Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2021, 02:52 PM   #21
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Over the last few days, China has sent 150 planes into Taiwanese airspace.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-58794094

Its still dicey for China to even think of reclaiming Taiwan through Military Forces. It would bring the American's in.

A few years ago it would have been a non starter as China's Navy was considered to be more coastal and a weaker sister to the People's Liberation Army and Airforce. They also lacked the amphibious capability to mount any kind of invasion.

However China has worked hard on a major naval rebuild.

In terms of the breakdown, the Chinese have

Ballistic Missile Submarines

6 type 94 - Commissioned in 2007, 1 older type 92 Xia class

Attack Submarines
Nuclear 3 old Han Class, 6 Type 93 class 4 of which are the modernized Type 93 A

Conventional - 4 modern Yuan Class 12 Song 12 older Kilo Class
4 ancient Ming Class

2 Aircraft Carriers - 1kuznetsov Class - More of a test bed with a lot of issues. but can still mount an airwing of 33 fixed wing and 12 helicopters. 1 type 2 commissioned last year carries 33 J-15 and 12 helicopters.

Amphibious Assault ships various classes 41

Destroyers modern various classes 37

46 Frigates - Most of whom were commissioned in the last 10 years

38 Corvettes type 56 and 56 A fairly modern

16 fleet replenishment models.

300 Fighters and fighter bombers. This includes 24 H-6 strategic bombers that can carry out a anti-ship anti-carrier role. This number doesn't include the J-20 Stealth fighter which is active with numbers between 50 and 150.

We can talk about the American Navy, but realistically in the China Sea under the protection of Chinese long range anti-ship missiles, the Forces correlation would favor the Chinese.

I doubt that China is actively going to attack Taiwan, or bombard it. But their next move would be to cut off the South China Seas. But their real interest is still the resource rich Spratly Islands. Which is why the Chinese are building carrier aviation and new generation subs so quickly while increasing the active range of their shore batteries and bulking up their airforce. China is building a power projecting navy.
I read they have also been designing their commercial shipping to double as amphibious delivery platforms.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 03:45 PM   #22
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

That would be suicidal. Unless they're going to outfit them with point defense and armor. Even as a second or third wave re-enforcement transport, they're too prime of a target. If you can sink one and kill lets say a division of troops or a armored regiment, or a squadron of ground attack planes. you do everything you do to kill it.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 06:15 PM   #23
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
That would be suicidal. Unless they're going to outfit them with point defense and armor. Even as a second or third wave re-enforcement transport, they're too prime of a target. If you can sink one and kill lets say a division of troops or a armored regiment, or a squadron of ground attack planes. you do everything you do to kill it.
I assume they meant for force build-up once a beachhead was established - they were speculating 1M troops required to subdue the island. It's such a small geographic space though that they'd never be out of range of many weapons so I agree with you - suicidal.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 06:33 PM   #24
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

And I agree with both of you.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 09:19 PM   #25
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

China's flexing; the USA is flexing; the UK is flexing; Taiwan is flexing; Malaysia is flexing; Japan is flexing. Everyone (except Canada) is flexing. The media, of course, likes to single out and pile on China by using incorrect headlines such as China Invades Taiwan's Airspace or something similar. Only after opening the articles do you read that, no, the Chinese merely entered the ADIZ. Lo-and-behold, one third of the Taiwanese ADIZ is over mainland China.

But what the media doesn't tell you is that two US carrier groups (Reagan and Vinson), a UK carrier group (QE), a Japanese carrier group (JS Ise), and several other ships from other countries patrolled the waters around Taiwan over the weekend. Combine that flotilla with B-52s at Guam and who knows how many submarines and you have a catalyst that possibly suggests that the Chinese actions over the weekend were "shots across the bow" to those naval units and not provocation against Taiwan.

My god, though, the media makes it sound like China landed on Taiwan and had a bbq before leaving. The ROC's own MoND released pictures that showed the Chinese planes at about 150 miles from Taiwan.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Baron von Kriterium For This Useful Post: