Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2021, 08:42 AM   #681
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
I negotiate in my business all day, every day... Opening with "what's the lowest you'll go?" is an absolute non-starter for me.

I've made the first move by listing a price. It's your turn to make an offer and I'll either counter or flat out say no; I'm not going to negotiate against myself.
I just respond with "well it's listed for $X.xx, so obviously that's what I think it's worth".
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 08:51 AM   #682
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
I negotiate in my business all day, every day... Opening with "what's the lowest you'll go?" is an absolute non-starter for me.

I've made the first move by listing a price. It's your turn to make an offer and I'll either counter or flat out say no; I'm not going to negotiate against myself.
Most people selling on Kijiji are not professional salespeople, though, and often you'll see an item that is objectively overpriced. I'd rather start with a, "Hey I like your thing, but honestly, your price is too high. What's the lowest you'll go?" than pretty much any other starter. Most people will reply with a new price lower than their listed price, so with one question you're already saving yourself some money.

I mean, you can hate the question, but it gets results 99.9% of the time. It's saved me thousands and when I'm selling something, it's not offensive or trouble at all when somebody asks me. Like, I'd rather talk to a guy that is serious about buying, but just wants a better price, than a guy that wants it for free and delivered to Timbuktu.

Buying an expensive car? Yeah, I'll probably start the conversation in a classier way by actually asking for more details about the car and worrying about price later. But if I'm buying a weed eater I have no shame about starting with the "what's your lowest price" question.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2021, 11:05 AM   #683
Misterpants
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Kijiji needs a blue checkmark function where we can weed out the deadbeats. Especially people who ask questions and then step away from their phones for a week.
Misterpants is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Misterpants For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2021, 01:07 PM   #684
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterpants View Post
Kijiji needs a blue checkmark function where we can weed out the deadbeats. Especially people who ask questions and then step away from their phones for a week.
Questions are fine, but there's a special place in hell for the "hold it for me until ____" no-shows
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 03:09 PM   #685
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Questions are fine, but there's a special place in hell for the "hold it for me until ____" no-shows
I never hold anything unless they are willing to e-transfer me 50% of the agreed upon price.

That is an easy way to weed out those who are serious and those who are not.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 09:54 PM   #686
Chingas
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redforever View Post
I never hold anything unless they are willing to e-transfer me 50% of the agreed upon price.

That is an easy way to weed out those who are serious and those who are not.
And most of the people on Kijiji that ask for a deposit transfered are flat out thieves. I will not give any stranger money sight unseen.
Old 08-09-2021, 10:13 PM   #687
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I see no benefit from a seller’s perspective of holding an item for any amount of time unless a potential buyer is enroute.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 10:22 PM   #688
Roger
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Most people selling on Kijiji are not professional salespeople, though, and often you'll see an item that is objectively overpriced. I'd rather start with a, "Hey I like your thing, but honestly, your price is too high. What's the lowest you'll go?" than pretty much any other starter. Most people will reply with a new price lower than their listed price, so with one question you're already saving yourself some money.

I mean, you can hate the question, but it gets results 99.9% of the time. It's saved me thousands and when I'm selling something, it's not offensive or trouble at all when somebody asks me. Like, I'd rather talk to a guy that is serious about buying, but just wants a better price, than a guy that wants it for free and delivered to Timbuktu.

Buying an expensive car? Yeah, I'll probably start the conversation in a classier way by actually asking for more details about the car and worrying about price later. But if I'm buying a weed eater I have no shame about starting with the "what's your lowest price" question.
I have zero faith in the tactic. Asking what the lowest price off the bat is like asking grandma how many cookies you can have before you're a good kid for the afternoon. It's an off-putting question that does not help negotiations at all.

Most of the people buying on Kijiji that are using that tactic are people that are expecting you to either drop your price immediately, or else ignore you. I'm not talking about a $4 pair of kids shoes, trying to get bargained down to $2. Doesn't need to be an expensive car. When it's a $10,000 vehicle, and the clown is opening the discussion requesting my bottom price, and I refrain, and then I get offered $5000, it's a capital F.U.

Without knowing how many times you've dealt on Kijiji, I'm just guessing that you've left a lot of money on the table by pissing people off before dealing with them in person.

What's your lowest price? My lowest price is that I'd rather haul it to the dump than deal with a cheap #### that can't actually make an offer.
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roger For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2021, 10:27 PM   #689
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
I have zero faith in the tactic. Asking what the lowest price off the bat is like asking grandma how many cookies you can have before you're a good kid for the afternoon. It's an off-putting question that does not help negotiations at all.

Most of the people buying on Kijiji that are using that tactic are people that are expecting you to either drop your price immediately, or else ignore you. I'm not talking about a $4 pair of kids shoes, trying to get bargained down to $2. Doesn't need to be an expensive car. When it's a $10,000 vehicle, and the clown is opening the discussion requesting my bottom price, and I refrain, and then I get offered $5000, it's a capital F.U.

Without knowing how many times you've dealt on Kijiji, I'm just guessing that you've left a lot of money on the table by pissing people off before dealing with them in person.

What's your lowest price? My lowest price is that I'd rather haul it to the dump than deal with a cheap #### that can't actually make an offer.
By asking the what’s your lowest price question the buyer has weeded out the sellers that they don’t want to deal with. If you want the best deal you are looking for someone who just wants whatever it is gone. They aren’t looking to buy your car that you have an idea of it’s value. They are looking for the person who wants a few hundred more than the dealer offered.

So by asking what’s your lowest price up front they are saving everybody’s time. You should thank them instead of considering it an FU. They could come out, see the car, act interested and then low ball you. This would piss you off much more. An email lowball has zero cost.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2021, 07:53 AM   #690
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Honestly when selling I much prefer the “what’s the lowest you’ll go” folks to the ones offering you 50% of the list price or some irrelevant trade.

Like I’ve got a number in my head, presumably lower than what I’ve listed at, the “lowest I’ll go” clearly becomes a take or it leave it price, which saves everyone time.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Regular_John For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2021, 08:01 AM   #691
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydorn View Post
Honestly when selling I much prefer the “what’s the lowest you’ll go” folks to the ones offering you 50% of the list price or some irrelevant trade.

Like I’ve got a number in my head, presumably lower than what I’ve listed at, the “lowest I’ll go” clearly becomes a take or it leave it price, which saves everyone time.
I sold a higher value item a few weeks back on Kijiji... buyer contacted me via the message system, a few questions, expressed interest, started asking pricing flexibility... because they seemed a good sort of person I moved it to a telephone call... where we discussed in further detail which included the "what's your bottom line price?" Next day they came, inspected, and paid up. I coulda messed around further with others on Kijiji however sometimes a quick sale is well worth it, even if I might have left $250-500 on the table.
The flip side is if a posted item becomes stale... if it appears to be good but sits there too long isn't it natural to assume there's something wrong with it? and so more people just pass it by.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2021, 09:56 AM   #692
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingas View Post
And most of the people on Kijiji that ask for a deposit transfered are flat out thieves. I will not give any stranger money sight unseen.
I have never had a problem with people being willing to give a deposit to hold the merchandise. Conversations between buyer and seller are archived and e-transfers are traceable if a problem arises. If they want to see the merchandise first, I tell them I won't hold it, first come first serve...but they can come right over if they are truly interested, end of conversation.

I have had great luck selling stuff on Kijiji. I recently renovated my main floor and powder room. I sold all my kitchen cupboards, my cooktop, wall oven, and dishwasher, kitchen sink, bathroom sink, bathroom taps, and quartz in the bathroom. I also sold all my light fixtures from my main floor.

I also went through all my kitchen things for baking and cooking and sold lots of stuff that I no longer needed or used. I have never had a problem with Kijiji.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 06:22 PM   #693
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am not an Apple aficionado but what is this? It has the front of an iPhone SE and the back of an iPhone 11. It this a scam?

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cell-phone/c...rce=ios_social
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2021, 09:55 PM   #694
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

My general Kijiji selling experience is bad, as I did try selling a few used cars throughout the years.

There's always the low-ballers - I had a used Mercedes listed at $30K where the dealer sells the same year same model for 15% more, and people texting me offering $18K, $21K!! WTF? Are you expecting me to lower the price by 40%?

Anyways, I had a few "interested" parties who wanted to test drive the car. OK, no problem. I meet them at a strip mall, and the potential buyer arrived with a van full of friends, and they went through everything on my car like a coroner examining a murder victim, flipping through everywhere of my car. And then buddy who thinks he is the chief Ferrari engineer started to criticize the car, saying this is no good, that part needs to be fixed, etc....

Such time wasters.....
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lazypucker For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2021, 09:19 PM   #695
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

When selling a vehicle on kijiji why do potential buyers insist on talking on the phone about the vehicle? The ad could list every single possible detail about the car and even explicitly state “email or messaging preferred” and they still want to start off the process with a phone call. I can definitely see talking on the phone to make arrangements to see it or buy it, but why do so many people reply with “what’s your phone number?” It almost seems like they just want to talk about cars in general, or maybe get to know the seller, or see if they can get a lowball offer accepted. I don’t want to talk on the phone and I don’t have time to chat with every single person who is interested
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 07:45 AM   #696
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
My general Kijiji selling experience is bad, as I did try selling a few used cars throughout the years.

There's always the low-ballers - I had a used Mercedes listed at $30K where the dealer sells the same year same model for 15% more, and people texting me offering $18K, $21K!! WTF? Are you expecting me to lower the price by 40%?
I often wonder what is the line between asking for a discount as part of a negotiation, and what is an offensive “low ball”? For your example above, $21 would have been my opening for an item priced at $30, with the expectation we would wind up somewhere from $25-$27.

I’m always polite “Hey, I know this is a low ball, but it’s what I can do, if it doesn’t work for you, no problem, good luck with your sale.”, but I wonder what sellers think is the line between an appropriate opening and an inappropriate one?

Thoughts from sellers?

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flashpoint For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2021, 10:10 AM   #697
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don't have a major problem with bargainers, but anything approaching 50% discount will not receive a response back from me. If I do respond, it would be my bottom line number, so no further negotiation necessary.

It is a gear grinder if someone then comes back with another ####ty offer. That shows either an inability to read or someone basically trolling.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 10:53 AM   #698
boogerz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashpoint View Post
I often wonder what is the line between asking for a discount as part of a negotiation, and what is an offensive “low ball”? For your example above, $21 would have been my opening for an item priced at $30, with the expectation we would wind up somewhere from $25-$27.

I’m always polite “Hey, I know this is a low ball, but it’s what I can do, if it doesn’t work for you, no problem, good luck with your sale.”, but I wonder what sellers think is the line between an appropriate opening and an inappropriate one?

Thoughts from sellers?
If the buyer asks me good questions, come sees the thing in person (and arrives on time), and generally puts in some modicum of effort into justifying the lowball offer, I might seriously entertain it and make a counter-offer.

Most of my stuff over the years has been priced to sell though, so I usually don't encounter lowballers.
boogerz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to boogerz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2021, 11:31 AM   #699
sec304
First Line Centre

Exp:

One thing I've done with some low offers (reasonable ones) is that I'll tell them that if it doesn't sell within a week then I will take their offer. It's worked so far both ways
sec304 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sec304 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2021, 12:59 PM   #700
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
I don't have a major problem with bargainers, but anything approaching 50% discount will not receive a response back from me. If I do respond, it would be my bottom line number, so no further negotiation necessary.

It is a gear grinder if someone then comes back with another ####ty offer. That shows either an inability to read or someone basically trolling.
Or they know there is always a little room to get more money off.

There is zero cost to making an offer on kijiji so you as a buyer or a seller should never accept an offer. It should always be countered until one party says no.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote