsay for breakfast. Nice morning, it was killing me not to spin faster. It was hard to ride home after some French toast and chocolate milk.

In other bike related news, I watched a gm news video on wheelsets. Daddy was showing off his i9 hoops…….I think my mtn bike will get new hoops next spring.
Old 08-09-2022, 05:45 PM   #3799
Don Benji
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Are Cargo bikes allowed on the pathways? I passed one today on the Bow River Pathway and he's clipping around a corner kind of out of control. Half on the path, half hitting the weeds. I wish I had my go-pro on. His rig looked like a black coffin on wheels.
Don Benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 09:20 PM   #3800
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lately I am feeling like I see a lot more modes of transport on the pathway:

. Yesterday we came acros a guy on a motorized moped/scooter thing. It had a Alberta plate on it
. I keep seeing this guy on onE of those one wheeled motorized boards. Guy can really haul it. He wears a full face helmet and leather pants and a jacket
. I have seen a guy in one of those recumbents with the full on outer fairing and it looked like a bullet