Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2012, 11:36 AM   #1
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Apple ID problem - looking for help

So I have a friend who is full on Apple convert. Mac, 2 iphone, ipad, ipod(s) etc.

He and his wife are having this issue and since I only have a lowely ipod shuffle and only a Windows 7 computer I cant be much help to them.

Here is there problem, I have basically copied and pasted what they sent me as more info might be better for those that have some knowledge. I am hoping someone on here has had this issue and may know a resolution.

We are having a problem with what I believe is the Apple ID on our Apple products in accessing the Apple Store.

Since purchasing the IMac the email address and I believe the Apple ID were email1@mac.com although email1@me.com surfaces occasionally with some applications (mobile me). In any event, all devices, the IMac, IPad, and an IPhone all seemed to operate well with no significant issues.

About two weeks ago we purchased a second IPhone and I was setting it up with a different email address email2@shaw.ca which worked well for a few days until I believe after running the synch program on the computer the email address just changed to email1@mac.com.

Since that time I have not been able to access the Apple store on any of the devices. When attempting to due so, the wrong password message pops up. I have changed passwords several times trying all devices simultaneously and individually with no success on any. I called the Apple Support line and their advice was to go in and create another ID which scares the hell out of me, so I may try calling the support line again and hope to get a different advisor before trying this.

I called Computer World and they stated that this was an Apple problem with no solution that they were aware of at the present time, as I understood it?

While I have no familiarity with the MacOS I do have some with iTunes on the Windows side, but nothing with more complex apple devices (iphone, ipad) and their relation with iTunes.

As someone who is fairly technically inclined but has no direct interaction with the Mac Ecosystem it sounds as if the best idea would be to first attempt to resolve the Apple ID issue (log into store with username and password) with no device connected. Then possibly wipe all the devices and reconnect them.

The problem seems to be they only have 1 computer but multiple iOS devices which sync. If its possible on Macs (like Windows) I dont think creating a different user profile is a solution that would work with them. I am hesitant to offer the wipe devices solution to them as they may have apps which they paid for and I dont know how getting them back would work.

Last edited by mykalberta; 03-29-2012 at 11:41 AM.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:50 AM   #2
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am not a Mac guy, so I might not be the best help, but we have 2 iphones, an ipad and an ipod between us, so I might be able to give some hints.

Just to clarify, they are now using 2 Apple IDs, and before they were using just 1. One on a few devices and one on a single iPhone. All being synced to iTunes on a single computer. Now that they have added the second Apple ID, things are going wonky.

That sound right to you?
Old 03-29-2012, 12:19 PM   #3
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just 1 apple ID from what I have asked. From chatting with him he setup the second iPhone with the @shaw email address and then after the first full sync, this is when things started to go haywire.

I found this article which indicates using multiple devices but 1 apple ID should work (seems like a possible license violation to me but who knows)

http://gigaom.com/apple/itunes-101-m...tunes-account/
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:22 PM   #4
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can use multiple devices with one Apple ID, but if he set up his phone and entered another email address, I think it created another Apple ID. If he isn't aware of this, then that would obviously be causing problems.

Tags
apple , apple id , itunes store , multiple devices