Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2020, 01:37 PM   #1
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Travel blog

I’m a former travel writer with many published articles. I’d like to resume travel writing but not in magazines and newspapers as I did before.

What’s the best way to start a travel blog? I have lots of Twitter followers so maybe I’d set up a blog site and link to my articles on Twitter. I have .com and .ca websites, one of which I could convert to a travel site.

Is this the best way to resurrect this hobby business?

I’m looking for advice on how to do this.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 01:52 PM   #2
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Probably setup WordPress on one of your domains and get writing.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 02:03 PM   #3
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a WordPress site now. It could be converted from its previous use to a travel site.
Old 12-27-2020, 03:41 PM   #4
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I’m a former travel writer with many published articles. I’d like to resume travel writing but not in magazines and newspapers as I did before.

What’s the best way to start a travel blog? I have lots of Twitter followers so maybe I’d set up a blog site and link to my articles on Twitter. I have .com and .ca websites, one of which I could convert to a travel site.

Is this the best way to resurrect this hobby business?

I’m looking for advice on how to do this.
I would say for anyone to give you advice we would need to know your goals.

Do you want to make money, get stories in front of as many people as possible, or just have a place to put stuff for your family to read.

If your goal is to earn money, its likely that your best bet would either be to resume writing for traditional media, or create a substack subscription newsletter.

If you just want somewhere to put stuff that is too long-form for Twitter then a WordPress would be fine.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 03:49 PM   #5
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Just do it.

There's no perfect way, so do whatever feels right to start and go from there.

Pretty much every travel blogger I follow on YouTube says just start, make content that you'd watch, and have fun.

When you do, post the link and I'll be sure to follow!

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 04:04 PM   #6
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post

Do you want to make money, get stories in front of as many people as possible, or just have a place to put stuff for your family to read.

If your goal is to earn money, its likely that your best bet would either be to resume writing for traditional media, or create a substack subscription newsletter.

If you just want somewhere to put stuff that is too long-form for Twitter then a WordPress would be fine.
The answer is right there in his name.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2020, 04:12 PM   #7
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Maybe - could also be a hobby for someone who made their money some other way.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 04:56 PM   #8
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post

I don’t care about making money. I’m retired from my full-time gig and have two part-time gigs one ending in 10 and I’d like to add another. I did this for years and know it’s a lot of work to market to the print media, where I was a writer and magazine editor, with no guarantee the articles will sell. We travel a lot so my purposes are two-fold: to get my material to as many people as possible and, selfishly, I know how I can land travel perques. For example, I can get a couple nights in a hotel.

You use Wordpress as a noun. I assume you mean a WP website. I have lots of Twitter followers and would tweet links to my content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
Just do it.

....Pretty much every travel blogger I follow on YouTube says just start, make content that you'd watch, and have fun.

When you do, post the link and I'll be sure to follow!
That was my intention. If I get this going I’ll post here. I may start by posting content to my site so I can use it as a sakes tool as mentioned above.

Please tell me the travel bloggers you follow. Do you follow direct from a website or through another medium like Twitter or Facebook that links to a website?

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
A good assumption but money doesn’t matter as mentioned. My handle is from my career as a financial advisor.

Last edited by MoneyGuy; 12-27-2020 at 05:07 PM.
Old 12-27-2020, 06:35 PM   #9
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Be more exciting than Rick Steeves.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 06:42 PM   #10
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, I was thinking of publishing articles and never considered videos. Should I post videos?
Old 12-27-2020, 06:47 PM   #11
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Self hosted WordPress is likely going to be your best bet as it gives you the most control.

Companies that you are looking for freebies from will typically want to know your audience (Google analytics), socials (probably care more about instagram than others even though instagram is terrible for driving traffic to your blog).

You can also make money from ads (but not much unless you have lots of traffic), or affiliate marketing, or selling stuff after you build an audience.

There about a million and one other travel blogs out there to compete against so if you want to get any kind of audience you really need to define your niche. That could be an area, a place, a specific kind ofa activity or travel, etc. But you'll have a lot more success building an audience and authority in Google's eyes if you have a niche and authority within that niche.

Google is where you will most likely get the majority of your traffic so you will have to research keywords and write with SEO in mind. Pinterest is very good for some bloggers as well.

The heydey of "write a blog, get traffic, and free stuff", has passed a bit. You still can, but it's a lot of work and you're competing against full time bloggers.

You need a variety of skills from tech knowledge (setting up hosting platform, etc), marketing, photography or videography, marketing, SEO, not to mention writing.

I am not a super successful travel blogger as I do it as more of a hobby and beer money, but have a bit of window into what it takes, and like I said, at least I make beer money and have received a few free products. It's also a nice feeling when random people message you saying that your advice was great or your photos are beautiful, etc. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Source: Have Travel Blog.
www.zentravellers.com

Last edited by Torture; 12-27-2020 at 07:05 PM.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2020, 05:48 PM   #12
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

That is a really nice website, wow. Bookmarked it as I've wanted to get into cross country skiing (can't buy or rent in the city right now). Will check out some locations for sure.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2020, 02:37 PM   #13
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
That is a really nice website, wow. Bookmarked it as I've wanted to get into cross country skiing (can't buy or rent in the city right now). Will check out some locations for sure.
Thanks!
Cross country skis are a bit like bikes were in the summer but hopefully you can find a pair. It's great exercise!
Old 12-29-2020, 06:05 PM   #14
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Torture - awesome website.

Your around the world trip looked great. Way to seize the moment.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny199r For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2020, 06:12 PM   #15
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
Torture - awesome website.

Your around the world trip looked great. Way to seize the moment.
Thanks!
It was absolutely incredible, I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
Suh lucky timing in hindsight as well.

Tags
travel blog , travel writing