Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2018, 04:01 PM   #21
flamesforcup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

A small cold streak from Gaudreau doesn't change his resume. It's weird how little respect he gets from our own fans. I love Tkachuk but i think its pretty easily Johnny and no way Tkachuk finishes with more points than him.
flamesforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flamesforcup For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2018, 04:08 PM   #22
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know exactly what order I'd rank them in, but how nice is it to have the 4 of them and they're all 25 or younger.

Combine that with Hanifin (21), Valimaki (19), Andersson (21) and Kylington (21), if they can find a legit prime age starting NHL goaltender, that core is going to keep this team a legit threat for at least the next half decade.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 04:13 PM   #23
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

1) Gaudreau
2) Tkachuk
3) Lindholm
4) Bennett
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 04:19 PM   #24
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

Johnny is still the offensive dynamo on the team, but in terms of overall value to the team I think Tkachuk is right up there too. I'd put both Lindholm and Monahan a step lower down the ladder, with Lindholm having a slight edge if he can keep pace with Monahan for goals over the course of the season.

In terms of potential, I think Monahan has pretty much peaked. Lindholm is realizing his potential now with better linemates than he's had in the past. Johnny could likely up his point totals significantly if the Flames could figure out how to run a power play, but otherwise he's reached cruising altitude too. Tkachuk is about to turn 21, so he should still have some bulking to do and a few more years of upward trajectory.

All that to say, I think I'd rank them:

1. Gaudreau
2. Tkachuk
3. Monahan
4. Lindholm

Two years from now though could be a totally different story.

As far as Tkachuk's next contract is concerned, I don't see him in the 8+ range. If any Flames player was likely to get there, it was Johnny during his last negotiation. But I'm sure it will be worth at least what Johnny's getting paid, and wouldn't be surprised at a shorter contract for $7 mil average.
flylock shox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 04:20 PM   #25
LWcrowfoot
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
1) Gaudreau
2) Tkachuk
3) Lindholm
4) Bennett
This is attention seeking behaviour
LWcrowfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to LWcrowfoot For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2018, 04:29 PM   #26
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

so then why give it attention?
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2018, 06:00 PM   #27
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
1) Gaudreau
2) Tkachuk
3) Lindholm
4) Bennett
You should write for theScore
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2018, 05:40 AM   #28
Mitt31
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoller View Post

We're probably looking at 9+ for his next contract. Say goodbye to the Gio cap

Have faith in BT that he can talk Chucky down like Johnny and keep the cap at Gio pay so the flames can get even more talent on the roster and create a dynasty.

And have faith in Chucky that he fully wants a dynasty here and not just to be the highest paid player

"I'll have to photocopy that for my kids.
One day, I'll be trying to talk hockey and they'll be saying, 'The game has passed you by, dad.' I'll be able to say, 'Ovechkin's on it, and he's still lighting it up.' " - Jarome Iginla
Mitt31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 07:25 AM   #29
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I don't know, Lindholm has 4 game winning goals this year so far, some of them supper clutch or at the buzzer. I don't know how I would order them, but if Lindholm can be this teams "eliminator" ala Marty G, then he's going to be near the top of the heap before too long.
FlamesFanTrev is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlamesFanTrev For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2018, 07:30 AM   #30
kman35ca
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I still think Johnny is our best player. His edge work, vision, IQ and passing allowing him to be so elusiveness, and embarrassing top defenders in the league is not just good, it's Elite. I'd go as far to say he would be a top 3 in the league play maker when he's dancin, as Gio says. And if he can work on his shot, especially a faster release, he can still get better. And doing this at his size is special.

Tkachuk's IQ is top notch, and he can protect the puck better down low than most. Great passer, and his shot is a lot better this year. That one timer the other game surprised me. Plus his defensive game, and his Chit disturbing nature drawing penalties is awesome,lol! He's still living in Oiler fans heads days after the game. Plus his maturity and leadership is off the charts for a 20 year old. Damn, after typing this, I almost want to say him and JH are on par for what they bring to the game.

Monahan has that special vision/IQ to read the play at a high level, and put himself in the right place at the right time. And his shot is very accurate, and his release is fast. Even though he doesn't get much velocity on his shot, he just scores. Plus he's a clutch scorer, who has a knack of scoring when we need a goal. I think his passing, while not elite, is pretty damn good when he's on. I can also see why he's over looked by some fans and people who don't follow the Flames. He does have a kind of awkward look to his game, and doesn't stand out during plays. Until out of nowhere you see the puck go in the net on a fast pass to the slot and he's celebrating.

Lindholm so far seems like a steal of a deal off that trade. He's got a well rounded game. Great 200 ft game, great one timer, and he has some grit as well. All for a 6 year deal under 5 million! If he keeps it up, and scores 70 points, man that will be a coup for BT. He could easily move up in the list given he keeps this level of play up.

And I hate even bringing this up, but I honestly believe if Bennett get's his confidence back fully, and works on that shot, a lot, we could end up with another really good top 6 player. He's improved his play this year tremendously. And seems to have matured and accepted he's not going to be scoring 80 plus, and be our 1# center. But I think we are on the cusp of seeing him become a real good player, and a real scoring threat.
Part of me hopes he waits till next season to break out, so we can get him on a team friendly deal.
I think guys who play his type of game always take longer to develop, look at Bertuzzi, Nealy, etc. I could be totally wrong, but a kid who comes into the league at 18, and has the success he had the first year, I think he still has that in him. I think GG stunted his development, with bad deployment, and set him up to fail. And yes, Bennett has his share of responsibility.
kman35ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 08:12 AM   #31
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

the way I see it for our top 6 forwards:

Tkachuk/Gaudreau( Wash, Chucky affects the flow of the game more but Johnny has crazy high O-zone awareness)
Monny/Lindholm( Wash, both great scorers, Lindholm is better at a distance but Monny is lights out below the hash marks)
Backlund
Bennett
Flames1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 08:27 AM   #32
goflamesgo18
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoller View Post
I think it's pretty clear at this point that Tkachuk is the best player on the Flames and deserves to be the highest paid.

We're probably looking at 9+ for his next contract. Say goodbye to the Gio cap

I would say Tkachuk's passing skills are the 2nd best on the team, behind Johnny. But his shot is significantly better than Gaudreau. Obviously Tkachuck has a lot of other intangibles that put him over Gaudreau. For one I think his puck protection is the best on the team, especially on the boards.

But it's Tkachuck's hockey IQ that is probably tops on the team.

We saw glimpses of this from his last year but he has really taken a step this year.

I agree Tkachuk is number 1. I have a feeling he signs for less than everyone expects. Given who his dad is and the fact that money never has or never will be an issue in his life. Factor that in with his character and attitude to winning. I think the deal he signs surprises everyone.

Just a guess though.
goflamesgo18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 08:45 AM   #33
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by goflamesgo18 View Post
I agree Tkachuk is number 1. I have a feeling he signs for less than everyone expects. Given who his dad is and the fact that money never has or never will be an issue in his life. Factor that in with his character and attitude to winning. I think the deal he signs surprises everyone.

Just a guess though.
I have no idea if he will sign for less, but his dad is not a factor which reduces his ask. His dad was notorious for driving hard bargains as a player, inclduing a Yashin-like holdout (in other words, not just refusing to sign an RFA contract like Nylander - he had a contract and didn't play). Has he mellowed? Maybe, but I doubt to the point he's advising Matt to be easier to negotiate with.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 08:46 AM   #34
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Just a guess though.

Keith was notorious for getting paid though. Hopefully it is different for Matthew.

I still think Monahan gets undersold here. On his tying goal he was all over the puck and kept the cycle going in the O-zone.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 08:54 AM   #35
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
Keith was notorious for getting paid though. Hopefully it is different for Matthew.

I still think Monahan gets undersold here. On his tying goal he was all over the puck and kept the cycle going in the O-zone.
Oh, I agree that Matthew may sign for a decent amount. I think his own attitude, plus the fact that his position in the team as top dog is debateable as long as Gaudreau and Gio are around, plus Treliving's talent at contracts, are huge factors. I just don't think who his dad is is a factor which lowers the amount. It is at best not a factor and at worst a negative one.
Old 11-19-2018, 09:00 AM   #36
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Matthew Tkachuk 20 years old, signing a new long term contract 7-8 years?

Elias Lindholm 23 years old, currently signed for 6 years.

(Hounorable mention: Mikael Backlund 29 years old, currently signed for 6 years.)

Sean Monahan 24 years old, currently signed for 5 years.

Johnny Gaudreau 25 years old, currently signed for 4 years.

Last edited by David Struch; 11-19-2018 at 09:27 AM.
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 10:31 AM   #37
goflamesgo18
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Just meant that his dad made a lot of money in his career and that family is well off. Not sure that will play much or if all a factor. I think tkachuks attitude toward winning and respect for guys like johnny mony and gio will be the biggest factor in him signing for a bit of a discount.
goflamesgo18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 10:35 AM   #38
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Tkachuk is the kind of player who would make me nervous on an expensive deal. He doesn't have shot-creating moves the way Gaudreau does, but he produces as if he does. He seems to overachieve for his skill level, and even for his quality of linemates. That's a good thing, but the sort of good thing that needs a huge sample size before you trust it.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 10:40 AM   #39
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Just meant that his dad made a lot of money in his career and that family is well off. Not sure that will play much or if all a factor. I think tkachuks attitude toward winning and respect for guys like johnny mony and gio will be the biggest factor in him signing for a bit of a discount.
Yeah, I knew what you meant. But part of the reason his dad made a lot of money was because he was a holdout to the point of being suspended by the Coyotes. He was demanding renegotiation within the contractual term.

I do think that the fact that this team is not built around one or two guys will be a positive aspect of the negotiations. Treliving can say "how much more do you mean to this team than Gio, Johnny, Monahan, Elias, etc".

I like that Tkachuk is represented by the same agency as Monahan and that extension negotiation was pretty calm and reasonable. And they owe Treliving because they also represent Stone and Neal.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:49 AM   #40
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I got it in two tiers:

Tkachuk
Gaudreau

Monahan
Lindholm
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote