Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2021, 11:57 PM   #1
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Landlord/Tenant Question

Hoping CP can help me out.

TLDR: Wife and I are up for lease renewal. Reached out to LL a month ago saying we would like to continue on month-to-month basis as we are looking for a place to purchase. LL sat on it for a month and has now come back saying rent increase.

I understand why they want the increase, but my question is do we have any rights seeing as how they sat on this until we have ~2 weeks before the expiration of our lease to do it? It effectively kills any chance for us to either negotiate or look for alternative accommodations.
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 12:03 AM   #2
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just to clarify, you were on a fixed term lease that is expiring? And have you been there for more than a year (or last increase over a year ago)?

If so, I think you’re out of luck except that it’s a renters market so I’d probably look quickly.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 12:34 AM   #3
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would leave on principle alone based on that interaction.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 12:38 AM   #4
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would double check but I read that as long as Alberta has declared a heath state of emergency the rent freeze is on.
I know most provinces have this right now . Here in B.C the rent increase freeze is till june and possibly longer depending on covid situation. Ontario has one , Quebec etc all have one

Just browsing the tenancy act for Alberta. What a joke. Alberta dosen't even have a law to limit the rent increases per year (unless you have a year long lease) or a limit to increases at all. You could pay 1300 one year and they can jack it up to literally anything. We have limits every year no matter the type of lease. I've been in the same place for 6 years and on the 5th year we rolled it over to month to month. According to Alberta a land lord in that structure can increase the rent every 3 months .. insane.

Based on how I interpret the Alberta tenecy act. Yes, they do have the right to increase it every 365 days with no limits on a fixed term with little to no notice or No, if the rent increase freeze is still in effect. It's surprisingly hard to find current info on Alberta tenancy laws. Your best bet is phoning RTDRS

Connect with RTDRS:

Phone: 780-644-3000
Toll free: 310-0000 before the phone number (in Alberta)
Fax: 780-644-2266
Email: rtdrs@gov.ab.ca

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 02-11-2021 at 01:11 AM.
combustiblefuel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 01:09 AM   #5
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

They lifted the rent freeze in June in Alberta. I’m fairly confident that if I_H8_CRAWFORD has been there a year (or longer) and no rent increase in a year than the tenant can increase rent at the end of the term without notice.
Old 02-11-2021, 01:11 AM   #6
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
According to Alberta a land lord in that structure can increase the rent every 3 months .. insane.
No, once a year only. But no limit to the increase.
Old 02-11-2021, 01:20 AM   #7
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
No, once a year only. But no limit to the increase.
Your right. . ####ing insane still . Here no matter your lease terms it's 1 time a year and with a provincial approved %
Old 02-11-2021, 01:21 AM   #8
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
They lifted the rent freeze in June in Alberta. I’m fairly confident that if I_H8_CRAWFORD has been there a year (or longer) and no rent increase in a year than the tenant can increase rent at the end of the term without notice.
No seems it has to be a full 90 days notice.

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 02-11-2021 at 02:11 AM.
Old 02-11-2021, 01:24 AM   #9
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Even if we had an emergency Reno here the landlords responsible fo covering other housing costs and cant raise the rent after and has to offer you the rental first before trying to advertise to new renters.
Old 02-11-2021, 01:58 AM   #10
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've never had a fixed-term lease so maybe that's a difference, but my understanding is that any rent increase requires a minimum 90 days written notice.
Old 02-11-2021, 02:14 AM   #11
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
I've never had a fixed-term lease so maybe that's a difference, but my understanding is that any rent increase requires a minimum 90 days written notice.
That is what it is needed . 90 days. That being said . Does the current lease state after the fixed period it goes to month to month or does the current contract state it will just end. There is a place on a tenecy agreement that asks this question.
Old 02-11-2021, 03:36 AM   #12
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.alberta.ca/information-t...landlords.aspx
Quote:
Landlords cannot increase the rent payable by a tenant under a fixed term or periodic tenancy agreement until a minimum of one year (365 days) has passed since the last rent increase or since the start of the tenancy, whichever is later.

If the landlord wants to increase the rent, the landlord’s notice to the tenant must be in writing and include all of the following:

the date
the effective date of the increase
the landlord's signature

This notice is required for a periodic tenancy only.

The amount of notice required depends on the type of tenancy:

12 full tenancy weeks for a week-to-week periodic tenancy
3 full tenancy months for a month-to-month periodic tenancy
90 days for any other periodic tenancy
For a fixed-term lease there is no notice required.
Old 02-11-2021, 03:38 AM   #13
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.landlordandtenant.org/no...rent-increase/
Quote:
If a tenant has a fixed term tenancy (which has an end date), there is no requirement under the Residential Tenancies Act for the landlord to give written notice of a rent increase. However, it is a very good idea for the landlord to let the tenant know of the increase ahead of time.

While notice is not required, there are rules that a landlord must follow to increase the rent during a fixed term tenancy:

A landlord can only increase the rent if one year (365 days) has passed since the tenant moved in or since the last rent increase.
The landlord cannot increase the rent midway through a fixed term lease agreement; the landlord has to wait until the fixed-term agreement is over. For example, if a tenant signs a six month lease and then signs a one year lease, the landlord must wait until the one year lease is over before increasing rent, even though the 365th day falls halfway through the one year lease. The landlord must wait until that lease is over the raise the rent.
Old 02-11-2021, 08:15 AM   #14
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

O good. Another reason to never return to Alberta.
Old 02-11-2021, 08:18 AM   #15
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Please stop.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2021, 08:26 AM   #16
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Or, be a landlord, it’s worked for me. I can’t believe what my landlord friends in other provinces put up with.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flamenspiel For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2021, 08:32 AM   #17
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I don't understand, what is unfair about this law?
The agreement expired. Why shouldn't the LL be able to increase the rate? Heck, the user in this case wants to go month to month - less security for the LL. Obviously a higher rate (relative to market trends) is expected.

Is the LL crappy for waiting this long? Hell ya, but I don't see why a law should be in place to prevent it.

If I am I_H8_Crawford, I sign on to month to month, then nearly immediately give my month notice -or as late as I can so I can move out at the end of March. Suck up one month of higher rent and then a big FU to the land lord for their crap tactics.
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mull For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2021, 09:06 AM   #18
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

And just to be clear - I fully expected a rent increase, it's more about the principle of it.

We even offered 60 days' notice on or original reach out to ask about month to month to help out the LL in an act of good faith, and they have done this.

We are seeing some places this weekend, one for the 2nd time, so hopefully all goes well, and we buy a house and get out in March
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 11:17 AM   #19
Mayo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

It’s not unreasonable that they asked for an increase for month to month. It’s unreasonable that they sat on it for a month though. My rent negotiations with tenants are usually over in a matter of minutes. Sadly I’m continually lowering the rent tho
Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mayo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2021, 11:37 AM   #20
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayo View Post
Sadly I’m continually lowering the rent tho
Yeah, unless I_H8_CRAWFORD was getting some Friend's level of awesome rent, I'd be tempted to call the landlord's bluff. You may not have a long time to find a place, but he will have even less to find someone to take over without missing out on rent himself. And it's easier to find a place than to rent one out.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post: