Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2022, 11:09 PM   #1
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Series you gave up on

Originally I posted that I abandoned Six Feet Under in another thread, and after jayswin commented that they had experienced the same type of experience (not necessarily the same show) for some unprocessed reason I thought this might be a good thread.

Which TV series or franchise did you just give up on, and why? This is likely to be a spoiler type of thread, so please be considerate of any storyline or point in a series that might...well, spoil something for someone newly or currently invested in a series.

For me:

Six Feet Under: I don't why I stopped watching. I totally enjoyed every aspect of the series, but I just stopped watching around the late season 3, early season 4 mark. Don't remember. As I mentioned in the "I need a new TV series to get into" thread, I recently re-started the series as something to watch while working out, and it has one of the most outstanding pilots I have watched. It's also renowned for one of the best series finales.

The Walking Dead: The biggest complaint of this series even before I hit the 'eject' button was that it was locked into a perpetual indecision of where it wanted to go, so much that it repeated the same storylines. I gave up on the series [DON'T OPEN THIS IF YOU PLAN TO WATCH THE SERIES]...

Spoiler!

It just kept being a money sypher with no direction.

The Wire: I gave up and then tried again 4 times. Although I have received some 'fun' feedback from folks on this forum, and I've made my position quite clear, I'll again try the totally awesome and well received take that this is undoubtedly the most over rated and hyped show that has ever existed. The first season is the definition of a brilliant "slow burn" that smashed the finale and set-up a compelling series, then it #### all over itself in following seasons. It's a boring slog that has no place mentioned as the GOAT.

The Wire is a #### series.

---------------------------------------------------

So what series or show did you just give up on for whatever reason?

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2022, 11:14 PM   #2
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

the walking dead will be popular in this thread

twd
star trek discovery
picard
manifest
disenchantment
better caul saul (paper bag of shame)
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 11:22 PM   #3
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
the walking dead will be popular in this thread

twd
star trek discovery
picard

manifest
disenchantment
better caul saul (paper bag of shame)
Great mentions. I gave up on both ST series because they never had a convincing hook.

Disenchantment never had the catch of either Groening hits, but I gave it 2 season shot.

I'm very curious why Better Call Saul is on your list. I consider it a more refined Breaking Bad experience.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Old 10-17-2022, 11:26 PM   #4
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I was really enjoying The Man in the High Castle and then because of a busier life stopped watching it and that's always my downfall. I'll rarely go back to a series once I've taken a break from TV.

For All Mankind was the same scenario. Golf season came up, less time at home to veg, didn't go back to it.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 11:28 PM   #5
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I think many people have a level of fatigue for multi season TV shows that are so common now as we grew up on mostly 1.5-3 hour movies. It feels like my brain understands that a show is firing on all cylinders and just as good if not better than when I first started watching.

And yet my brain at a certain point just goes "okay, that's enough of those characters and that show, it's been 10 hours of it".
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2022, 11:30 PM   #6
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Mr Robot had an awesome first season, then started to show cracks and turned out to be more style than substance. I lost interest in the third season.
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Party Elephant For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2022, 11:33 PM   #7
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lost. Stopped in the middle of the 2nd last season when my old pvr died and never finished.
Old 10-17-2022, 11:36 PM   #8
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Walking Dead
Friends
Dexter

Somehow didn’t give up on Lost despite temptation to. Wish I had.
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 11:41 PM   #9
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Party Elephant View Post
Mr Robot had an awesome first season, then started to show cracks and turned out to be more style than substance. I lost interest in the third season.
I simultaneously agree and vehemently disagree with this take. Mr. Robot definitely became more stylized over the course of 4 seasons, but that just made me love it.

"Method Not Allowed" in season 4 was entirely concept and experiment, but brilliant at the same time.

I didn't notice the construct until well after I watched it. I just had a "wait a minute, I don't think they did X".

It makes sense that after about season 2 people had no interest in engaging in this series unless they were completely invested.

-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2022, 11:58 PM   #10
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Peeky Blinders (no interest in going back)
Better Call Saul (plan to go back to it but havn't yet)
Sopranos (want to watch but feels like a long effort)
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 12:11 AM   #11
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Walking Dead for sure. Now that it is done, I might actually go back and watch the last few seasons.

Probably an unpopular one but Breaking Bad. Just not a big fan of drugs based shows (though I did enjoy Narcos)

Sopranos- this one is good tv but it definitely is a slog. Plan to eventually finish it
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 12:51 AM   #12
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Walking Dead - Huge fan of the comics, and finished that. Season 2 here killed it for me

Dexter - I gave it a couple seasons to grow on me, and it never did.

Game of Thrones - Another series that I have all the books of, but couldn't finish the TV show. My wife made it to Season 5. I made it halfway through 6 before giving up on it.

The CW Arrowverse - I was big into this for a while, but eventually got eye-rollingly bored with them. I lasted the longest with Flash, making it through 7 seasons.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 01:11 AM   #13
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Mr Robot. It just didn't click with me, I made it through the first season but I think I bailed after episode one or two of the second.

Star Trek Discovery. Just don't get me started.

Walking Dead. I don't actually remember when I jumped ship but it was quite late - far later than it deserved. I can't remember what happened the last few seasons I was onboard, something about a tiger, people who wore faces on their face? I don't know. I actually thought it was over and done until the thread here came back to life with mention of a new season.

Fear The Walking Dead. No idea how far I made it it.

See. I kind of enjoyed the first season. I think? Season 2 just lost me from the start. I see season 3 is on now, I might try and pick it up again, but to be honest there has to be absolutely nothing else on.

Luke Cage. I only know I bailed on this one because I saw S2 was half watched up until Netflix removed it. I occasionally thought about going back to it, but now it's on Disney and as petty as it sounds I'm just pissed I lost my Daredevil avatar on Netflix, and I know that doesn't even make sense, but we're a complicated species, okay?

Doctor Who. I've loved Doctor Who since as long as I can remember, but something's happened to me I think. I just don't get it anymore. Could be that I'm getting old, or the show's getting stale, I dunno. I bailed about halfway through Capaldi's Doctor. Don't think I've even seen any of Whittaker.

The Umbrella Academy. It lost me mid-late season 2.

Black Mirror
Lost
The 100
True detective

I'm sure there are more.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 04:33 AM   #14
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

I think there's a difference between stopping during to life getting un the way, ir a routine change, and disinterest.

I find if I start a show binge watching, once I'm done going week to week is tough as it's never been part of my routine. (The Office - US is a great example... now I have gone back recently and watched the series but inky recently. It's not that it was bad, just that I caught up on the summer break and that was it).

Better Call Saul was set to auto record. Changed service providers and never programmed it to record due being out of season. Great show. Need to catch up.

In terms of shows that I said "I can't do this anymore"

Walking Dead. Started so good, then it just got bad.

Manifest. Great movie idea, but solving supernatural mysteries isn't my thing, nor was it the pilot's.

Not sure if I fell off the Blacklist or just stopped watching due to life being in the way. But I don't have a desire to go back.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 06:49 AM   #15
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Walking Dead by far was the series I walked away from with despite having invested a lot of years and hours. I know Better Call Saul is a good show but once the pandemic hit I just stopped watching it and never did get the inclination to get back into it. That's probably the only other show I stopped watching to the end after investing years.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 06:57 AM   #16
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Ozark - relentlessly dark
Yellowstone - no likable characters
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 06:57 AM   #17
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
I'm very curious why Better Call Saul is on your list. I consider it a more refined Breaking Bad experience.
I can't put my finger on why I stopped watching. I like the characters but it's very plodding and some episodes to me felt like a bit of a chore to watch. I really wanted to like it but I feel there's a little too much filler for a story that didn't warrant being spread over 6 seasons as it contributed to Breaking Bad burnout for me.
Old 10-18-2022, 06:59 AM   #18
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Ozark - relentlessly dark
Yellowstone - no likable characters
My wife is the only reason I still watch Yellowstone. Last season was pretty bad and it's tough to stick with a show when the characters are all so unlikeable.
Old 10-18-2022, 07:07 AM   #19
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gave up on at various stages
Walking Dead
The Wire
Westworld
Yellowstone
The Handmaids Tale
Succession
Ozark

Probably will not watch season 2
Yellowjackets

And can not agree more with OP regarding the wire.

Last edited by EldrickOnIce; 10-18-2022 at 08:19 AM.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 07:09 AM   #20
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

TWD after about 5-6 seasons I think.
Avenue 5 - I really wanted to like it and slogged through about 5 episodes, but I just couldn't and am shocked to see another season.
Westworld, but I may try to get back into it.
Shameless

Series I hate watched until the end :
Lost

Lots of Showtime series fit into this. All would have been great for 2-3 seasons, but Showtime insists on milking every hit long past their expiry date.
Weeds
Dexter (At least the revival was good)
Californication
Billions - I am not sure I can stomach another season, but we'll see.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote