Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2021, 03:31 PM   #2401
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Wonder what is going to come of Woody Allen after that doc. I had no idea about the Dylan Farrow incident, and maybe that was just because he made the creepy, yet not illegal, relationship with Soon-Yi Previn the focus in the media at the time. I found it very bizarre that Mia Farrow thought his excuse of not being around children very much as a rational reason for why he was being inappropriate with Dylan.

From what I've read on it (and I don't know the case well enough, or have watched this), the documentary is heavily one-sided against Allen - https://www.theguardian.com/film/202...t-omit-so-much

As for what will happen to him... Amazon had signed a deal to release a number of his films, but backed out when these allegations surfaced a couple years ago. He sued for breach of contract and won, but his last two films struggled to find distribution in the US and only came out on VOD. His reputation is in better shape in Europe so he'll probably find producers there, but his films will probably fly low under the radar over here. His autobiography was dropped by his publisher until it was picked up by a smaller publishing house.

Admittedly I'm a fan of his work, but I do find it egregious that he's essentially been labeled a paedophile based on this one incident (which he was cleared of) and literally no other allegations surfacing in his 80+ years of life. Yet, he gets put in the same group as Cosby or Epstein, people who left a slew of victims in their wake. To be clear, I have no idea if the incident happened the way the Farrows lay out, but nor does anyone else. Though of course if there's even a whiff of scandal about you these days, off the cliff you go.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 03:53 PM   #2402
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Wonder what is going to come of Woody Allen after that doc. I had no idea about the Dylan Farrow incident, and maybe that was just because he made the creepy, yet not illegal, relationship with Soon-Yi Previn the focus in the media at the time. I found it very bizarre that Mia Farrow thought his excuse of not being around children very much as a rational reason for why he was being inappropriate with Dylan.
Mia Farrows didnt exactly have a great upbringing herself, her father was a drunken and violent man who died when she was 17, she ended up marrying Sinatra a few years later when she was 30 years his junior although he seems to be one of her better partners, if you grow up without an example of a good father it becomes difficult to tell what is and isnt appropriate in a partner, its one of the things abusors look for and groom in the mothers of their victims.

For the record I didnt watch the series but I have no doubt of Allen's guilt, if he hadnt gone on to sleep with his other daughter I would still tend to believe a woman who has consistantly told the same story from childhood to adulthood, the fact he also abused his now wife from her teens is just the gold seal certificate of him being a pedo ######
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 05:14 PM   #2403
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

I've always personally found the Soon-Yi story to be a bit icky, however she was apparently 20-21 years old when that relationship began, so not a paedophilic relationship.

As far as I've read, Allen and Farrow never lived together. Soon-Yi was never his daughter, he never adopted her and according to them he was never a father figure to her and as per court testimony they had barely even spoken to each other prior to 1990 (when she was 19).

Again, I find it a bit icky (in as much as my judgment as an outsider matters; I'm reading his autobiography at the moment, so we'll see if my mind changes once I get to that part of his life) but beginning a relationship with a 21 year old, marrying her and remaining together for the past 30 years isn't exactly the hallmark of a paedo, is it?
Old 03-21-2021, 08:05 PM   #2404
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I don't know how "High-Profile" Dan Avidan is but I'm a Game Grumps fan so this is disappointing.

https://dotesports.com/streaming/new...-underage-fans
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 09:41 PM   #2405
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post
I've always personally found the Soon-Yi story to be a bit icky, however she was apparently 20-21 years old when that relationship began, so not a paedophilic relationship.

As far as I've read, Allen and Farrow never lived together. Soon-Yi was never his daughter, he never adopted her and according to them he was never a father figure to her and as per court testimony they had barely even spoken to each other prior to 1990 (when she was 19).

Again, I find it a bit icky (in as much as my judgment as an outsider matters; I'm reading his autobiography at the moment, so we'll see if my mind changes once I get to that part of his life) but beginning a relationship with a 21 year old, marrying her and remaining together for the past 30 years isn't exactly the hallmark of a paedo, is it?
You could view Allen's relationship with either of his daughters as proof of nothing if taken alone granted, although if any man I knew that left his wife and started effing his step daughter at 20 or 21 they would still be scum below moral contempt who I would never deal with again, the level of pain that alone caused his children that he never gave a tinkers about as long as it satisfied his lust is beyond my comprehension, he never gave the harm this would cause his children the first thought in his actions.

But if you view the two events together the accusation of Allen being interested sexually in underage girls and not giving a dam how he satisfied that desire, well taken together it is damning.

Allen has claimed the relationship with Soon Yi started when she was 20, it would still be massively inappropriate and a significant red flag in a man accused of a seperate criminal assault, that Allen's doorman has claimed he started bringing her home when she was still a senior in high school though makes it worse, the fact she is shorter than he is at 5 ft 4 inches and I would assume would have looked like a pre pubescent child when he started schtooping her makes it worse.

As to not leaving her, well he cant now can he? she can destroy him utterly.
Old 03-21-2021, 11:21 PM   #2406
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
the fact she is shorter than he is at 5 ft 4 inches and I would assume would have looked like a pre pubescent child when he started schtooping her makes it worse.
Well that's a very silly argument. Why are you assuming a 21 year old would look pre pubescent? I surely don't need to explain how a 21 year old would look very different to a 7 year old.

Creepy and inappropriate? Absolutely. Paedophilic? Obviously not.
Old 03-22-2021, 01:42 AM   #2407
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post
Well that's a very silly argument. Why are you assuming a 21 year old would look pre pubescent? I surely don't need to explain how a 21 year old would look very different to a 7 year old.

Creepy and inappropriate? Absolutely. Paedophilic? Obviously not.
I realize I may have had more experience with pedo, hebephiles and ephebophilia than most (or any here) but trust me, a 56 year old man who has a sexual interest in a 19 or 20 year old step daughter is wired very very wrong, frankly if she had just been some actress he started shagging it would still be very very wrong, possibly not illegal but still pervy as all get out, that it was his stepdaughter makes this relationship alone beyond any moral redemption.

Should he be made a pariah for sleeping with his step daughter and destroying his family? yes, that anyone would defend him just for this is beyond my ken, but if then his younger daughter accuses him of touching her, and maintains that consistent story for 25 years, when you already know Allen is wholly sexually inappropriate with younger women in his family why would you not believe her?
Old 03-22-2021, 09:18 AM   #2408
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

With Allen and Soon Yi, I just can't take Mia Farrows word for it.

Soon Yi is a grown up woman, who in the very few interviews she has given comes off as quite perceptive, normal and clearly happy with her relationship with Allen, not at all as someone incapable of evaluating her own situation and personal history.

There have been at least two investigations into Allen looking for basically anything, and nothing has cone up.

Both her and Allen have told their side of how they ended up as a couple and both are saying it was when she was already an adult and that he was never a fathr figure.

I just don't see a crime or a victim here, and beyond that I don't really care, I don't think it's my business to judge.

It's also worth noting that both Moses Farrow and Soon Yi are calling Mia Farrow an abusive parent.

People keep saying believe the woman, and in this case the woman has been for decades that please stop harassing them for this.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 09:26 AM   #2409
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean, read for yourself.

https://www.vulture.com/2018/09/soon...in-speaks.html

I think it's also worth noting that even when Soon Yi HAS given interviews on camera, you can never hear her own voice. It's always just reporters giving a couple of sentences largely out of context and with as scandalous of a spin as possible. Instead of anyone listening to the woman, it's more like she's been actively blocked from getting her own voice out.

No wonder she's not eager to give interviews.
Old 03-22-2021, 09:54 AM   #2410
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post

I think it's also worth noting that even when Soon Yi HAS given interviews on camera, you can never hear her own voice. It's always just reporters giving a couple of sentences largely out of context and with as scandalous of a spin as possible. Instead of anyone listening to the woman, it's more like she's been actively blocked from getting her own voice out.

It's 2021. She could put a video on YouTube telling her whole story if she wanted to. Maybe she even knows somebody who could help her make the vid.

I don't really know or care about her story one way or another, but nobody in this day and age is blocked from getting their voice out.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2021, 11:09 AM   #2411
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nm.

Last edited by Itse; 03-22-2021 at 11:16 AM.
Old 03-22-2021, 11:15 AM   #2412
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
It's 2021. She could put a video on YouTube telling her whole story if she wanted to. Maybe she even knows somebody who could help her make the vid.

I don't really know or care about her story one way or another, but nobody in this day and age is blocked from getting their voice out.
That wasn't a thing back when most of this narrative was told, so it doesn't make it retroactively okay. Also, these are old, socially reclusive people who just want this thing to go away. They're not of the social media generation.

I also don't think it would make any difference at this point. People have made up their minds about this, and are just not open to accepting that maybe they were wrong, especially since it would require people to admit they never actually gave one s*** about the supposed victim, and that the problem here was them.

If shr made a video, people would just go on saying that she's brainwashed or what ever. Again, it's not like we don't know what she has to say about it already. People just don't like to hear it.
Old 03-22-2021, 12:16 PM   #2413
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post

The interviewer says that she's been friends with Allen for more than four decades. I haven't read all of it but I imagine their longtime friendship has to shade some of the reporting.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 01:46 PM   #2414
RogerWilco
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is it just me or is this entire Prince Harry and Megan Markle scandal just a big deflection from Prince Andrew's friendship with Jeffrey Epstein. All of the sudden the entire British press is is screaming about a second rate American actress destroying the royal family. I don't know about the rest of you but I think the son of the current monarch enjoying the company of teenage girls should continue to be the bigger story. You don't hear anything about Andrew anymore.
RogerWilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 01:50 PM   #2415
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerWilco View Post
Is it just me or is this entire Prince Harry and Megan Markle scandal just a big deflection from Prince Andrew's friendship with Jeffrey Epstein. All of the sudden the entire British press is is screaming about a second rate American actress destroying the royal family. I don't know about the rest of you but I think the son of the current monarch enjoying the company of teenage girls should continue to be the bigger story. You don't hear anything about Andrew anymore.
It's just you. I mean, what more is there to say about Andrew at this point? Harry and Megan are providing new and ongoing "news" that keeps people interested. You're basically comparing an explosive interview from a couple weeks ago with a revelation about a less-high-profile royal from a couple years ago.
Old 03-22-2021, 02:04 PM   #2416
RogerWilco
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
It's just you. I mean, what more is there to say about Andrew at this point? Harry and Megan are providing new and ongoing "news" that keeps people interested. You're basically comparing an explosive interview from a couple weeks ago with a revelation about a less-high-profile royal from a couple years ago.
Old news? Ghislaine Maxwell, who probably knows everything, was just arrested last summer. Andrew is probably hiding in a castle somewhere just giddy that new scandals keep popping up.
RogerWilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 02:06 PM   #2417
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What was explosive about that interview?

Someone in the Royal family is racist?

Yeah nah, I'm not surprised.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 02:09 PM   #2418
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post

People enjoy the soft news of the royal family being anachronistic and bickering amongst themselves. The implications of a massive pedophile blackmail ring that targets global elites is something most people would just rather not think about.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 02:09 PM   #2419
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerWilco View Post
Old news? Ghislaine Maxwell, who probably knows everything, was just arrested last summer. Andrew is probably hiding in a castle somewhere just giddy that new scandals keep popping up.
I'm sure he does appreciate the heat is off him for now. It'll probably be back on him if there is new news. So yeah, the latest news was from a year ago? That is indeed old news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post

I don't give a fata about the royals at all, but I've been paying attention enough to know the interview was a bigger deal in the last two weeks than Maxwell being arrested a year ago.
Old 03-22-2021, 02:10 PM   #2420
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
People enjoy the soft news of royal family ebeing outdated and bickering amongst themselves. The implications of a massive pedophile blackmail ring that targets global elites is something most people would just rather not think about.
It's not that. It's the Megan/Harry thing is current news and the Andrew thing is old news for now.