Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2013, 09:06 AM   #1
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default 10 years ago tomorrow...

... on November 16, 2003, Darryl Sutter traded a second round pick to the San Jose Sharks.

In exchange, the Flames received San Jose's third string goaltender -- a lanky Finn named Miikka Kiprusoff. The rest, as they say, is history.

Without question, the moment this franchise reversed its fortunes after seven straight years of playoff futility, all the way to game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals.

10 years, a Vezina, Jennings, GAA record, All-star team, and numerous team records later, all that is left for #34 is to raise a banner up into the rafters of the Saddledome

tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 80 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Żoso, Allos, Anduril, Arkamedius, Backlund11, bc-chris, Ben_in_Canada, BigT112, Boblobla, bubbsy, c.t.ner, calgaryred, Captain Hair, CaptainCraig, carom, cgy2london, chalms04, Chingas, codynw, Cole436, CRXguy, CSharp, Daradon, devo22, doctajones428, Domoic, DownInFlames, etc, Flambé, Flamboyant 14, FlameFan21, FlatLandFlamesFan, Flickered Flame, Francis's Hairpiece, Frequitude, Galaxy911, getbak, Gondi Stylez, greyshep, HockeyKhan, Hockey_Ninja, Homeslice, Hugh Jahrmes, ignite, iLoveLamp, Inferno099, Itse, JAllen, jar_e, jayswin, Joborule, jschick88, JurassicTunga12, ken0042, kenk-la, killer_carlson, Lord Carnage, Mass_nerder, Mattman, Nammer403, Neeper, noreply, Pagal4321, pepper24, Phaneuf, Pointman, redflamesfan08, Regulator75, Reign of Fire, renny, Rickbo, Roast Beef, shogged, slybomb, Stealth22, Suzles, Table 5, The Swedish Flame, Yrebmi, zukes
Old 11-15-2013, 09:07 AM   #2
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I"m a little pissed he retired 1 year early..... hehe still my favorite NHL player ever though!
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:12 AM   #3
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

This trade was such a steal. It's not like he needed a few more years to develop, he made an immediate impact after the trade. How did San Jose not know what they had in him?
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:21 AM   #4
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
This trade was such a steal. It's not like he needed a few more years to develop, he made an immediate impact after the trade. How did San Jose not know what they had in him?
Well it appears nobody knew what they had or others would have dealt for him and a 2nd round pick for a back-up goalie is a pretty damn good return so they obviously knew not to toss him away for nothing.

Plus it wasn't like they were stuck with some bum as Nabokov was playing pretty well for them and would play well for the next couple of years as well.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:29 AM   #5
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
Well it appears nobody knew what they had or others would have dealt for him and a 2nd round pick for a back-up goalie is a pretty damn good return so they obviously knew not to toss him away for nothing.

Plus it wasn't like they were stuck with some bum as Nabokov was playing pretty well for them and would play well for the next couple of years as well.

I remember hearing at the time that we offered a 2nd for either Toskala or Kiprusoff and San Jose chose to send us Kiprusoff.

San Jose did draft Vlasic with that pick, so they did a good job turning that "nothing" into something useful at least.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:32 AM   #6
BACKCHECK!!!
First Line Centre

Exp:

This is why you don't draft goalies in the 1st round.

You can barely even tell what their current level of ability is with a goalie, forget about trying to predict how they're going to develop in the future.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:34 AM   #7
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BACKCHECK!!! View Post
This is why you don't draft goalies in the 1st round.

You can barely even tell what their current level of ability is with a goalie, forget about trying to predict how they're going to develop in the future.
But but but but but Brent Krahn is from Calgary and the draft was being held in Calgary and he played for the Calgary Hitmen.....
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:37 AM   #8
Pointman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I still remember many people posting that 2nd is overpayment, but we need a goalie, so the trade is good. Also Sutter allegedly should have tried harder to get Toskala instead.
Pointman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:40 AM   #9
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:
Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointman View Post
I still remember many people posting that 2nd is overpayment, but we need a goalie, so the trade is good. Also Sutter allegedly should have tried harder to get Toskala instead.
Sutter wanted Toskala. SJ wouldn't trade him so Sutter settled for Kipper...

SJ did us more of a favor that day then Sutter did...
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:44 AM   #10
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Toskala was the higher profile prospect at the time.

I do wonder how Toskala might have developed though, if he had the same opportunity that Kiprusoff had with the Flames. Perhaps being a back-up for longer was not the best thing for him either, just as it wasn't for Kiprusoff.

Honestly, I think very few people expected Kiprusoff to make Turek expendable like he did (Sutter included).
Old 11-15-2013, 09:55 AM   #11
CedarMeter
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
How did San Jose not know what they had in him?
The goaltending coach for the Sharks at the time did tell management before the trade was made "that don't be surprised if he turns out to be an all star goaltender".
CedarMeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:56 AM   #12
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Same deal with Iggy, we wanted someone else but we embed up with him right?
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:58 AM   #13
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Am I the only one living under a rock and hearing this Toskala thing for the first time?
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiggy_12 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2013, 10:01 AM   #14
CedarMeter
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy_12 View Post
Am I the only one living under a rock and hearing this Toskala thing for the first time?
This is a first for me too.
CedarMeter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CedarMeter For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2013, 10:06 AM   #15
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yeah lol, I've never once heard this Sutter wanted Toskala thing before.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2013, 10:08 AM   #16
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post

Ya, I remember at the time being confused as to why - if you're trading for a Sharks back-up G - Sutter took some press box warmer I had never heard of in Kiprusoff over Toskala, who at the time was deemed capable of being a legit starter in this league, stuck behind an all-star goalie in Nabokov. Shows what I know...
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:12 AM   #17
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know the organization wanted Todd Harvey but settled for some prospect named Iginla in the Niewendyk trade, but I have never heard that the Flames wanted Toskola and settled for Kipper before.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:12 AM   #18
Pointman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I do remember FANS wanting Toskala on CP, but I don't remember anything about Sutter himself pushing for Toskala.
Pointman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pointman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2013, 10:13 AM   #19
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I do remember Burke saying Van offered SJ the same deal but Wilson figured our 2nd rounder would be a better pick.
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:22 AM   #20
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I do remember FANS wanting Toskala on CP, but I don't remember anything about Sutter himself pushing for Toskala.

The way I recall it was that it was rumoured that San Jose, as they were carrying 3 goalies at the time, were going to trade one of Toskala or Kiprusoff and that they had offers on the table for both, but they wanted to wait a few weeks to decide which one they wanted to part with. Basically, it was their call.

I am of the belief that if San Jose decided that Toskala was the goalie they were going to trade, that he would have been the one in Calgary. I have no inside information or anything, but just my gut feeling given that Toskala was considered by many in the media to be the higher profile goalie and that we were kind of desperate at the time.

Tags
2003 , kipper! kipper! kipper! , miikka kiprusoff day , november 16