Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-13-2018, 10:27 PM   #21
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

I also subscribe to The Athletic.

Love it.

But I totally agree and find Darren Haynes above and beyond with my Flames, he's the kind of talent that The Athletic should be seeking to employ.

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
CsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 10:45 PM   #22
Bend it like Bourgeois
Franchise Player

Exp:

Already a subscriber and I have found I enjoy the coverage from around the league as much or more than the flames coverage. I’d pay for Justin Bourne alone I think.

I understand bloggers have an audience, but it isn’t me (unless it’s Bingo), so please to more players and writers. Haynes would be great.
Bend it like Bourgeois is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bend it like Bourgeois For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2018, 11:01 PM   #23
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
Obligatory don't hire Eric Francis post.

Seriously, don't hire Eric Francis.
I am a subscriber to the Athletic. Eric Francis should have nothing to do with them.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2018, 11:27 PM   #24
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Darren Haynes, please and thank you. I'm sure that for more than half of us that he was our go to Flames writer before losing his sponsorship. We need more material from him.

Also, no Eric Francis. Hire him and I'm sure you'll lose half your Flames fan subscribers (only half kidding)
AustinL_NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AustinL_NHL For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2018, 11:51 PM   #25
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I am also a subscriber and I would love to see more in-depth interviews with coaches about strategy/tactics. I'd also like to see interviews with players covering specific aspects of the game similar to the Couture, Neal, Quick, et., pieces in The Player's Tribune.

Great work so far!
Savvy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Savvy27 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2018, 11:53 PM   #26
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
Convince the Flames (or even another team) to give you their actual draft order list, and then have your writers do one or more articles/analysis on it. I think that could be fascinating!

If you can't get the current list, I would even find a list from long ago interesting. Some of the lists from Darryl Sutter's years would be really interesting. Now that he's retired, maybe he would even be willing to talk about his process at the time.
This! This will get me to subscribe. Behind the scene stuff.

The actual story behind Iginla's trade from his, Flames, Bruins, Pens perspective.

Draft lists and how it could've been different had a different player been selected.

Talk to Daryl and get his thoughts on the 2004 run and the goal that wasn't a goal.

Free agents that left Calgary and ones that came to Calgary (Nolan, Amonte, Bertuzzi etc) their story and negotiations.

Trades that fell through. etc etc.

Not sure how much stuff people will talk about but that would be worth the money.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Da_Chief For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2018, 11:57 PM   #27
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have an athletic subscription. One suggestion would be to advertise or suggest your App. I recently found it (android smart phone) and use it often now. - didnt know about it before.

I also appreciate it for more then just the Flames articles and can appreciate how hard it would be to have paid writers covering so many markets.

I would recommend it to anyone.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:06 AM   #28
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm quite surprised. Darren Haynes does a great job, but we have somebody right here who is writing great articles, great analysis at the end of each game throughout the season.

I think Bingo is more then qualified to step into this position. I really find his articles insightful and on point. While it's a Flames centric website, he's cut his chops and his analysis which is exceptionally on point. I would like to see him fill the void of reporting for Alberta and the west.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to calgarywinning For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2018, 12:18 AM   #29
Flamette
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Beyond just the Flames, think it would be interesting to have players interviewing other players, coaches and other NHL personnel across the league.
Flamette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:28 AM   #30
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Hire Darren Haynes. Give him a platform, please. He deserves it endlessly after losing his sponsorship at Flames From 80 Feet. In my opinion, he's far-and-away the best and most thoughtful sports writer in the entire city.
I was wondering why he went from an article every week and a podcast to very little content on his blog over the past several weeks/months.

I agree I love his content he is the best
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:41 AM   #31
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'd consider the following people: Hayes, Bingo, Rhett Warrener, Rich Sutter.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:41 AM   #32
Jetfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Hire Darren Haynes. Give him a platform, please. He deserves it endlessly after losing his sponsorship at Flames From 80 Feet. In my opinion, he's far-and-away the best and most thoughtful sports writer in the entire city.
I was just going to say this, glad you did. Haynes is maybe my favorite Flames writer, and it's such a shame he lost his sponsorship. He always puts so much effort into letting us fans know everything he can provide regarding the Flames. I would subscribe to The Athletic probably on him alone.
Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 02:14 AM   #33
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I will also throw my name in the hat for Darren Haynes and Randy Sportak, good writers for sure.

I love love love behind the scenes stuff, stuff that your average fan doesn't know or see but personally interests ME. I love info on their workout regiment, diet change, how they deal with the travel, what happens on the road with all the downtime. I would even take it a step further and even get one of the writers to write pieces on the trainers, equipment staff, team Dr's etc. What REALLY goes into a road trip, a back to back's, how does the medical staff asses injuries and rehab etc.

I also think it would be a good idea to have opinion pieces from ex and current players, almost like the Players Tribune, some amazing insight there.

I am a long time newspaper guy and I am sad to see what has happened to their sports pages. I have subscribed to the Athletic since last summer and I have loved it and think I have more than gotten my money's worth. The Flames coverage might have been a little on the weaker side to start but I follow my team closely enough I know what is up, it was the NHL in general and the other teams that provided some excellent insight.

Welcome to the board and good luck with the next hire in Calgary and elsewhere!
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 02:41 AM   #34
Madrox
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
Welcome to the board

He's been here a while. If you look at his history, you can see him about 10 years ago here trying to talk about using some newfangled stats for analysis and people laughing at him actually trying to analyze hockey using numbers, of all crazy things. He was trying to tell us that Dion Phaneuf wasn't good at playing defence, and we didn't want to hear it.
Madrox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Madrox For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2018, 03:03 AM   #35
UKflames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Question for those of you that subscribe, is the Athletic available as an international subscription or is it firewalled to NA?

Hearing really good things about the coverage hockey wise and thinking of subscribing.
UKflames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to UKflames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2018, 03:29 AM   #36
da_nige
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKflames View Post
Question for those of you that subscribe, is the Athletic available as an international subscription or is it firewalled to NA?

Hearing really good things about the coverage hockey wise and thinking of subscribing.
I'd love to know this too (being in Scotland) and can't find the info on the website. A number of times LeBrun has linked to an article I want to read on Twitter but not being a subscriber I can't.
da_nige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 07:00 AM   #37
Drunk Uncle
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

For me I'd really like to see more articles revolving around deficiencies, successes and new ways to look at advanced stats and what they really tell us. "The Shot Quality Project" series of articles is a great example of what i'm thinking.
Drunk Uncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 07:02 AM   #38
James Mirtle
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKflames View Post

100%. We have tons of overseas subscribers. The app is especially useful for that.

We will even begin hiring European writers soon.

James Mirtle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to James Mirtle For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2018, 07:24 AM   #39
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

I live in the UK and subscribe. I’d recommend giving it a try when we get closer to the start of the season.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2018, 07:36 AM   #40
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

I think you guys should get Ray Ferraro to do a weekly opinion piece. He can be like Don Cherry but more lucid and just as cranky.

I also like the behind the scenes stuff Bourne does talking about training camp and summer pickup hockey.

Some lighter articles would be great.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote