Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-05-2018, 01:32 PM   #281
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm fine with the out of play rules and actually think they could be more stringent.

I think if the ref deems a player shot a puck rather than deflected it out of play, regardless of the zone, it should be treated like an icing; a defensive zone faceoff with no line changes.

All of the rules put into place to emphasize skill have made the game much more entertaining to watch. Penalizing low still plays like dumping the puck into the stands to relieve the pressure should be part of that. The NFL penalizes it with intentional grounding and to me, they are very similar.

The situation where toews intentionally delayed the game in order to end a legal 1 man strength advantage should be against the rules. That was a delay of game in the truest sense of the term.

Why is that rewarded?
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 01:33 PM   #282
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
One of the big issues when this penalty was introduced was that the tall glass at the ends of the ice did not extend the same distance along the half boards in every arena. That meant that the same clearing attempt could go off the glass and stay in play in one place, and over the glass for a penalty in another. Even people who liked the penalty were complaining about that.

I imagine that problem was fixed long ago, but I don't recall hearing anything about it.

My own position, for what little it's worth, is that if you can get a two-minute penalty for putting the puck out of play, and a two-minute penalty for inflicting a concussion on an opposing player, something is seriously out of whack with the rules. If the punishment fits one offence, it most certainly doesn't fit the other.
How often does that happen? If a player is seriously injured as the result of a predatory and dangerous hit, does the offending player not often get a major and possibly a game misconduct? In the rare cases where a player is concussed on a minor penalty or no penalty, it's usually accidental in nature and therefore must be accepted as a risk of the game.

And furthermore, we saw with the Matheson suspension on the hit to Petterson earlier this year that the league has no problem dispensing additional discipline should a player be injured on a "no call" during the game. Basically, even if the ref misses it or gets it wrong, the league is still managing the dangerous plays.

I'm not sure your statement holds up to be honest.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 01:34 PM   #283
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
On the note of delay of game, what's to stop the league from making glass taller? I'm becoming less interested in hockey as the years go by and I try to watch from the eyes of a casual fan and see what kills the flow and excitement.

Two things stand way out: Icing and puck out of play stoppages. I'm assuming a safety issue with huge panes of glass, but I'd like to see some experimentation with an extra foot or two all around. Keep the game flowing as much as humanly possible.
They could make the netting in play. Exciting!
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 02:24 PM   #284
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I imagine if you put a small lip on the inside of the glass at the top (6-12 inches) it would probably keep most out pucks in play.

That said I don’t find it really happens often enough to justify it. Icings aren’t as bad anymore either, but i can see why a casual fan would be confused/frustrated with the rule.
Old 11-05-2018, 02:29 PM   #285
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
I imagine if you put a small lip on the inside of the glass at the top (6-12 inches) it would probably keep most out pucks in play.

That said I don’t find it really happens often enough to justify it. Icings aren’t as bad anymore either, but i can see why a casual fan would be confused/frustrated with the rule.
I confess to being a little frustrated with the linesmen's generosity about icings (both in interpreting a pass that hops over a stick or between legs but isn't received well as an icing or in giving the defenceman skating back the benefit of the doubt).
Old 11-06-2018, 09:12 AM   #286
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:
Default FLAMES WIN! 5-3 over Chicago

Inappropriate joke. Apologies.

Last edited by heep223; 11-06-2018 at 09:22 AM.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to heep223 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2018, 09:15 AM   #287
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
Remove the netting altogether. Nothing like being forced to pay attention to the game like the threat of a 100mph piece of rubber hitting your child in the head.
You do remember why there's netting, right?
Old 11-06-2018, 09:16 AM   #288
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
You do remember why there's netting, right?

Whoosh
Old 11-06-2018, 09:17 AM   #289
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Whoosh
I didn't know if you recalled that accident, the way you hypothesized.
Old 11-06-2018, 09:18 AM   #290
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
I didn't know if you recalled that accident, the way you hypothesized.

Was there a specific accident? I thought it was just generally a safety precaution as pucks are shot harder now.
Old 11-06-2018, 09:19 AM   #291
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Was there a specific accident? I thought it was just generally a safety precaution as pucks are shot harder now.
Flames Bluejackets. Girl with her dad for her birthday took a puck to the head and died.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 09:21 AM   #292
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Wow I had no idea. That is horrible.
Old 11-06-2018, 09:22 AM   #293
LostCatalyst
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Yeah a 13 yr old girl died in Columbus. Netting came very quickly afterwards
LostCatalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LostCatalyst For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2018, 09:22 AM   #294
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Flames Bluejackets. Girl with her dad for her birthday took a puck to the head and died.
Yeah, I was hoping Heep wasn't referencing that as a joke and I'm glad to be correct.
Old 11-06-2018, 09:44 AM   #295
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
I confess to being a little frustrated with the linesmen's generosity about icings (both in interpreting a pass that hops over a stick or between legs but isn't received well as an icing or in giving the defenceman skating back the benefit of the doubt).
I've patiently waited for years for a simple change to the icing rules that to me seems obvious.

It's no longer icing if you fire the puck the distance from the neutral zone, only from within your own zone behind the blueline.

What teams are under pressure in the neutral zone that requires them to ice the puck to relieve said pressure?

Make that change and you get less hopping over stick icing calls, the game speeds up a bit, and you get an interesting opportunity to forecheck on the fly with speed.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2018, 09:47 AM   #296
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I've patiently waited for years for a simple change to the icing rules that to me seems obvious.

It's no longer icing if you fire the puck the distance from the neutral zone, only from within your own zone behind the blueline.

What teams are under pressure in the neutral zone that requires them to ice the puck to relieve said pressure?

Make that change and you get less hopping over stick icing calls, the game speeds up a bit, and you get an interesting opportunity to forecheck on the fly with speed.
I guess as long as there's no injury risk from the chases, like when MacInnis got hurt.
Old 11-06-2018, 09:51 AM   #297
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post

What teams are under pressure in the neutral zone that requires them to ice the puck to relieve said pressure?.
Teams needing a line change. In particular, in the 2nd period.
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2018, 10:04 AM   #298
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Teams needing a line change. In particular, in the 2nd period.
True, though they could skate over the blue line and "accidentally" fire the puck out of play without repercussion as it stands now. If it's too obvious it's delay of game, though.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:12 AM   #299
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
True, though they could skate over the blue line and "accidentally" fire the puck out of play without repercussion as it stands now. If it's too obvious it's delay of game, though.
Easier said than done. Much easier to fire it down the ice.
Old 11-06-2018, 09:02 PM   #300
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
How often does that happen? If a player is seriously injured as the result of a predatory and dangerous hit, does the offending player not often get a major and possibly a game misconduct?
I've often seen players sustain ‘upper body injuries’ from incidents that were penalized with nothing more than two minutes for roughing, charging, high-sticking, or what have you. The fact that the injuries were not premeditated doesn't take away from the fact that those plays are illegal precisely because of the risk of injury. The injury does not often happen – but it does happen.

I don't see any equation in potential harm, or in effect on play, of a physical foul and a puck shot out of bounds.

Here's a wild suggestion: Perhaps the game needs some form of punishment intermediate between a minor penalty and the faceoff after icing. When a player shoots the puck out of play in the defending zone, his team gets the unfair advantage of a faceoff – that is, a 50-50 chance of getting out of trouble by taking possession away from the opposing team. Suppose we take away the faceoff in such circumstances. The referees could simply award possession to the non-infringing team, and they could skate the puck in from centre ice while the infringing team have to line up behind their own blue line. It would as nearly as possible restore the game to the situation as it was before the infraction occurred.

It would be a fairly large innovation, but no more so than the introduction of the shootout or 3-on-3 overtime. Anyway, just spitballing here. Many other solutions could doubtless be devised.