Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 08:07 PM   #1
Crumpy-Gunt
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Patrick Kane is a Johnny Gaudreau fan.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2016/09/18...aus-abilities?

He's worth 10m because of this, easily

Quote:
Anyone who has followed Johnny Gaudreau’s career is keenly aware of the comparisons to his idol, Patrick Kane.

What they don’t know is Kane not only sees the similarities, he sees a few attributes he wished he possessed.

“I guess everyone wants to say we’re similar players because of our size and we’re both guys that produce offence, but he does some things I wish I could do,” said Chicago’s three-time Stanley Cup winner.

“He’s a guy that’s just unbelievable on his edges – a little bit like (Blackhawks teammate Artemi) Panarin in that sense, where he can turn on a dime and lose his defenceman pretty quick. He’s such a good skater that even though he’s a smaller player he doesn’t really find himself getting caught in bad situations where he can get hit or knocked off the puck.

“What an entertaining player to watch. He’s one of the few players around the league where you could go to a hockey game and pay just to see that one player.”

They are the type of observations Calgarians have made about the 5-foot-9, 157-pound dynamo the last two years.

But to hear it from the mouth of the reigning scoring champ and Hart Trophy winner demonstrates just how big time Johnny Hockey has become.

And with a significant showing at the World Cup of hockey the legend could continue to grow.

Last edited by Iowa_Flames_Fan; 09-19-2016 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Can't post whole articles
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Crumpy-Gunt For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2016, 08:07 PM   #2
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Holy Toledo. What's with all of the strikethrough text?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2016, 08:08 PM   #3
Crumpy-Gunt
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Woops, wrong spoiler.
Old 09-18-2016, 10:01 PM   #4
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

"but he does some things I wish I could do,” said Chicago’s three-time Stanley Cup winner.

That is quite the compliment. Gaudreau is quickly becoming a league wide favorite.
Old 09-18-2016, 10:10 PM   #5
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
“What an entertaining player to watch. He’s one of the few players around the league where you could go to a hockey game and pay just to see that one player.”
For me there are currently three Flames players that are worth the price of admission. These being Brodie, Gaudreau, and Giordano. Of course out of town fans may not see it my way as it takes more for defencemen to get the recognition.
Old 09-18-2016, 10:32 PM   #6
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
"but he does some things I wish I could do,” said Chicago’s three-time Stanley Cup winner.

That is quite the compliment. Gaudreau is quickly becoming a league wide favorite.
Yep, this world cup of hockey coverage is the most painfully awkward example yet that hockey broadcasts go in with a narrative and find examples to push that narrative instead of just letting the biggest stories be the biggest stories.

McDavid!! Matthews!!!

*Johnny starts off strong, being the best player on the team, drawing ooohs from the crowd every time he touches the puck, while Matthews and McDavid remain alright but not outstanding

McDavid!! Matthews!!
Old 09-19-2016, 06:20 AM   #7
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Hefty praise from of the the league's top players. This is only the beginning.
Old 09-19-2016, 07:54 AM   #8
Demaeon
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Yep, this world cup of hockey coverage is the most painfully awkward example yet that hockey broadcasts go in with a narrative and find examples to push that narrative instead of just letting the biggest stories be the biggest stories.

McDavid!! Matthews!!!

*Johnny starts off strong, being the best player on the team, drawing ooohs from the crowd every time he touches the puck, while Matthews and McDavid remain alright but not outstanding

McDavid!! Matthews!!
My favourite moment so far was during the video intro to the NA/Finland game where they had to shoehorn in a comment about how watching the tournament feels like a video game, so that they could include a clip of McDavid scoring on Team Europe.
The Following User Says Thank You to Demaeon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2016, 08:27 AM   #9
alan21
Don't click that link!

Exp:

He's trying to drive up his price and screw us!!!

GET HIM!!!!!!
Old 09-19-2016, 09:02 AM   #10
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 09-19-2016, 09:13 AM   #11
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

But BT better not pay him $750k too much.. Ugh..

8x8.. Just get it done.

Oh and lol at anyone who thought the WCH wouldnt cement his position on what he thinks he should be paid and it impact the negotiations.

The world (prolly just Canadians watching really) is watching Johnny become arguably the best of the best of the U23's in the league over how many 1st overall picks?

Last edited by IgiTang; 09-19-2016 at 10:01 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IgiTang For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2016, 01:15 PM   #12
kingkahuna
Backup Goalie

Exp:

After last summer hopefully not too big of a fan.
The Following User Says Thank You to kingkahuna For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2016, 01:20 PM   #13
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkahuna View Post
After last summer hopefully not too big of a fan.
She said no?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2016, 01:46 PM   #14
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post

8x8.. Just get it done.

Oh and lol at anyone who thought the WCH wouldnt cement his position on what he thinks he should be paid and it impact the negotiations.

The world (prolly just Canadians watching really) is watching Johnny become arguably the best of the best of the U23's in the league over how many 1st overall picks?
This is why there is no contract. Because JG wants superstar $$$. And he'll get them.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Old 09-20-2016, 06:27 PM   #15
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Brent Burns' son is awesome

Quote:
“Johnny Gaudreau is my little guy’s favourite player,” smiled the wonderfully bearded Burns.

“It’s been a sticking point in our house lately because when we play Calgary, he cheers for the Flames. He wants to go to Calgary to cheer them on. I said, ‘I don’t think that’s going to happen, bud.’ I have to talk to him about it and straighten him out a bit.”

http://www.calgarysun.com/2016/09/20...ohnny-gaudreau

Last edited by Huntingwhale; 09-20-2016 at 06:34 PM.
Old 09-20-2016, 06:35 PM   #16
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post

8x8.. Just get it done.

Oh and lol at anyone who thought the WCH wouldnt cement his position on what he thinks he should be paid and it impact the negotiationA
Lol at anyone that thinks a 2 game sample size has any relevance on what is likely to be a 6 to 8 year deal
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2016, 06:42 PM   #17
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
When is Burns a FA ? Haha.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Monahan For Mayor For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2016, 06:43 PM   #18
Gaudreauvertime
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
Lol at anyone that thinks a 2 game sample size has any relevance on what is likely to be a 6 to 8 year deal
I've seen people argue how big game performances increase the value of a player. Through 5 games, Johnny has been his team's best player, on a team with five 1st overall picks.

That, coupled with the fact that he scored at an 81 point pace last season, is a pretty strong argument for not paying him like a 60-70 point winger.
Old 09-20-2016, 06:46 PM   #19
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudreauvertime View Post
I've seen people argue how big game performances increase the value of a player. Through 5 games, Johnny has been his team's best player, on a team with five 1st overall picks.

That, coupled with the fact that he scored at an 81 point pace last season, is a pretty strong argument for not paying him like a 60-70 point winger.
I don't think exhibition games, in a pre-season tournament, constitute big games
Old 09-20-2016, 06:48 PM   #20
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
For me there are currently three Flames players that are worth the price of admission. These being Brodie, Gaudreau, and Giordano. Of course out of town fans may not see it my way as it takes more for defencemen to get the recognition.
I don't mean any offence, and I love the players you mentioned, but there is no way Brodie and Giordano are worth the price of admission. I hate to say it, but there were very few games of Jerome in his prime where he was worth the price.

The term in my opinion is usually reserved for those superstars who elevate the game beyond pretty much any other player.

Johnny has the entire dome up and down in their seats when he has the puck. He makes the game so much better to watch than any other player on the team. Without a doubt he is worth the price of admission.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nage Waza For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread