Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2013, 05:31 PM   #1
XxBIGDOGxX1817
Farm Team Player

Exp:
Default The Canadian Invasion: August. 5-7, 2013, Blue Jays @ Mariners

Anybody else heading down to Seattle for the Blue Jays Series Early August. Hoping to get some dialogue going. Places to see, pubs to visit but. Anybody have any recommendations of where to sit at Safeco? Going down with large group, hoping to organize some things in advance. Thanks for your help.
XxBIGDOGxX1817 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XxBIGDOGxX1817 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2013, 05:33 PM   #2
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Blue Jays suck. Go Mariners.

OK, I will add something sort of constructive. Safeco is a beautiful park and Seattle is a beautiful city. If not for the traffic in the area, I could live there.

I think there have been a few threads on visiting Seattle, so might want to search for those. The Boeing plant is always high on the list.

Last edited by worth; 05-27-2013 at 05:35 PM.
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to worth For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2013, 05:42 PM   #3
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wrong forum. Move this please mods.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:52 PM   #4
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

The gf and I will be at all three games. We already have our tickets. We'll be on the lookout for your group!
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cowboy89 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2013, 07:19 PM   #5
rd_aaron
Scoring Winger

Exp:

We went to a couple Blue Jays/Mariners games last July. Blew me away how many Blue Jays fans there were.

I will second that Safeco is awesome. We got a couple tickets 18 rows straight up from home plate for $40 each on StubHub for one game so that's where I recommend sitting, haha. I think it was pretty lucky. Check StubHub anyways, as there should be lots of good seats available.

Serious Pie downtown Seattle was my favorite place to eat in Seattle. One of the best tasting pizzas I've ever had. Happy Hour is also a big deal in Seattle. I think we paid $5 + tip for two beers at the Hard Rock Café one afternoon. Boeing plant is a pretty cool trip.
rd_aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rd_aaron For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2013, 07:43 PM   #6
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Jays series is always a blast, we go down most years, usually the Jays fans are louder than the M's fans.

We always do super touristy stuff in Seattle, go to the zoo, aquarium or the experience music museum etc and go shopping at the outlet malls. If you've got some extra time on your hands, after or before the series, the coolest thing we've ever done on a Pacific Northwest road trip is go to Oregon, out to the coast and then into Portland where there are crazy amounts of breweries and beer tasting places. Takes a couple extra days but totally worth it.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matty81 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2013, 10:10 PM   #7
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll be there for the August 5th game, and then to FX McRory's after!
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2013, 10:13 PM   #8
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

Stay at Cedarbrook Lodge, thank me after eating copious amounts of their free Haagen Dazs, pretzels and malt balls
The Following User Says Thank You to MRCboicgy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2013, 12:13 AM   #9
XxBIGDOGxX1817
Farm Team Player

Exp:

rubecube what's FX McRory's all about?
Old 05-28-2013, 12:22 AM   #10
XxBIGDOGxX1817
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Appreciate the feedback guys! Heard something about bar at stadium that opens couple hours before game time. supposedly fairly priced wobbly pops?! anybody heard anything about this...

We were thinking one game in a Box or "Diamond Club" one game 3rd base line/ 1st base line? and one game in the Joey Bats Landing Pad (outfield)... First baseball game in seattle so a little unsure where to sit...

none the less the group is at 20 we'll be hard to miss.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:28 AM   #11
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Could be the Pyramid Brewery right beside the park.
Was down there for a game about 2 weeks ago and we pre-drank there for about 3-4 hours prior to first pitch.
It's directly across the street from the stadium by the team store side.

There's also a number of other places closer to the football stadium which is just up from Safeco.
Plenty of options for pre drinks before the game, I would recommend the pyramid one we went to. Good beer!
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2013, 04:42 AM   #12
Where ru Chris O'Sullivan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxBIGDOGxX1817 View Post
We were thinking one game in a Box or "Diamond Club" one game 3rd base line/ 1st base line? and one game in the Joey Bats Landing Pad (outfield)... First baseball game in seattle so a little unsure where to sit...

none the less the group is at 20 we'll be hard to miss.
Learn from my lesson, I did similar seat options in the mid-90's at the beautiful Kingdome, the game I chose to go outfield was the game Randy Johnson was pitching, and threw a 16K gem!

Get good seats each game and if one becomes a yawn-fest, take a walk to the outfield seating area.
Where ru Chris O'Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Where ru Chris O'Sullivan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2013, 04:03 PM   #13
seattleflamer
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Anybody else heading down to Seattle for the Blue Jays Series Early August. Hoping to get some dialogue going. Places to see, pubs to visit but. Anybody have any recommendations of where to sit at Safeco? Going down with large group, hoping to organize some things in advance. Thanks for your help.
If you can swing it financially and get beyond the sticker shock, I'd get diamond club seats behind home plate. All you can eat 5 star buffet, all you can drink, VIP parking, personalized service at your seats or in the resto for about $300/person. It is an amazing first class experience.

Considering what you pay for regular tix and the food prices at Safeco, the lines and your time and energy, it is actually good value. You can start eating/boozing a couple hrs before the game starts. It is a lot cheaper and a more pampered experience than the equivalent at the Seahawks/Sounders games in my view.

The bro-in-law and I have gone periodically over the years when the BJs and his family is in town. The bonus is you can phone family back in Canada and have them turn on Sportsnet to see you wave to get your inner attention seeker sated.

As for uniquely local, I always tell people to try out Dicks which is like a Peters with the milkshakes and burgers at a fraction of the price and the quality has kept up. The closest one to Safeco is probably on Capitol Hill.

In the summer, the duck ride is fun and you learn a lot of Seattle's history. It is on a WWII era Higgins boat which is amphibious so in the summer, you get to boat in Lake Union as an added bonus.

I haven't seen this in Vancouver (or Calgary for that matter), but in the International District (Chinatown) which is just north east of Safeco, Honey Court Resto has its famous honey walnut prawns which is hong kong style prawns and addictive as heck.

Have fun in Seattle!
seattleflamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to seattleflamer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2013, 04:10 PM   #14
evman150
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'll be there for at least one game.

The diamond club sounds sick...but 300 bucks is pretty spensy. Very tempting though. Especially as a person who gets their money's worth on all-you-can-drink events.
"For thousands of years humans were oppressed - as some of us still are - by the notion that the universe is a marionette whose strings are pulled by a god or gods, unseen and inscrutable." - Carl Sagan
Freedom consonant with responsibility.

evman150 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to evman150 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2013, 05:54 PM   #15
The Goon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I just convinced the wife today that we should go down that week so I can take my 2 1/2 year old son to his first baseball game. We're probably only going to the Wed 12:40pm game and will try to find other things to do in Seattle, as we're staying for four days and have never been there before.
We may curse our bad luck that it's sounds like its; who's sounds like whose; they're sounds like their (and there); and you're sounds like your. But if we are grown-ups who have been through full-time education, we have no excuse for muddling them up.
The Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Goon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2013, 06:07 PM   #16
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

When in Seattle, I like hitting up the Woodland Park Zoo, then grab lunch close by at http://www.lacartadeoaxaca.com/
Incredible food
The Following User Says Thank You to MRCboicgy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2013, 06:30 PM   #17
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
rubecube what's FX McRory's all about?
In a word? Whiskey.

Spoiler!
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2013, 06:35 PM   #18
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

That is amazing. Sorry Grandma, I know the money you left for me was supposed to go education, but I found a better way to spend the money.
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2013, 06:41 PM   #19
Flames in 07
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
In a word? Whiskey.

Spoiler!
Go there before a hawks game!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcNYAlLI-KQ
Flames in 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames in 07 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2013, 09:57 AM   #20
The Goon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Anyone driving or has driven to Seattle? Thoughts on a good route?

We're debating making this a road trip, but we'll have to split the trip in two. I don't think the kid (or the wife) will tolerate sitting in the car for 12+ hours.
We may curse our bad luck that it's sounds like its; who's sounds like whose; they're sounds like their (and there); and you're sounds like your. But if we are grown-ups who have been through full-time education, we have no excuse for muddling them up.
The Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Goon For This Useful Post:

Tags
calgary , jays , mariners , seattle , toronto