Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-15-2018, 10:47 PM   #21
Superfraggle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
Doesn't matter because he stinks too much offensively to even do anything worthwhile most of the time.
Kind of important to have control of the puck when your goal is empty and/or you're trying to attack for the last goal.
Superfraggle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Superfraggle For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2018, 10:47 PM   #22
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovaz View Post
Guys... did you watch the game?

He didn't get any powerplay time, played a grand total of 10:02, and went 90% on the draw. He came out for 15 seconds late in the game to win a draw, won it, and then got off.

I get that we're pissed about that game, but Derek Ryan wasn't the problem tonight.
I agree with your post but I think what frustrates a lot of us is that Ryan has been given a longer leash than say a guy like Czarnik who is heralded as a more offensive guy.

Reading your post made me happy because that is exactly what I want out of him. Win a ton of draws, play a sound defensive game and, although he hasn't done this yet, chip in offensively every few games.

To be fair not a lot of our forwards outside of the top 5 are contributing much offensively either.

If he keeps playing solid defensively and winning draws I don't mind him on the team but like others have said if you make $3m + you need to chip in some points.

It's unfortunate because I think Czarnik should be given more time in the lineup but I have a hard time of thinking of anyone other than Ryan or Hathaway to sub him in for. Hathaway has been good and Ryan is not a guy that should be sitting, given his contract and expectations.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:51 PM   #23
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfraggle View Post
Kind of important to have control of the puck when your goal is empty.
I'm not talking about that, I'm talking about Derek Ryan being so crappy offensively and how his ineptness there a lot of the time causes him to kill many of his lines offensive opportunities.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:53 PM   #24
Superfraggle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
I'm not talking about that, I'm talking about Derek Ryan being so crappy offensively and how his ineptness there a lot of the time causes him to kill many of his lines offensive opportunities.
Oh. I thought when Jiri said he was in to win the draw and you said that didn't matter that you were saying it didn't matter that he won the draw.
Superfraggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 11:19 PM   #25
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not surprised fans are not happy with him. It was a bad signing from day 1 and he will be lucky to survive the Treliving buyout in year 3
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 11:28 PM   #26
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ryan did his job in the dot with the goalie pulled
Old 11-15-2018, 11:51 PM   #27
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Guys... did you watch the game?

He didn't get any powerplay time, played a grand total of 10:02, and went 90% on the draw. He came out for 15 seconds late in the game to win a draw, won it, and then got off.

I get that we're pissed about that game, but Derek Ryan wasn't the problem tonight.
I definitely saw him on the second PP.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 12:05 AM   #28
Kovaz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
I definitely saw him on the second PP.
http://www.shiftchart.com/game/2018-...nadiens-flames

Our second unit was Neal-Czarnik-Bennett-Backlund-Hanifin. Ryan didn't step foot on the ice.
Kovaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kovaz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2018, 12:38 AM   #29
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
http://www.shiftchart.com/game/2018-...nadiens-flames

Our second unit was Neal-Czarnik-Bennett-Backlund-Hanifin. Ryan didn't step foot on the ice.
I was at the game and screamed “Why the #### is he on the PP” and got a dirty look from the old woman in front of me. Don’t care what that website says. He was definitely out there with Bennett and Neal at one point on the PP.
Old 11-16-2018, 12:45 AM   #30
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
I was at the game and screamed “Why the #### is he on the PP” and got a dirty look from the old woman in front of me. Don’t care what that website says. He was definitely out there with Bennett and Neal at one point on the PP.
Your eyes deceived you.

I went back and watched the Flames' one powerplay of the game, which started at 2:25 of the second.

2:25 - personnel: Neal, Czarnik, Bennett, Hanifin, Backlund
~3:20 - personnel change: Gaudreau, Monahan, Lindholm, Giordano, Tkachuk
3:43 - goal (Tkachuk)

Ryan never set foot on the ice during the powerplay. The dirty look you received was warranted.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2018, 12:50 AM   #31
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Your eyes deceived you.

I went back and watched the Flames' one powerplay of the game, which started at 2:25 of the second.

2:25 - personnel: Neal, Czarnik, Bennett, Hanifin, Backlund
~3:20 - personnel change: Gaudreau, Monahan, Lindholm, Giordano, Tkachuk
3:43 - goal (Tkachuk)

Ryan never set foot on the ice during the powerplay. The dirty look you received was warranted.
It was in the second period. Faceoff in Montreal’s zone. Maybe I’m wrong though.
Ryan is turning into my Brouwer.
Old 11-16-2018, 12:52 AM   #32
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
It was in the second period. Faceoff in Montreal’s zone. Maybe I’m wrong though.
The Flames' one powerplay was in the second period and its one faceoff, in Montreal's zone, was taken by Czarnik.

I can see why Ryan could become your Brouwer, although he has a defensive game that Brouwer certainly didn't possess. Also, remember when Brouwer lost three-consecutive faceoffs to Buffalo? I don't think that'd happen to Ryan.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 01:16 AM   #33
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly I think he’s been a worse player and a bigger disappointment than James Neal. He just has a better contract so it’s easier to stomach.

At least with Neal I feel like he can and will turn it around. Ryan just looks lost out there. Doesn’t win a lot of battles either. Decent enough 4th liner that can sit a game every once in a while to rotate the other scratches in but that’s about it.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 01:30 AM   #34
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

As of right own Ryan is a bad signing at 3 million plus for three years. I never liked it from the beginning, based on what I saw when he was with the Canes, as well as the usage he got whilst playing there.

I'm sure there were many teams interested in speaking with his agent when he became a UFA this summer. But I truly doubt many were willing to give him 3 million plus. That combined with the Peters connection ensured the contract would be done with the flames. He is a 2 million dollar player max.
soulchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 07:24 AM   #35
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's definitely overpaid for what he's providing but I think winning faceoffs is something this team has needed improvement in and he's brought that. Pretty low event player and that's not necessarily a bad thing. Still I'm a little miffed at how he managed to score 15 goals and 38 points last season based on what I have seen from him to date. He's probably the most invisible player I have seen this year when it comes to offensive zone scoring opportunities.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:08 AM   #36
Travis Munroe
Realtor®

Exp:

It could be game 7 of the stanley cup and we could have the worst player in the league out with 1:30 left to take the draw if he was our best faceoff guy for that scenario.

There are 5 other guys who all have their own roles and Ryan has done great at filling his specific role all season long.

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:26 AM   #37
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Not surprised fans are not happy with him. It was a bad signing from day 1 and he will be lucky to survive the Treliving buyout in year 3
Treliving may not be around for that scenario if he doesn't find a solution to his continual goaltending carousel that is now somehow the worst it has been yet during his tenure.

Ryan is overpaid by 1M on his AAV and at least a year of term IMO. That is pretty valuable to a team that needs to be extending Tkachuk and possibly shelling out for an adequate goalie sooner than later.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 11-16-2018 at 08:29 AM.
Hot_Flatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:27 AM   #38
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Derek Ryan is the least of this team's worries. He's doing exactly what is expected of him.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:31 AM   #39
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm too lazy to look at his ATOI but I don't think he plays that often. Like you don't see him out there with Monahan and Gaudreau or Tkachuk and Backlund. Seems to me he is being used as a bottom 6 player?
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:34 AM   #40
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe he is, since Brouwer's use on GG's power play (especially the first unit) is hugely exaggerated.

On an ENG play, I'm less concerned about having super creative guys than I am about maintaining puck possession and creating chaos in front of the net. Extra man goals are rarely pretty plays. They are stuff-ins with the puck boucning around crazily and the goalie scrambling for position. If Ryan can win the faceoff and then stay in front tying up a defender and screening the goalie, that's as good as, say, Backlund/Bennett/Czarnik/Frolik is going to do.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote