Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-03-2022, 11:43 AM   #3661
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
Can anyone here recommend a DIY scratch remover, or at least make it less noticeable? Someone, possibly my kid, ran something along the side of my truck; it is not too deep, and I think only in the clear coat.
If it catches your finger nail, you won't get it out. But any polish will work fine, honestly everyone should have at least something in their garage. Spend 25 bucks on a bottle of meguiars 205 or something, it'll last you a lifetime.
Old 08-08-2022, 12:34 PM   #3662
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

What OBDII reader do you use? I was going to get one from KMS tools that is on sale for $30, but if there is something better under $100 I would get that. Is there anything that works with an iphone?
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 12:46 PM   #3663
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I use a ThinkDiag, $99 USD and worth every penny. It does damn near everything on my AM that a factory-authorized dealer computer does (and the stuff it doesn't is probably not something a DIYer should be doing anyway), and the support for makes/models is pretty comprehensive.

https://thinkcarus.com/collections/d...e-tooth-dongle

Works on iPhone/iPad and Android phones. If you want to run it on an Android tablet, you'll want to use Aurora Store and spoof your device to show up as a phone. They block installation on Android tablets presumably to try and sell their own Android-based tablet diagnostic tools.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2022, 07:35 PM   #3664
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Did my best to smoke out the clown show on 9th (particularly because that giant Russian flag being waved around), without disturbing the fine folks just living their lives. Felt good man.
Old 08-11-2022, 07:48 PM   #3665
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
What OBDII reader do you use? I was going to get one from KMS tools that is on sale for $30, but if there is something better under $100 I would get that. Is there anything that works with an iphone?
The 30 dollar thing is only good for clearing codes and that's if you're lucky to get one that actually does it.
Old 08-12-2022, 07:00 AM   #3666
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.theautopian.com/ford-ups...ritage-models/

I like it. Colours=good.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2022, 09:03 AM   #3667
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
For a moment, I wasn't sure if I was looking at a FJ cruiser or a new Bronco. I don't mind the look TBH.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2022, 09:30 AM   #3668
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It gonna lie, I love that red look. But I can’t get past high dollar, faux vintage. So cool and yet so inauthentic it’s lame.
Old 08-12-2022, 11:14 AM   #3669
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Rather than being special edition options, make the paint colours regular production options, Ford! Bring back bright colours! If there's one thing about current cars that I despise it's the soporific paint palettes manufacturers use. Black, white, silver, two or three shades of grey, and maybe a grey-blue or a red: that's the available selection for pretty much every new car these days.

Last edited by timun; 08-12-2022 at 11:19 AM.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 11:15 AM   #3670
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

And then when a colour finally came back, it was fataing brown and that ####ty burnt orange. Like wtf.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2022, 12:42 PM   #3671
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

I have a small motorhome parked in the back driveway. Had a weekend gateaway planned. Go to start it, huge noise. Catalytic converter gone

And it must have been a small guy. It's pretty low, i can barely get under there.

So next steps? see if it can be replaced? file a police report?

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 12:47 PM   #3672
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's the collective opinion on filling in windshield rock chips to prevent them from expanding into full fledged cracks? Debating if I'm best off doing this or just saving the money for a future full replacement.

And by this I mean something done at an actual glass shop, not by the dude in a big box parking lot sitting under an awning.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 01:17 PM   #3673
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
I have a small motorhome parked in the back driveway. Had a weekend gateaway planned. Go to start it, huge noise. Catalytic converter gone

And it must have been a small guy. It's pretty low, i can barely get under there.

I would always file a report, it probably won't get your cat back but at least if you have to deal with insurance it's official.

Can you get away with something like this just to get through the weekend? check engine light will come on but you won't hurt anything.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/n...-0122519p.html
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 01:20 PM   #3674
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
What's the collective opinion on filling in windshield rock chips to prevent them from expanding into full fledged cracks? Debating if I'm best off doing this or just saving the money for a future full replacement.

And by this I mean something done at an actual glass shop, not by the dude in a big box parking lot sitting under an awning.
I fill them asap to save from a big crack and to buy time. The legal allowed damage to a windshield is more what I'm worried about, and if they go on a blitz and you have a crack in line of sight you're buggered.

Most of those parking lot guys are doing the same thing as a glass shop with the same equipment. I had a friend doing it, he would make house calls, and he had all the newest stuff, it's not rocket science.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2022, 02:01 PM   #3675
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Definitely worth fixing. I buy kits off of Amazon, and always have one on hand. Pretty easy to do, and none have failed on me. But also cheap to get done elsewhere.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2022, 02:12 PM   #3676
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It's worth getting done. DIY with clear nail polish or crazy glue is passable and still better than doing nothing.
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2022, 02:22 PM   #3677
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Definitely worth fixing. I buy kits off of Amazon, and always have one on hand. Pretty easy to do, and none have failed on me. But also cheap to get done elsewhere.
I asked a parking lot guy last week and it was $90…. I drove away.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2022, 02:46 PM   #3678
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
I asked a parking lot guy last week and it was $90…. I drove away.
Depends how you view it. Some of the prices are mind blowing with the sensor and heating elements in them. $90 is well worth it to extend a year or two if your windshield is being replaced at $1200 every 4-5 years.

A repair kit is $20-30. $90 is stupid if you want to DIY for less than half.

If you don't know how to do it, I recommend clear nail polish. $5-15 if you don't have someone who can spot you an old opened one for cheap. If you really mess up, it's easy to use nail polish remover for a mulligan. Other options are not as easily redone via crazy glue or clear resins for an newbie DIYer.

You're honestly just filling the hole with something that will dry clear/flat and fill in the gap from the chip after cleaning it/removing loose pieces.
Old 08-12-2022, 03:18 PM   #3679
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post

What year/model?

If there are no sensors connected behind where the cat was, just get a piece of exhaust pipe from anywhere, couple clamps and enjoy your vacation.
Old 08-12-2022, 03:22 PM   #3680
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
What year/model?

If there are no sensors connected behind where the cat was, just get a piece of exhaust pipe from anywhere, couple clamps and enjoy your vacation.
Nope there are sensors so it's sitting in the shop now waiting for a $3,500 part to arrive on Monday.

Weekend getaway will have to wait.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote