Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-27-2021, 05:50 PM   #1
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Christmas Hampers for Families in Need - Your Experiences

Hello,

I'm wondering if you have had any experiences with organizations out there that take Christmas Hampers for families. It is an easy process? How does it work? Are they trustworthy?

Any information will help. Thanks!
Jiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 06:14 PM   #2
Sled
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy View Post
Hello,

I'm wondering if you have had any experiences with organizations out there that take Christmas Hampers for families. It is an easy process? How does it work? Are they trustworthy?

Any information will help. Thanks!
We have done it every year for the last 4 years. We do seniors and it has been a very easy process.

They give you a list of wants and sizes and you add what you can. They don't ask for much so we usually double up on requests for pajamas and socks.

It's around $75 to $100 for a senior not sure about a family. Drop off is assigned a specific day and place and your done.

Sled is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sled For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2021, 06:15 PM   #3
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

The Kinettes do yeomans (yeowomans?)work.

https://kincalgary.com/adopt-a-famil...stration-open/

Its an old link so maybe contact them first.

Also i know the progress club does a LOT of this kind of thing around Christmas but they have several different individual clubs around town so you may want to contact them and see who is closest to you. Also a really stand-up group.

Last edited by transplant99; 09-27-2021 at 06:18 PM.
transplant99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to transplant99 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2021, 06:21 PM   #4
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

I sponsor a family every year through the North East Calgary Adopt A Family Society

PO Box 54027
2640 52 Street NE
Calgary, AB
T1Y 3R6

Phone: 403 590 6656
Fax: 403 590 6635
Email: necaafs@shaw.ca

You can either do a food hamper or sponsor a family for clothing or household items they may need. I usually sponsor a single Mom and her children.

The first names of the family are given with a wish list for each of the members in the family. Sizes are given and color preferences so it is a pretty easy process. You can buy as little or as much on the wish list as you want. Usually the mother asks for things mainly for her children.

I always include a food voucher for the grocery store nearest them and then include some board games for the family, maybe some movie or zoo tickets or transit passes, and an air blower popcorn maker and popcorn.

You are given a drop off date and time and locatoin.

Last edited by redforever; 09-27-2021 at 06:24 PM.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to redforever For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2021, 06:59 PM   #5
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Many churches support local families in great need, if you’re so inclined. Many families in need approach them so churches keep a record of those families.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2021, 11:01 AM   #6
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Many churches support local families in great need, if you’re so inclined. Many families in need approach them so churches keep a record of those families.
Regardless of your belief system this is usually a well organized and supported means of helping others. It’s incredible to see the energy and desire to help others, and very rewarding to hand out (and/or deliver) the hampers. Typically you are able to chose whether you want to built the hampers in a secure environment, be front line in handing them out, or delivering.
I’m not sure right now but the food kitchens for the needy are also a good place to contribute. A few years back, whilst working at a prior employer, instead of a pricey team building event we instead went and contributed to putting together several hundred shoe boxes filled with necessities for those living on the streets.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2021, 04:24 PM   #7
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Thanks for everyone's replies!
Jiggy is offline   Reply With Quote