Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-12-2007, 02:09 PM   #1
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Cleaning hints

Alright, we all have to do this, to some extent anyways. Are there any hints out there to make cleaning easier? Now I know the obvious one is to not do it at all but inevitably it has to get done some time and by some one.

My hint is using newspaper to wipe the Windex off mirrors. No streaks and no fluffy stuff like paper towel leaves behind.

Any homemade concoctions used in place of expensive cleaning products?

red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 02:14 PM   #2
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Oops... please move to off topic forum. I am not used to the main page set-up still
Old 10-12-2007, 02:35 PM   #3
LChoy
First Line Centre

Exp:

The ammonia or cleaner doesn't strip off the news ink and onto the mirror?
Old 10-12-2007, 02:37 PM   #4
Temporary_User
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Get a GF or Wife.

Temporary_User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 02:40 PM   #5
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

This isnt a cheap or homemade hint but I really recommend Easy-Off Bam Degreaser. Its the one with purple and green I believe. The state of the inside of my microwave was, well, quite shocking. Typical bachelor kinda thing. Anyway, I got this stuff, sprayed it in there, let it foam up a bit and wiped the entire thing spotless without scrubbing. I barely had to put any pressure on the cloth and it all came clean just like the commercials. It was one of those rare moments where something actually worked as well as it did on TV.

Also, Method products (I find them at the Shoppers by my house) work great and are apparently not full of harsh chemicals. Their stuff smells good too.
KevanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 02:46 PM   #6
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

For scuff marks and stuff, get a Mr Clean Magic Eraser. When I moved into my house the old people had left the walls in bad shape. My sister told me to buy some erasers, saying "if they showed on TV how well it really works, nobody would buy them because nobody would believe them." Wow, was she right.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 02:47 PM   #7
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Magic Erasers are great. Try wiping your stainless steel sinks with them as well, they work wonders.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 02:50 PM   #8
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoy View Post
The ammonia or cleaner doesn't strip off the news ink and onto the mirror?
Nope, you would think so but it doesn't at all. Give it a shot... seriously, you're not going to have ink smears across your mirror
Old 10-12-2007, 02:54 PM   #9
Ford Prefect
Has Towel, Will Travel

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
For scuff marks and stuff, get a Mr Clean Magic Eraser. When I moved into my house the old people had left the walls in bad shape. My sister told me to buy some erasers, saying "if they showed on TV how well it really works, nobody would buy them because nobody would believe them." Wow, was she right.
Be aware that those Magic Erasers have formaldehyde in them.

My cleaning tip: Dark rum and coke ... and an iPod.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:09 PM   #10
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My cleaning tip: Dark rum and coke ... and an iPod.[/quote]

Gotta have the music, it's the only way... the booze helps too!
Old 10-12-2007, 03:27 PM   #11
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by red sky View Post
Alright, we all have to do this, to some extent anyways. Are there any hints out there to make cleaning easier? Now I know the obvious one is to not do it at all but inevitably it has to get done some time and by some one.

My hint is using newspaper to wipe the Windex off mirrors. No streaks and no fluffy stuff like paper towel leaves behind.

Any homemade concoctions used in place of expensive cleaning products?

Nevermind

Last edited by mykalberta; 10-12-2007 at 03:27 PM. Reason: didnt read above posts
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 03:30 PM   #12
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Coca Cola will remove oil stains from you driveway. It is seriously acidic.

Use a hair dryer to remove labels from wine bottles, before trying immersion in water.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 03:35 PM   #13
BlackEleven
Redundant Minister of Redundancy

Exp:

Anyone else have a glasstop stove? Man that thing is a pain in the ass to clean. I have some stovetop cleaner stuff from Canadian Tire and a razor blade scraper to clean it, but it still takes a bit of elbow grease to get that thing clean. Anyone have a better way?
BlackEleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 03:40 PM   #14
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackEleven View Post
Anyone else have a glasstop stove? Man that thing is a pain in the ass to clean. I have some stovetop cleaner stuff from Canadian Tire and a razor blade scraper to clean it, but it still takes a bit of elbow grease to get that thing clean. Anyone have a better way?
I got some cleaner made specifically for it at Walmart but I forget what it is called. You can also by scrub pads made by the same company... still though, it takes some elbow grease but it seems to work well.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:02 PM   #15
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you want to get the cleanest windows ever, guaranteed no streaks, hardly any wiping, go to Linens n Things and get a product called "Perfect Glass". It is in a black pump container and you can buy refills too. Lasts a long time too.

I first tried it maybe 2 years ago and would never go back to any other product. It is ammonia free. I use either paper towels or those special microfiber cloths and mirrors and windows look like a professional did them. Easy, does the job better than anything I have ever used.

Forgot to add the link for the blurb about it.

http://www.google.com/pagead/iclk?sa...og%26k%3Dglass

Last edited by redforever; 10-12-2007 at 04:18 PM.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 04:08 PM   #16
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Invisible glass is great for cleaning windows. Plus it leaves no streak marks.

Great product! Use it on my house and car windows. Will never use anything else.

Old 10-12-2007, 04:13 PM   #17
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Got the same thing also. I use a product called "Cerama Bryte" plus a special cleaning pad. Works great!
Old 10-12-2007, 04:14 PM   #18
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Geez, what are you doing? you must be letting things boil over and letting them bake on. First and foremost, if something does spill over, clean it immediately before it does bake on.

I have an induction unit, glass ceramic top, does not work the same way as radiant cooktops with ceramic tops though. Anyhow, I RARELY ever have to use anything other than a hot wet dishcloth that is sudsy with soap but if you do want a cleaner, this is what came with mine. In the year that I have had my cooktop, I have only used it twice, and both times, a wee little drop that I gently rubbed with a cloth to remove the spot that I could not remove with normal cleaning.

It is called simply Glass Cook Top Cleaner by Weiman, it is supposed to be the original cooktop cleaner, in a white plastic bottle, about the size of the Jet Dry stuff for dishwashers.

Anyhow, with any cooktop unit, foresight is easier to take care of than hindsight. Wipe spills, splashes and splatters immediately with warm or hot cloth that is sudsy, helps cut the grease and grime. By sudsy, I mean normal dish detergent that you would use to handwash dishes, like Joy, Palmolive, whatever.

I always do this to clean my current or past cooktops. First , warm sudsy dishcloth, not wrung out good, quite a bit of water in it. Wipe cooktop and let soak a minute or two. Now rinse the dishcloth out and wring dry, wipe off sudsy stuff. Repeat if necessary. Now to finish off for a nice shine, rinse that dishcloth thoroughly in hot water to remove all soap, wring out as much water as you can and wipe the cleaned cooktop down, once or twice, depending on how much grease or grime was previously on there.

Here is the easiest hint to stop things like pasta, potatoes etc from boiling over. Add a teaspoon of butter or oil to the water. Butter works better, but oil is not bad. And once things come to a boil, turn them down immediately. Most things only require top heat to bring to a boil, then you can turn down the heat and cook at some other desired setting.

http://www.drillspot.com/products/30...ok-Top-Cleaner

Last edited by redforever; 10-13-2007 at 04:44 PM.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 04:19 PM   #19
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Got the same thing also. I use a product called "Cerama Bryte" plus a special cleaning pad. Works great!
That's what my wife uses. Man I caught hell for spilling my famous spaghetti sauce on the cooktop and trying to clean it with a wet dish rag last night. How dare I!
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 04:28 PM   #20
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
That's what my wife uses. Man I caught hell for spilling my famous spaghetti sauce on the cooktop and trying to clean it with a wet dish rag last night. How dare I!
You too eh? Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned