Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2021, 08:48 PM   #2021
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
It would be interesting to consider where Alberta could build a new city. Perhaps on highway 22 across for Red Deer? Maybe somewhere closer to the border like McLeod or Pincher Creek?
I don't think a city is sensible, but I've long sim-city fantasied a planned-town north of TC1 and west of the 1X (ie. just a little past highway 40 turnoff).

Affordable housing to serve Canmore/Banff, while also creating a launching point for Kananaskis. It could integrate to a passenger rail service, but more realistically it would be a parking hub for an efficient transit/shuttle service to the Bow Valley - in a utopian future where parking in Canmore/Banff is really expensive.

Car free central district with hotels and dense housing (think Whistler) - a loop road would allow vehicle access to to parkades from the 'outside'. A giant parking lot buffering the TC1 sandwiching a transit focal point. Big cabin lots a bit further west to help subsidize the whole thing.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2021, 11:14 AM   #2022
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Exshaw gone yuppie?
Old 08-13-2021, 12:40 PM   #2023
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
I don't think a city is sensible, but I've long sim-city fantasied a planned-town north of TC1 and west of the 1X (ie. just a little past highway 40 turnoff).

Affordable housing to serve Canmore/Banff, while also creating a launching point for Kananaskis. It could integrate to a passenger rail service, but more realistically it would be a parking hub for an efficient transit/shuttle service to the Bow Valley - in a utopian future where parking in Canmore/Banff is really expensive.

Car free central district with hotels and dense housing (think Whistler) - a loop road would allow vehicle access to to parkades from the 'outside'. A giant parking lot buffering the TC1 sandwiching a transit focal point. Big cabin lots a bit further west to help subsidize the whole thing.
Was it Sliver who envisioned something like this a few years ago? A whole new town in the Alberta mountains?
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2021, 01:04 PM   #2024
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not a new town, but I've always thought it would've been neat if Calgary was built closer to the mountains, so the whole city was set amongst rolling foothills, and with a more dramatic mountain backdrop.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2021, 01:12 PM   #2025
Nandric
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Not a new town, but I've always thought it would've been neat if Calgary was built closer to the mountains, so the whole city was set amongst rolling foothills, and with a more dramatic mountain backdrop.
When I was in Austria a couple years ago, I thought Innsbruck was one of the coolest cities due to its proximity to the mountains. 10-15min run and I was on either side of the valley climbing a mountain.
Old 08-13-2021, 02:04 PM   #2026
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Exshaw gone yuppie?
Essentially, yes. But a bigger blank starting point without immediately adjacent industrial stuff. The new town should have it's own Sci-Fi Dome, though.
Old 08-13-2021, 11:23 PM   #2027
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, but also would be colder and windier!
Old 08-14-2021, 02:06 PM   #2028
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Give the developers time and we will reach the mountains.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 02:08 PM   #2029
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

instead of starting a brand new city why not start with a smaller one and build out. At least then there is a base to build on, and the philosophy seems to be about pods anyway, so just add pods to an existing place. Red Deer? Lethbridge?
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 08:03 PM   #2030
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
instead of starting a brand new city why not start with a smaller one and build out. At least then there is a base to build on, and the philosophy seems to be about pods anyway, so just add pods to an existing place. Red Deer? Lethbridge?
Because then you have the small-town NIMBYs to deal with. The whole point of a new city is no NIMBYs.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2021, 02:57 PM   #2031
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any word about the two big-city mayors, Nenshi and Iveson, running for other political office, or what they’ll be doing after October?
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 02:02 PM   #2032
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Because then you have the small-town NIMBYs to deal with. The whole point of a new city is no NIMBYs.
Also starting from scratch with well-planned infrastructure, instead of retrofitting on generation upon generation of previous retrofit.
Old 08-16-2021, 04:04 PM   #2033
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Any word about the two big-city mayors, Nenshi and Iveson, running for other political office, or what they’ll be doing after October?
I've heard that Nenshi is not very healthy. My guess, he is going to take it easy for a year or two and look after himself. Writing a book was one of the things he said he wanted to do.
Old 08-16-2021, 09:12 PM   #2034
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
I've heard that Nenshi is not very healthy. My guess, he is going to take it easy for a year or two and look after himself. Writing a book was one of the things he said he wanted to do.
He has written at least one book already - my local library had like 200 copies when it came out.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 08:26 AM   #2035
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is anybody else in Ward 3 conflicted between Jasmine Mian and Nate Pike? They both seem equally good and engaged. It’s hard to pick. I can’t really see any negatives.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 08:59 AM   #2036
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I took a look who is running in Ward 4, it looks like 2 solid competitors to Chu in DJ Kelley and Angela McIntyre, which always makes me nervous about them splitting the vote and Chu getting another ####ing 4 years.

But then you also have this wizard:

https://shanerobertsward4.org/?page_...&video=39e5eb7

uhhh, ok?

And these weird videos:
https://shanerobertsward4.org/?page_...&video=5b58d04

He also says he grew up in Lake Bonavista, so you know he's certifiable.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2021, 09:05 AM   #2037
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was looking at some of the candidates running against Chu and thought Kelly’s reasons for running was pretty good. It was something like, “I saw that Chu was running again and knew I had to do something”.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2021, 09:09 AM   #2038
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll see which way the wind is blowing, and vote for whichever one looks to have the best chance.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2021, 09:17 AM   #2039
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I took a look who is running in Ward 4, it looks like 2 solid competitors to Chu in DJ Kelley and Angela McIntyre, which always makes me nervous about them splitting the vote and Chu getting another ####ing 4 years.
As the incumbent, Chu definitely has the advantage by knocking on enough doors of people that don't actually follow what he does on City Council.

I remember looking at McIntyre's website very early on and not being impressed at all. Looks like she's since beefed that up, although I'm probably favoring Kelly at this point.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 09:19 AM   #2040
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

But did you look at Shane Roberts' compelling arguments?

Wait, I just looked and he has no platform at all. Just weird videos.

Tags
chu , farkas , farkasisgreat