Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2021, 10:30 PM   #4021
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

The plate was a little adjustable, so I found a spot where it angles a little more towards the frame and that helped a bit.

Then I had a weird idea and tried applying a little bit of garage door roller lubricant to the surfaces and that final bit did the trick.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 12:14 AM   #4022
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
That door looks pretty snug. And those strike plates are for a wider jamb. I think the proper fix is to shim the hinges to pull the door away from the jamb slightly but you might get away with bending the plate a bit. How big is the gap on the hinge side?

I suck at installing doors, my achilles heel. My nephew would probably shim that thing proper in 15 minutes.
This, but maybe start with some graphite first. A little lube might help it move easier on close. Especially if was closing previously.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 07:56 AM   #4023
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

This shows you how to shim the hinges for the desired effect.

https://youtu.be/X-WEM9qN_t4
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2021, 09:06 AM   #4024
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I probably explained this poorly. So, it's an exterior door from the house to the the garage. When it closes though, the latch doesn't retract when it hits the strike. It just gets stuck and the door doesn't fully close, unless I turn the door handle and pull it closed. The latch isn't sticky or anything either.

Maybe the pics will help explain it better.

Also...the latch in the door could be recessed a bit more.

Loosen the screws on the handle and tap the latch with a hammer to make it flush with the door edge. Then re-tighten the screws on the handle.
Old 09-03-2021, 09:38 AM   #4025
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
That door looks pretty snug. And those strike plates are for a wider jamb. I think the proper fix is to shim the hinges to pull the door away from the jamb slightly but you might get away with bending the plate a bit. How big is the gap on the hinge side?

I suck at installing doors, my achilles heel. My nephew would probably shim that thing proper in 15 minutes.
Ryobi has a door hinge template and a door lock installation kit that decreases the difficulty a butt load.

I had a contractor who was manually doing everything from the hinges, locks etc. and he was blown away at how useful the tool was to score out the hinges/locks etc. before carefully finishing it off using a chisel.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 09:58 AM   #4026
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Ryobi has a door hinge template and a door lock installation kit that decreases the difficulty a butt load.

I had a contractor who was manually doing everything from the hinges, locks etc. and he was blown away at how useful the tool was to score out the hinges/locks etc. before carefully finishing it off using a chisel.

I think anybody who could do that manually is amazing. I’d screw that up so badly.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2021, 10:04 AM   #4027
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I think anybody who could do that manually is amazing. I’d screw that up so badly.
Agreed. Oh and I guess silly question, but did you try lubing up the latch so it slides in easier?

I was having the opposite issues with the latch randomly getting stuck and lubricating it helped quite a bit to resolve it. I wonder if lubing it up would help the latch retract with less force.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2021, 11:16 AM   #4028
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I have a install kit for door knobs and deadbolts, have used it many times, well worth the money. Never used one for hinges. I just have issues squaring the jambs mostly while installing fast build kits. I hired my nephew last time and it was both faster and educational! It's a funny thing that is happening as I age, I don't really care to be a jack of all trades anymore, and I like having some jobs be done quickly and but a tradesman. It's way more fun to come home to a job well done then spend half saturday messing around and coming up with acceptable but not quite all the way there results.
Old 09-03-2021, 11:23 AM   #4029
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Agreed. Oh and I guess silly question, but did you try lubing up the latch so it slides in easier?

I was having the opposite issues with the latch randomly getting stuck and lubricating it helped quite a bit to resolve it. I wonder if lubing it up would help the latch retract with less force.

I first dabbed a bit of lube over the strike plate and when that showed some improvement, I retracted the latch and squirted some in to get some everywhere on the latch.
Old 09-03-2021, 01:41 PM   #4030
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Lube is always recommended for repetitive in and out.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2021, 06:53 AM   #4031
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Does anyone have experience adding insulation to the exterior of a house (behind siding)? Worth it or no?
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 01:11 PM   #4032
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've done it twice, hard to say if it was really worth it, both were older homes and had so many leaks it was hard to make a drastic improvement. You have to be careful and consider the entire homes insulation as a system, Adding a layer of rigid to the exterior and taping it all up can create a moisture trap inside the walls as you are changing the way they breathe, particularly on an older home with substandard vapour barrier.

I would also say it is only worth it if you can add 1.5-2", which can create a lot more work around openings. If you are just adding a thin layer it's pretty pointless as far as work/reward. A good layer of house wrap will cut down on the effect of wind but not seal the walls up trapping moisture.
The Following User Says Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2021, 01:50 PM   #4033
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thanks. The house is a 2012 build so I don’t think it would have as many leaks as an older house. Only reason I’m considering it is because it needs new siding from a hail storm in July so now is the best time to do it if we were gonna ever have it done
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary14 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2021, 11:53 PM   #4034
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Best prices for construction grade plywood? Just need 8 sheets of 5/8 but at 65 per from the BB I’m willing to shop around.
Old 09-07-2021, 08:46 AM   #4035
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Best prices for construction grade plywood? Just need 8 sheets of 5/8 but at 65 per from the BB I’m willing to shop around.
https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=184356
Old 09-15-2021, 01:30 PM   #4036
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Anybody know where I can get self-adhesive vinyl wood-looking/textured planks for putting on a wall?

Like these from HD USA, but HD in Canada doesn't carry them: https://www.homedepot.com/p/ALLURE-5...-316769683-_-N

Planks need to be 48" long. Don't want wall paper...they would be kind of like vinyl floor/pergo, but for walls.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 01:38 PM   #4037
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

What about these?

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/iso...se-/1001122075

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/dun...ige/1001647969
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 02:01 PM   #4038
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
Thanks. The house is a 2012 build so I don’t think it would have as many leaks as an older house. Only reason I’m considering it is because it needs new siding from a hail storm in July so now is the best time to do it if we were gonna ever have it done
The vast majority of heat loss will be through your attic. Check your insulation there. After that it's your windows.
Old 09-15-2021, 02:02 PM   #4039
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
That is exactly what I want, but it's out of stock online and in store. No telling when or if they'll carry it again.

Nah, I need the actual planks...not these square panels.

Thanks for looking, though!
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 02:30 PM   #4040
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Interior design fashion through the years is funny. First you had houses with plain wood walls on the inside. Then people started covering up those wooden walls with plaster and wallpaper. Years later it moves to interior paneling made to look like wood, then that became ugly so it went to painted drywall. Now we're at drywall with vinyl stuck to it to make it look like wood again. Wonder how long it'll be before that becomes outdated and people are tearing it off the walls
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post: