Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2022, 02:21 AM   #421
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

No one claimed invincibility. So, on that account you’re arguing with a straw man.

It was a good game - the team handled the adversity well because up until the inexplicable triple substitution, Arsenal had the edge on play.

That said, I’d hardly call Tottenham’s run of fixtures to have been overly stretching this far into the season.

You can only get the results you get against those you play.

I’m content with how the results have gone and only been concerned by our play against Fulham and Villa - the latter of whom went on to get a draw with City.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2022, 03:00 AM   #422
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

like I said, I didn't think Arteta had it in him. But he has done a good job IMO and they are a really good side. But in a way, it's typical Arsenal, as in they are dying in beauty ... playing beautiful football, but they don't always turn that into results. They'll have to fix that. And as others have said, Arteta's ingame management is far from ideal. Ten Hags subs and adjustments were spot on, while Artetas triple sub completely killed them.

But all in all, I think Arsenal have done a good job these past few years and now they are a side to be taken seriously again. It's a good thing in my book ... the PL is better for it if Arsenal field a quality team.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2022, 07:01 AM   #423
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Random bit of info.
The last time The Spurs won the league was closer to the 1800s than to present time.

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 08:26 AM   #424
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
No one claimed invincibility. So, on that account you’re arguing with a straw man.

It was a good game - the team handled the adversity well because up until the inexplicable triple substitution, Arsenal had the edge on play.

That said, I’d hardly call Tottenham’s run of fixtures to have been overly stretching this far into the season.

You can only get the results you get against those you play.

I’m content with how the results have gone and only been concerned by our play against Fulham and Villa - the latter of whom went on to get a draw with City.
I think what you mean is that no one is arguing invincibility here. It's certainly been thrown out elsewhere along with hilarious ideas that they're winning the league or other hilarious prognostications. That squad is nowhere near deep enough to do any of that. They're in a battle for Europe, and if Chelsea falls enough they could scrape Champions League. My only fear with them is that at some point someone comes to their senses and they sack Arteta and bring in someone good.

And sure, we had Nottingham and Fulham so you can point to those and say our schedule hasn't been too difficult. We've also had our away games to Chelsea and West Ham though, and those are typically not good for us.

And as far as "the PL is better with Arsenal in it"...let's not be too hasty!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 09:01 AM   #425
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

meh. I'll take a proper club like Arsenal over disgusting sportswashing projects like City or Newcastle any day.

and I do miss those rivalries. United/Arsenal had such a mean streak in the 2000s, that was a ton of fun.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 09:06 AM   #426
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
meh. I'll take a proper club like Arsenal over disgusting sportswashing projects like City or Newcastle any day.

and I do miss those rivalries. United/Arsenal had such a mean streak in the 2000s, that was a ton of fun.
Yeah, it was mostly a joke! I mean the City/Newcastle issues are obviously not even part of the same stratosphere. I just hope City loses in the CL again, and that someone gives them a challenge for the title. But it's basically farcical. A nation-state throwing money at a sports club and somehow it's supposed to be fair.
Old 09-05-2022, 10:47 AM   #427
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will swear on anything that I’ve heard no one, certainly no one on this forum or anyone I know uttering the words ‘invincible’ or ‘title’.

Not sure if it was here, but I had us at 50/50 for top 4. And that was based on a hope we would strengthen the squad before deadline day.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2022, 10:52 AM   #428
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Yeah, it was mostly a joke! I mean the City/Newcastle issues are obviously not even part of the same stratosphere. I just hope City loses in the CL again, and that someone gives them a challenge for the title. But it's basically farcical. A nation-state throwing money at a sports club and somehow it's supposed to be fair.
I've sort of resigned myself to a 'down' season this year for Liverpool. I dont really know what thats going to entail, but its going to be a lot tougher than last year.

Last season was just a brutal grind, in it to the end in every competition, AFCON, making up huge ground in the League, etc. and then this season we're going to have the Winter World Cup thats going to throw a huge wrench in the works.

We had a great season last year, I wish we'd made up that last point or won the CL, but it is what it is and we move on.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2022, 11:07 AM   #429
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think what you mean is that no one is arguing invincibility here. It's certainly been thrown out elsewhere along with hilarious ideas that they're winning the league or other hilarious prognostications. That squad is nowhere near deep enough to do any of that.
So, some random comment sections on the internet had outlandish predictions, probably by bots, and you're coming in here to say "I told you so!" ?
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 11:40 AM   #430
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Arsenal played quite well till they tied the game up and their triple substitution. Christian Erikssen had an excellent game. Good to see him back to top form after his health scare.

Bruno Fernandes is a good player but he is always so bitchy.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 12:37 PM   #431
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I've sort of resigned myself to a 'down' season this year for Liverpool. I dont really know what thats going to entail, but its going to be a lot tougher than last year.

Last season was just a brutal grind, in it to the end in every competition, AFCON, making up huge ground in the League, etc. and then this season we're going to have the Winter World Cup thats going to throw a huge wrench in the works.

We had a great season last year, I wish we'd made up that last point or won the CL, but it is what it is and we move on.
I don't know what happens with the WC. It's obviously a problem in terms of rest and injuries, but it's a wild card. The teams come back from that (or their players do) and jump straight into the holiday season. It'll be interesting to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
So, some random comment sections on the internet had outlandish predictions, probably by bots, and you're coming in here to say "I told you so!" ?
I'm not saying I told you so, because I didn't. I don't know what to say if you guys didn't see the comments about the title and such though, because it's not like I made that up. There are deluded fans and it's the same group happily cheering on a guy who should be out of the lineup facing rape allegations. I'm definitely not saying that's posters like yourself or Barnet, because you guys seem like reasonable gentlemen (poor choice of club aside!)
Old 09-05-2022, 12:44 PM   #432
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Being called a “reasonable gentleman” is literally the best thing to have happened to me today.
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2022, 12:54 PM   #433
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
Being called a “reasonable gentleman” is literally the best thing to have happened to me today.
Hahaha, it really wasn't meant to be derogatory!
Old 09-05-2022, 01:05 PM   #434
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finding some randoms on social media and using them as some representation of an entire fanbase is definitely one of the worst things we see on the internet. As if there aren't Spurs fans who think they are winning the league (there are). One of the worst things about social media is that it essentially allows you to reverse engineering a take: Start with a take whether it's true or not, popular or not etc..., then search social media to find people who agree with said take, then come back and say "See, their fanbase thinks this!". In general from my social media experience this season I would say 85-90% of Arsenal's fan base are hoping for top four and thinking it's a realistic target; then the rest is split between hopelessly delusional (we're winning the league!) and endlessly negative (yesterdays loss means top half finish is best case).
Old 09-05-2022, 01:12 PM   #435
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Like I said above, I dont even know what to expect from Liverpool this season.

I'd imagine that they're going to finish in the Top 4, whereabouts though? Who knows.

That mid-season World Cup is not going to help.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 09-05-2022, 02:21 PM   #436
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Finding some randoms on social media and using them as some representation of an entire fanbase is definitely one of the worst things we see on the internet. As if there aren't Spurs fans who think they are winning the league (there are). One of the worst things about social media is that it essentially allows you to reverse engineering a take: Start with a take whether it's true or not, popular or not etc..., then search social media to find people who agree with said take, then come back and say "See, their fanbase thinks this!". In general from my social media experience this season I would say 85-90% of Arsenal's fan base are hoping for top four and thinking it's a realistic target; then the rest is split between hopelessly delusional (we're winning the league!) and endlessly negative (yesterdays loss means top half finish is best case).
If you think I actually searched for fans who think that they're winning the league, you're insane. You don't have to look far at all. Browse through the comments on the Score app or almost anything and you'll see these people. It's hardly a targeted search.
Old 09-05-2022, 02:39 PM   #437
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If you think I actually searched for fans who think that they're winning the league, you're insane. You don't have to look far at all. Browse through the comments on the Score app or almost anything and you'll see these people. It's hardly a targeted search.
Well, sanity is all relative anyways.

It is conceivable that some of the smaller or mid-table clubs might be in with an interesting shout this season though.

The mid-table clubs are going to lose fewer players to the World Cup and even get something of a mid-season break, whereas the bigger clubs might see their form dip due to the overworking of their star players.

Its going to be an interesting scenario.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2022, 02:45 PM   #438
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

The ultimate troll job from someone that didn't even watch the game. And then goes and says..... But.. but someone on the internet said it!

Another HUGE season for The Spurs. All this talk of Arsenal not having played a quality team whilst asides from being absolutely dominated by Chelsea neither have they.

They'll be scraping for a CL spot. Kane won't be handcuffing himself again and will move on if they don't. Conte too.

It is not out there to speculate that this time next year Slippy, Brenton, Frank or even Ole could be managing a Kaneless Spurs.

Difference between the clubs is Arsenal appear to have a plan. The Spurs? Constant patching. Next few weeks with games every 3-4 days will tell its story.

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 03:01 PM   #439
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I mean you are admitting to taking the time to go read the comments of a match that doesn't involve your team, because.....because why exactly? I assume it's because you know the most extreme and delusional fans are the ones who comment on these things, and would probably be ripe for a bunch of "LOL Arsenal fans are delusional" takes. But again, finding six comments on the Score app and acting like it's all Arsenal fans is a stretch. You can find Spurs fans in comment boxes thinking they are winning the league, even as that is some extreme delusion as well.

But this is all getting kinda sidetracked. If you wanna live in an alternate world where up to yesterday the majority of Arsenal fans had the last days of May 2023 already booked off in advance of the parade and parties of being the league champs, have pre-ordered their Dom P, are getting tattoos done for the 22/23 Invincibles etc... have fun. Beauty of the internet pretty much.
Old 09-05-2022, 08:09 PM   #440
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
I mean you are admitting to taking the time to go read the comments of a match that doesn't involve your team, because.....because why exactly? I assume it's because you know the most extreme and delusional fans are the ones who comment on these things, and would probably be ripe for a bunch of "LOL Arsenal fans are delusional" takes. But again, finding six comments on the Score app and acting like it's all Arsenal fans is a stretch. You can find Spurs fans in comment boxes thinking they are winning the league, even as that is some extreme delusion as well.

But this is all getting kinda sidetracked. If you wanna live in an alternate world where up to yesterday the majority of Arsenal fans had the last days of May 2023 already booked off in advance of the parade and parties of being the league champs, have pre-ordered their Dom P, are getting tattoos done for the 22/23 Invincibles etc... have fun. Beauty of the internet pretty much.
No one else reads about other games or the comments? I mean I get that as a City fan there's nothing much of interest once the window closes, but for me, I read all kinds of things about the league and various happenings.

And while these comments might not be representative of all Arsenal supporters, if you somehow think I didn't enjoy them folding at the first brush with a top half team, you're sadly mistaken. It was great.