Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2023, 11:04 AM   #21
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan55 View Post
Curious as I don't actually know the answer. Wouldn't Tanguay have to be promoted to come to Calgary? Isn't he already an associate coach in Detroit? Don't think he can just leave that role without a promotion??
Tanguay is an assistant coach in Detroit. An associate would be a promotion.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 11:11 AM   #22
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
Curious... Do teams ever have more than one Associate coach? Until I saw this I just assumed they only had one associate coach, if they had one.
I think Associate Coach is generally a title handed out to show career progression - making it easier to take an assistant from another team. Believe we did it with Ward, who was an Assistant Coach with New Jersey, but became an Associate Coach with us.

Not sure why they don’t just go with “Sr. Assistant Coach”, but whatever.

Not sure if teams have employed more than one Associate at a time.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 11:14 AM   #23
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya snooze, ya lose.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2023, 11:15 AM   #24
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know that Brunette had appeal because of his relationship with Huberdeau but I thought someone on 960 said it well when they explained that maybe handpicking (or being seen as handpicking) the Head Coach to make Huberdeau happy actually could put a bunch of additional pressure on him.

I think finding a guy who has a clear vision for how he wants to help Huberdeau thrive as a Flame and within the confines of the teammates that he has here is a better outcome than hiring a guy who is seen as Huberdeau’s personal choice. Brunette’s system might have helped Huberdeau achieve his success in his time as a Panther but there’s no real guarantee that it will perfectly translate here with the makeup of the team and the team would have heaped a bunch of additional pressure on Huberdeau’s shoulders.

Last edited by ben voyonsdonc; 05-30-2023 at 11:18 AM.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to ben voyonsdonc For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2023, 12:58 PM   #25
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Well thats disappointing. Was hoping to see Brunette land here.
greyshep is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to greyshep For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2023, 01:38 PM   #26
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I've got it down to Love or Tanguay. Dark Horses, Gallant or Roy.

Love or Tanguay --

Gallant or Roy --
Old 05-30-2023, 01:43 PM   #27
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

There’s a lot of smoke around Gallant. Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s him.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 02:52 PM   #28
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben voyonsdonc View Post
I know that Brunette had appeal because of his relationship with Huberdeau but I thought someone on 960 said it well when they explained that maybe handpicking (or being seen as handpicking) the Head Coach to make Huberdeau happy actually could put a bunch of additional pressure on him.

I think finding a guy who has a clear vision for how he wants to help Huberdeau thrive as a Flame and within the confines of the teammates that he has here is a better outcome than hiring a guy who is seen as Huberdeau’s personal choice. Brunette’s system might have helped Huberdeau achieve his success in his time as a Panther but there’s no real guarantee that it will perfectly translate here with the makeup of the team and the team would have heaped a bunch of additional pressure on Huberdeau’s shoulders.
Yes, I agree. One example of this is how Keenan was a huge flop in Vancouver after he was brought in to try and spark Messier.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 03:02 PM   #29
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
We don't know his contract situation. Is the a cap friendly for coaches?
CF lists some coaches salaries but it can only go by reported info.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 04:56 PM   #30
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
Gotta feel for Hynes but his days were numbered with a new GM.
Nashville kinda did him dirty. Nashville had brutal injuries this year and they were playing meaningful games late into the season.

He will get another shot in the NHL.
Old 05-30-2023, 04:56 PM   #31
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Treliving's biggest failing was the inability to identify and hire the right coach.

I was hoping for Brunette, but Conroy wasn't able to convince him or got the call too late.... it is what it is.

Just need to ensure this is a good hire. Gallant isn't the guy, imo, due to him wearing out his welcome...and he's 'old school' so closer to Sutter than Jon Cooper... not sure if that is the right coach to turn to next.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2023, 05:50 PM   #32
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gallant IS a guy that could possibly get this team back to 100+ points and you know he wouldn't be in over his head when it comes to managing an NHL bench and making in game decisions.

How is he with young players? Any track record there?

He also has history with Hubs and Weegs. If they sign off on it, might not be a bad hire to facilitate a bounce back.

And you can still promote love to the NHL as an assistant and get him some valuable experience, keep him from jumping ship and still have that familiarity with young players coming up from the farm.

I'm kinda talking myself into Gallant o be honest.

Last edited by Roof-Daddy; 05-30-2023 at 06:00 PM.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 05:59 PM   #33
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
I think Associate Coach is generally a title handed out to show career progression - making it easier to take an assistant from another team. Believe we did it with Ward, who was an Assistant Coach with New Jersey, but became an Associate Coach with us.

Not sure why they don’t just go with “Sr. Assistant Coach”, but whatever.

Not sure if teams have employed more than one Associate at a time.
It probably varies by franchise and who the head coach is, but I think it is often the case where associate coaches get paid more, and get more responsibilities.
Old 05-30-2023, 06:03 PM   #34
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great point about pressure on Huberdeau. That was Eric Francis positing that.

Huberdeau doesn’t need a coach to hold his hand. He has been unsuccessful under one coach. That was Sutter. Guy has had several coaches and improved and/or thrived under each. He’s a stud with one bad year.
Old 05-30-2023, 07:04 PM   #35
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Gallant IS a guy that could possibly get this team back to 100+ points and you know he wouldn't be in over his head when it comes to managing an NHL bench and making in game decisions.

How is he with young players? Any track record there?

He also has history with Hubs and Weegs. If they sign off on it, might not be a bad hire to facilitate a bounce back.

And you can still promote love to the NHL as an assistant and get him some valuable experience, keep him from jumping ship and still have that familiarity with young players coming up from the farm.

I'm kinda talking myself into Gallant o be honest.
Re: the bolded part. No. Absolute hard no from me. That really is allowing the inmates to run the asylum. Soliciting an opinion is one thing, but what this team badly needs is actual "management" and "direction".

It needs Management to have a vision, choose the personnel they think can execute their vision, and work it. It's not the players' place to pick the vision they like best and the people they like best...and if they don't like it, as much as it looks like a train wreck from the outside....trade 'em if you can, or sit with the problem the prior group created until it falls apart. Terrible from a fan perspective, but the owner made his choice(s). Too bad if he doesn't like the results now.
Old 05-30-2023, 07:06 PM   #36
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxbuster View Post
Re: the bolded part. No. Absolute hard no from me. That really is allowing the inmates to run the asylum. Soliciting an opinion is one thing, but what this team badly needs is actual "management" and "direction".

It needs Management to have a vision, choose the personnel they think can execute their vision, and work it. It's not the players' place to pick the vision they like best and the people they like best...and if they don't like it, as much as it looks like a train wreck from the outside....trade 'em if you can, or sit with the problem the prior group created until it falls apart. Terrible from a fan perspective, but the owner made his choice(s). Too bad if he doesn't like the results now.

Yeah, "sign off on it" was poor phrasing.

I just meant find out if they thought he was a good coach and not a total A hole. You literally cannot hire a coach the players hate after what just happened with Sutter this past season.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2023, 07:03 AM   #37
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

People talk about Gallant wearing out his welcome but did he really in New York? They had a pretty great regular season and the Devils series could have gone either way. Their owner is a bit of a nutcase and I'd say that was more the reason for the change there.

The bigger question with him is if you want structure or not. Gallant really just lets the players play. That seems to often have success early on. The other question is, do the Flames have a window right now or not? If you think they do, he could probably get the most out of it for the next 2-3 years.

Last edited by Sidney Crosby's Hat; 06-02-2023 at 07:05 AM.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 10:31 AM   #38
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney Crosby's Hat View Post
People talk about Gallant wearing out his welcome but did he really in New York? They had a pretty great regular season and the Devils series could have gone either way. Their owner is a bit of a nutcase and I'd say that was more the reason for the change there.

The bigger question with him is if you want structure or not. Gallant really just lets the players play. That seems to often have success early on. The other question is, do the Flames have a window right now or not? If you think they do, he could probably get the most out of it for the next 2-3 years.
With Gallant, it seems to be more an issue of how he gets along with management, not the players.
Old 06-02-2023, 10:43 AM   #39
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
Treliving's biggest failing was the inability to identify and hire the right coach.

I was hoping for Brunette, but Conroy wasn't able to convince him or got the call too late.... it is what it is.

Just need to ensure this is a good hire. Gallant isn't the guy, imo, due to him wearing out his welcome...and he's 'old school' so closer to Sutter than Jon Cooper... not sure if that is the right coach to turn to next.
Treliving could have gained a ton of insight if he had done extensive interviews. Just hiring people that he has had conversations with or gut feelings about left him without a treasure trove of information. The way the Flames are doing it now has people coming to the fFames from different teams, and organizations from all levels. It will be pretty hard for people to blame Conroy if the coaching the hires don't work as well as they should, At least you know that he's taking the time to exhaust every search.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 11:17 AM   #40
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney Crosby's Hat View Post

I thought I read that part of New York's decision to part ways with Gallant was the exit interviews from the players.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote