Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2022, 12:26 PM   #5581
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

I pulled my oblique at the range last week (at least I think it's the oblique).

I do not wish this injury on anyone. Absolutely brutal and possibly the end of golf season for me.
AFireInside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 12:33 PM   #5582
pria(kin)16
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Played TPC Toronto (Osprey Valley) Hoot Course this weekend. Very fun and challenging course, varying hole setups and ways to attack the course. Highly recommend if you are ever in the GTA.
pria(kin)16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 12:33 PM   #5583
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Is there anywhere on the west side of the city with a practice facility with a bunker that's open to public? Only places in town I can see are Golfuture and Beddington Golf Park and they're... not close to me.
Not sure if Bearspaw has a bunker, but the range is open to the public apparently.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 01:07 PM   #5584
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Played Blue Devil this morning. Chipped in from 58 yards on 3 for a birdie and sunk a 30 foot putt for Eagle on 17. Otherwise mostly bogey golf with an 8 mixed in there. 42-44-86

Swing felt good and it was such a nice day.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2022, 09:15 AM   #5585
pria(kin)16
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Does anybody regularly use a 3 Iron or Hybrid Driving Iron? I barely use my woods and strike it pretty clean with my 5 Iron. I'm a lefty so I know options can be limited but any recommendations for a long iron are appreciated!
pria(kin)16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 09:43 AM   #5586
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a Titleist TMB 3 iron I could be tempted to part with.
Old 08-10-2022, 10:05 AM   #5587
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pria(kin)16 View Post
Does anybody regularly use a 3 Iron or Hybrid Driving Iron? I barely use my woods and strike it pretty clean with my 5 Iron. I'm a lefty so I know options can be limited but any recommendations for a long iron are appreciated!
I just bought the Taylormade Sim DHY 3.
Haven't used it enough to offer my review yet but I'll get back after I hit the range at least.

I had a gap between my 3wood and 4hybrid, so was looking for something with distance and more forgiveness off the tees if my woods are misfiring.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 11:10 AM   #5588
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pria(kin)16 View Post
I have a (lefty) PXG driving iron (similar to a 2 or 3 iron) and I really like it.

You can buy them separately, and get them fitted with any shaft you want.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 07:19 AM   #5589
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Played Delacour yesterday. Wild up-and-down ride with an eagle, 3 birdies, 3 pars, 9 bogeys and 2 doubles for an 80.

Best round in about 5 years. Felt pretty good to not lose a ball all day! I actually threw a ball away because it was scuffed up from 27 holes or so of play.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2022, 08:50 AM   #5590
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Played Sirocco yesterday and boy was I bad. Good thing it was a scramble. My wife on the other hand, who started golf 2 years ago, tied for longest drive, got longest putt with a hockey stick, and her team won the tournament.

Last edited by bossy22; 08-16-2022 at 08:50 AM. Reason: spelling
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 09:09 AM   #5591
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

This course review is not very sexy compared to Cabot Cliffs, Osprey Valley etc. but despite hearing terrible things I played Wingfield (formerly Silverwing) the other day. Someone who played last year told me it was in the worst shape of any course he'd ever played, so my expectations were very low but I was playing with a beginner golfer last week and thought it might be worth a try as the prices are extremely reasonable.

The greens are in really good shape. The management has done an incredible job at bringing the greens back from the dead as the course was abandoned for two years. If you look at photos of the course on Google the difference in the greens is night and day between this season and last.

Fairways are a different story - the focus was rightly on recovering the greens, so the fairways are pretty rough. Lots of weeds and dead areas, but still enough decent grass to be playable. You can see that the course is now focusing on repairing several of the fairways but it's a huge job. Having said that, they are pretty similar to the condition of the fairways when Silverwing was open but at a cheaper price point.

All in all, it's not a bad place for a casual round.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 09:41 AM   #5592
Gravitykillr
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
This course review is not very sexy compared to Cabot Cliffs, Osprey Valley etc. but despite hearing terrible things I played Wingfield (formerly Silverwing) the other day. Someone who played last year told me it was in the worst shape of any course he'd ever played, so my expectations were very low but I was playing with a beginner golfer last week and thought it might be worth a try as the prices are extremely reasonable.

The greens are in really good shape. The management has done an incredible job at bringing the greens back from the dead as the course was abandoned for two years. If you look at photos of the course on Google the difference in the greens is night and day between this season and last.

Fairways are a different story - the focus was rightly on recovering the greens, so the fairways are pretty rough. Lots of weeds and dead areas, but still enough decent grass to be playable. You can see that the course is now focusing on repairing several of the fairways but it's a huge job. Having said that, they are pretty similar to the condition of the fairways when Silverwing was open but at a cheaper price point.

All in all, it's not a bad place for a casual round.
I work close to the course and the work they've put in has been really well done. The one green with the pond along the road was half underwater for a few months and they've done a goos job to bring it back. More work needed and peobably quite a few years before it's reputation improves but the new owners are putting in the timeand effort so far.
Gravitykillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 09:57 AM   #5593
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Good to hear about Wingfield, I played there last year and it was brutal so I’ll give it another shot next season for sure.

Playing Silvertip on Friday, can’t wait.
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 10:01 AM   #5594
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CofR View Post
Good to hear about Wingfield, I played there last year and it was brutal so I’ll give it another shot next season for sure.

Playing Silvertip on Friday, can’t wait.
I’d save your money this year. It’s under construction and in questionable shape. I played earlier this year for only $80 and it was still “meh” on value.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 10:27 AM   #5595
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I’d save your money this year. It’s under construction and in questionable shape. I played earlier this year for only $80 and it was still “meh” on value.
Yikes, that’s unfortunate to hear. Normally play it once a year and it has always been in good enough shape to justify the cost. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 08-16-2022, 10:30 AM   #5596
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure when they will be done but 3 holes were converted to par 3’s. Some fairways were in rough shape. Last i heard they still had a ways to go.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 10:12 PM   #5597
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well a few weeks after breaking my 3 wood in frustration, I have dipped my toes back into golf and today I felt I had a solid round at blue devil today. Played the blue/white combo and I did not keep score. Only lost one ball, and my low point was a errant shot into a bunker that took me 4 shots to get out of.

Felt the biggest thing I did to help my game was using my 8 iron to get me out of trouble on some side hill lies rather than taking a 5 wood or hybrid and trying to muster a shot from and awkward stance.
Old 08-20-2022, 09:02 AM   #5598
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

But if you’re breaking and throwing clubs playing golf that’s unhinged and you probably shouldn’t even be on a golf course and be wasting your money. I’ve witnessed it a couple times and that’s sad and even scary behaviour.

Golf is about keeping your composure, staying calm and dealing with adversity that way.
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 10:47 AM   #5599
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
You weren’t wrong. The course was in the worst condition I’ve seen it in, not necessarily bad condition but it wasn’t what it usually is. Only the fifth hole under construction still and only got a $10 food and beverage credit for it.

I played pretty well and still had fun, but it definitely wasn’t worth the price this year.
Old 08-20-2022, 04:59 PM   #5600
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

So to be clear, I discretely broke my club across the bottom of my bag. I did not get into a full club throwing meltdown. Or go an an expletive laced tirade.

To be honest, breaking my club felt satisfying at the time. However, in the end it is not something I do on a regular basis, and it was a one off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post
But if you’re breaking and throwing clubs playing golf that’s unhinged and you probably shouldn’t even be on a golf course and be wasting your money. I’ve witnessed it a couple times and that’s sad and even scary behaviour.

Golf is about keeping your composure, staying calm and dealing with adversity that way.

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow