Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-22-2018, 11:09 AM   #201
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Anton Forsberg on waivers today. Wasn't he the one that followed the Flames on Instagram or something along those lines, sparking a (very) minor concern/interest that he might be headed our way?

Nowhere to put him now, but thought it was interesting.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2018, 12:11 PM   #202
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper24 View Post
Mike Smith will be fine. He was our MVP (maybe co-MVP with Gaudreau) last season, made the all-star game and we would have made playoffs if we didn't get hurt. He's consistently .915 SV% goalie the last 5+ years. He's a legit starting goalie.

The issue this season is the odd man breaks against. You eliminate those and Smith gets better.

The post should be who does Treliving target as potential replacement for Mike Smith this summer for next season. Do we keep Smith on short term contract extension (maybe, if trade or UFA aren't best options), are Rittich/Gillies ready to step in as full time starters (my answer is no), who on the market can we get via trade or UFA (haven't looked at options but seems most likely). A lot of question marks next season for goalie, which worries me.
goalies, like all pro athletes, eventually hit a wall. Smith looks terrible so far. He is a gamer, and I agree was outstanding last year prior to the injury (truly outstanding), but he has let in a bunch of soft goals this year and looks more like the guy we saw post injury than the guy before it.

I have serious concerns based on what I've seen this year (1 good game in 6?). We aren't going to the playoffs if he doesn't get significantly better.
Duffalufagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 12:16 PM   #203
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

25 years old, 2.97 .908 in 35 games for the Chicago Blackhawks last season.
$800,000 RFA next year.
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 12:25 PM   #204
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

nm
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 02:09 PM   #205
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol I would waive smith to pick up Forsberg
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 02:12 PM   #206
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
I don’t get this thread. It was posted after the Nashville game where Smith wasn’t at fault on any of the goals.

Short term we don’t need to replace Smith.

Long term we’re hopefully replacing Smith with one or more of Rittich, Gillies and Parsons. Those are our goalies of the future.

All this talk of trading significant assets for old goalies is totally misplaced IMO

I hate that excuse. Yes, he wasn’t purely at fault for any goals but good goaltenders in the league will give you a save when you have a breakdown. Smith sure hasn’t been giving the team a lot of those. Had he made just one, we could’ve at least gotten the Nashville game to OT. Look at Rittich last night, he made at least 4 or 5.
Old 10-22-2018, 02:13 PM   #207
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Lol I would waive smith to pick up Forsberg

Smith is not doing well but Forsberg is even worse. Might as well play more of Rittich and see if he’s just a flash in the pan or not, as at the very least Smith can be a capable 1B.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 02:56 PM   #208
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

If we can't go with Smith anymore, I think Rittich should be the new guy. Not because I know anything about goaltending or how he would do as a full time starter.

But based on a sample size of 2 so far this year, every time he starts we get an amazing gif!
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 12:30 PM   #209
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Beyond the gif potential, there is the fact that he has other quirks. I know Patrick Roy never skated over the lines on the ice, he would step over them.

Rittich, I’m sure some of the folks here have seen, likes to take a puck off the mask before starting. He got dinged in the mask once before a 36 save shutout in Stockton, then the next game didn’t get dinged and let in 5.

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-goalies...ns/c-294649806

Quote:
Each time Rittich is scheduled to start, Sigalet meets him near center ice at the end of the pregame skate and does his best to put two shots off his mask.

"[He] just crouches down and puts his head down and I flip them straight up at his cage pretty hard. As soon as I get the second one, he gives me a high-five and skates off the ice," Sigalet said. "It usually takes me about six shots to get him twice, depending how accurate I am that day."
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 08:11 PM   #210
TheOnlyBilko
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Played well with no pressure when they were out of it...jury is still out on him being a "franchise goalie"

The 2 teams that have the least amount of goals again st so far this year? Arizona and NJ. Both teams have let in only 20 goals. For ccomparison Calgary has let in 41 goals so far this year.
TheOnlyBilko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 11:17 AM   #211
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

https://twitter.com/ChartingHockey/s...76023846879234

Apparently, Rittich is saving the Flames about 1(.05) goals against per game. That's pretty helpful. The Flames won by 1 goal in OT against Colorado and Buffalo.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 11:20 AM   #212
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Beyond the gif potential, there is the fact that he has other quirks. I know Patrick Roy never skated over the lines on the ice, he would step over them.

Rittich, I’m sure some of the folks here have seen, likes to take a puck off the mask before starting. He got dinged in the mask once before a 36 save shutout in Stockton, then the next game didn’t get dinged and let in 5.

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-goalies...ns/c-294649806
pfff!...and you guys are criticizing Sigalet's coaching ablilities...
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stanley For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2018, 08:37 PM   #213
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whoever it is, Smith absolutely cannot be the regular starter from the team from here on out. Peters is undermining his team by giving up the #1 role.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 08:49 PM   #214
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

I get the stats, the save percentages the goals against averages.

I get it.

The eye test? Smith is one of the worst starters in the league. If he isn’t replaced soon, we miss the playoffs with him.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 08:56 PM   #215
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Joshua "Insider" Marshall has an "idea"

https://twitter.com/user/status/1058188464825323520

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2018, 09:03 PM   #216
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Joshua "Insider" Marshall has an "idea"

https://twitter.com/user/status/1058188464825323520
Ewwwwww, no thanks.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 09:12 PM   #217
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

Can't see it, what is it?
Old 11-01-2018, 09:14 PM   #218
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricosuave View Post
Can't see it, what is it?

Apparently the Flames reached out to Steve Mason. Don't think I believe it, but he can't be any worse...
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 09:49 PM   #219
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Give Rittich the starter role for awhile and anyone else can be back up except Smith.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 10:02 PM   #220
T-Dog
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Would anyone be in favour of trading for a goalie that is currently third in the league with a save percentage of .938 and fifth in the league in goals against with a 2.08? Wait...that's the easiest trade ever because he's sitting on our bench and is our backup! As others have said, it's a small sample size but Rittich has definitely shown enough that their roles need to be reversed and he is the starter and Smith is the back-up. If Rittich shows that he can't handle being the #1 and/or Smith shows he can't handle being the back-up, then we look at a trade.
T-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to T-Dog For This Useful Post: