Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2023, 11:51 AM   #1281
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
I’d change out the entire squad before getting rid of Klopp. He’d have endless rope from me, as long as he wants it.
Yeah, I'm sort of in that same boat. Its clear that his plan, when implemented properly, works incredibly well.

We've all known that this was coming at some point, they've made big strides in building in replacements for the front-3, but they've been sorely lacking in other positions.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 11:55 AM   #1282
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sacking him would bring so much heat to FSG that I seriously doubt it happens unless they completely implode into relegation territory. Better question might be does he make a play this summer of "give me a big budget or I walk? Now they definitely do need more investment, but it's not like Klopp is blameless here. He has too much loyalty to some players, unlike a Pep who is ruthless when he feels a player isn't up to the standard anymore (like with Cancelo), Klopp is more likely to give guys time. That loyalty is part of why their squad stinks right now, they should have had replacements for guys like Henderson and Milner ages ago, yet he persists with them.
Old 02-04-2023, 12:01 PM   #1283
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Sacking him would bring so much heat to FSG that I seriously doubt it happens unless they completely implode into relegation territory. Better question might be does he make a play this summer of "give me a big budget or I walk? Now they definitely do need more investment, but it's not like Klopp is blameless here. He has too much loyalty to some players, unlike a Pep who is ruthless when he feels a player isn't up to the standard anymore (like with Cancelo), Klopp is more likely to give guys time. That loyalty is part of why their squad stinks right now, they should have had replacements for guys like Henderson and Milner ages ago, yet he persists with them.
Very much, he needs a 'hatchet man' to show people the door.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 02-04-2023, 12:11 PM   #1284
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I’d change out the entire squad before getting rid of Klopp. He’d have endless rope from me, as long as he wants it.
Yeah I wouldn’t think he’s the issue and really, who do you bring in that could do better? I’m inclined to think you rotate the players first.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 12:26 PM   #1285
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

They dont have a midfield

Everyone pointed this out in the summer, I dont see how you blame klopp unless he is stubborn about it and thinks this is good enough
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2023, 04:56 PM   #1286
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
They dont have a midfield

Everyone pointed this out in the summer, I dont see how you blame klopp unless he is stubborn about it and thinks this is good enough
I’m sure Klopp and FSG share some blame in this, but either way it’s been a huge mistake not to re-invest in the midfield over the last couple of seasons. Now we are in a tough spot with needing 2-3 top class players to get back to competing for top 4, and we’ll struggle to recruit without CL to offer.

The drop in play isn’t exactly unexpected, but it certainly came faster and more drastically than I expected. It seems that the quantity of games over the last couple seasons took a huge toll.

Hopefully FSG decide if they are in or out here quickly so we can move on.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 06:00 PM   #1287
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was clear by the January window their midfield stunk and they signed only one player, a forward. Gakpo might turn out to be a great signing, but on a need basis they have let themselves persist with this midfield for a few windows now. Klopp, on some level, has to be ok with it, surely it's not a situation where he has no input on transfers. The all-in on Bellingham strategy was high risk, and if it worked it was possibly worth it, but the low end of the strategy has come to fruition and now they might miss on him too, although spending that £120+ million on three or four players might be a better play anyway considering their squad deficiencies. Bellingham along can't solve all their problems.
Old 02-04-2023, 08:10 PM   #1288
MegaErtz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Losing Mane is the key here. He should never have been allowed to walk. If online reports are true, he was told to choose between Mane and Salah, he chose Mane, and FSG chose Salah anyway.

The run and guy style of play that has been so great to watch under Klopp just doesn't work when your best forward player who was also your best defensive player is gone. Mane tracked back and won balls over and over and over again. Playing Alexander-Arnold as a right-back is also a huge mistake, and I don't understand why Klopp persists with it. Teams have figured Liverpool out, all they need to do is break on their left flank and he's almost always guaranteed to be ten yards ahead of where a normal right-back would be.

We all know they should have invested in the midfield. In fairness to Klopp, he hasn't had much of a choice in terms of showing loyalty to his players. He doesn't have a world class bench to swap players in whenever he wants. There aren't many clubs who finish in the top four starting an eighteen year old in central midfield, and that's what Klopp is stuck with.
MegaErtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 09:55 PM   #1289
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Mané is also 30 years old and has had his own struggles the last couple of years. He wouldn’t be able to fix these issues.

Klopp’s system depends on midfielders and centre backs being physically superior to opponents and constantly winning back balls. That physicality is gone and there are gaps all over the place now.

TAA would go right back to his form of the last couple years if he had prime Van Dijk and prime Henderson covering all the gaps behind him.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Big Chill For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2023, 06:57 AM   #1290
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Mané is also 30 years old and has had his own struggles the last couple of years. He wouldn’t be able to fix these issues.

Klopp’s system depends on midfielders and centre backs being physically superior to opponents and constantly winning back balls. That physicality is gone and there are gaps all over the place now.

TAA would go right back to his form of the last couple years if he had prime Van Dijk and prime Henderson covering all the gaps behind him.
I think Mane had some impact, of course, but the real issues are the midfield and defence. Like you say, VVD after his injury hasn’t been the same. Henderson and Milner are what…a million years of age? Father time is hard on everyone.
Old 02-05-2023, 07:35 AM   #1291
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brennan Johnson looks like a player. Will be interesting in the summer, I'd imagine there'll be a number of bigger PL teams circling.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 11:25 AM   #1292
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hard to believe Man City have still never scored in the new Spurs stadium. Be one thing if it was a match or two, but it's been five now.
Old 02-05-2023, 11:29 AM   #1293
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

We’re their bogey team. We just have their number more often than not it seems.

Warms my heart to know that guys like Windsor Pilates were happy to see the win today and Kane’s record breaker! Football creates strange bedfellows at times.
Old 02-05-2023, 11:32 AM   #1294
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

COYS! Never had doubts
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 11:34 AM   #1295
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
COYS! Never had doubts
So obvious that you’re not a Spurs fan!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2023, 11:51 AM   #1296
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope they give Kane some sort of trophy for his record.

Definitely think we can start talking about Arsenal as potential winners. City don't look as if they have it in them this year to go on a run.

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bagor For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2023, 12:10 PM   #1297
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

City look like they're out of gas. But there was nothing in last season that would make you think they'd be challenging this season.

Old 02-05-2023, 12:15 PM   #1298
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol! Nothing in last season? Just a 93 point, 99 goal season.
And then they signed Haaland.

No, no. Nothing to suggest they would be challenging!

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 12:44 PM   #1299
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

bwahahahahahaha

https://twitter.com/user/status/1622315653171404800
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2023, 01:08 PM   #1300
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
I hope they give Kane some sort of trophy for his record.

Definitely think we can start talking about Arsenal as potential winners. City don't look as if they have it in them this year to go on a run.
Arsenal still play City twice.
Depending what happens there, I'll start talking like it's a legit strong possibility.
City could win both of those so we are still a long ways to go.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote